UVA vs Georgia Tech for CS + Econ

Kid is trying to decide between UVA (Echols scholar) and Georgia Tech. At UVA, they would be interested in McIntire and double majoring in CS. At Georgia Tech, looking to major in CS + Econ. Career-wise, would like to go to IB or Consulting. We are in state for UVA, but cost is not a big factor in decision making. Interested to hear from others if they had similar decision and if so, suggestions. Planning to visit both schools. Thank you.

Very different schools. Don’t see the point of asking. Visit and decide.

3 Likes

I think this is the correct answer. Both have stellar reputations, and will have plenty of connections. But the campus, and culture of both schools are very different. Pick the one that feels better to the student.

2 Likes

If he loves CS then GT would be tough to pass-up.

If he’s more rounded then either one would be good. Both are different. Visit both and decide.

He might want to consider other paths. The ISyE program is a good blend of CS/math/business. I’m surprised at my son’s CS knowledge.

https://www.isye.gatech.edu/academics/bachelors/industrial-engineering/curriculum/economic-financial-systems-concentration

2 Likes

I’d lean toward UVA if the interest is consulting or IB but with two hesitations:

1. You have to get into McIntire - it’s not direct admit

2. So many say they want to go into IB or Consulting - yet so many have no idea what either really is (and they are broad and can go in 100 different directions) - so saying you want to do it and getting to see the job descriptions and wanting to do them - and the insane hours - are two different things. Also, consulting and IB are not necessarily related - so when I hear kids want to do this - i’m just hearing HS kids reading - that’s who makes the big coin without having a clue as to what they are.

There’s no bad choice - but I beleive UVA is better suited for #2 above.

But 100% agreed these are very different - just outside the campus walls, as an example - and that’s just the beginning.

3 Likes

Thank you for the response. He is looking into ISyE also. Is your son currently in GA Tech/ISyE?

1 Like

Thank you. One of his concerns is that McIntire is not a direct admit.

He’s a senior on co-op.

Industrial engineering has a rep as being the easiest engineering degree. It probably is but not by much.

Not as intense for physical sciences for sure but they have the same math sequence as all the other engineers. Add several more like discrete for CS and probability/stats for IE classes.

I told him he should get a minor in some type of computing since he’s at GT. He laughed and showed me his schedule. I think he’s had a CS class every semester.

First off congrats on your child having two fantastic options.

One thing i would do is understand what benefits being an Echols scholar would provide – at some colleges it can be meaningful.

But in general his options include two different schools/environments. Assuming the colleges are both comfortably affordable I’d revisit and let your child decide.

2 Likes

If he wants to be in I banking or consulting, Econ is likely a better major and it’s not in McIntire.

1 Like

Thank you. We are planning to visit both. Re: Echols, our understanding is that it waives gen-ed classes and gives priority registration for classes, so hoping that helps with McIntire. So only McIntire-specific gen-ed reqs need to be taken.

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s interesting. I’ll have him look at IsyE and the curriculum more.

Sounds like your son would want to do McIntire(although no guarantee there) and Computer Science (BA, not the BS in Engineering) at UVA.

Economices and BS in Computer Science at Georgia Tech ( in the School of Computing). Industrial and Systems Engineering is in Engineering. Is it hard to switch into Engineering at Georgia Tech?

In the past you were basically allowed one freebie major transfer at GT. After that it was reviewed and no guarantee. CS might be different now. Very competitive and space limitations.

My son transferred from business to ISyE. GT admits students that could succeed in any major. At least that’s what admissions told us.

Thar’s great he could transfer. Was he behind in switching from business to engineering classes or did he make the switch before he even started school?

He switched after first semester. He wasn’t behind but he had a ton of AP credits so he’ll graduate in 3 years which has allowed him to co-op and intern without struggling to juggle classes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.