UVA won't accept my credits

<p>Thanks 3321. I don’t think I’ll try and get that counsellor fired. She will definitely hear about it, but I think getting her fired is a bit too much as long as it was an honest mistake. Also, Thanks for sharing that story, it really drives the point home. All those years and she doesn’t get her masters due to an oversight? It really shows the importance of keeping up with your own affairs.</p>

<p>You should be getting your advice from you HS counselor not a CC counselor since you are a senior in HS. They are trained to give you advice on what you need to do as an entering freshman/1st year for the college process.There is a very distinct difference in being a student applying initially to college than a transfer student. </p>

<p>The other issue that needs to be addressed is the difference between guaranteed admission which entails a formal contract program between VA colleges and a CC student. The student basically completes a program with the end result at the CC level in earning a two-year degree and then gets into a VA four Gen-Ed program if all criteria per the contract are met. Note: Meeting the gen-ed requirement does not mean you are automatically accepted into a specific program ie business. The other is being a transfer student from a cc or other college in-which a student earns a minimum of 24 credits, making them eligible to transfer, but does not guarantee them admission to any VA college or any other for that matter. </p>

<p>You should be working with your HS counselor from here in out. Also, you need to understand that your DE credits may transfer pending on two things, they match another level of program as the college you are entering and they do not satisfy any HS course you needed to graduate for your HS diploma for your district (basically you cannot double dip). Not once have you mentioned your HS counselor and their take on all of this or their advice. </p>

<p>If getting into UVA or any other college you previously listed such as any VA college, GW and Georgetown was as easy as earning 24 credits with a great GPA from a VA CC they would be overrun with students going that route. Again, the college application process is about working with your HS counselor and reading all the criteria colleges put forth for you to meet to obtain a possible acceptance. </p>

<p>Good luck to you as you work through this process.</p>

<p>While it is a shame my friend didn’t get her masters, it wasn’t simply an oversight. She did mistakenly believe that she could complete an action research paper, but never even started that. She was late with the thesis (kept changing the focus), then thought well, since I am late I will graduate with the next group and do action research. She never started the action research, and about the same time was told she couldn’t go that route, she had to complete her thesis. She was given time…I think maybe it is 5 years…but she didn’t. She was no longer with a “cohort” completing their program and thesis together, and time just kept going by. She might have put forth the effort if she never deluded herself with waiting the year, I don’t know. I just wanted to highlight an aspect many people are possibly unaware of,and that I was reminded of when reading your story (though no adviser misled my friend). The catalog you start your program with, is the catalog you use to chart your progress/requirements towards your BA/BS, Masters etc…even if completing the degree takes longer than the typical 4 years for undergrad, 2 for masters.</p>

<p>There are many selective colleges that do not accept dual enrollment classes for credit, if the classes were taken inside a high school. The dual enrollment materials I have read warn high school students to check with each individual college to determine their policies.</p>

<p>UVa recognizes DE courses. </p>

<p>[Dual</a> Enrollment Credit — Undergraduate, College of Arts & Sciences, U.Va.](<a href=“http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/college/admissions/dual_enrollment_credit.html]Dual”>http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/college/admissions/dual_enrollment_credit.html)</p>

<p>By the way, most public schools in the state have articulation agreements with the VCCS. Plenty of privates have them, too. See them here:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.vccs.edu/Students/TransferList/tabid/106/Default.aspx[/url]”>http://www.vccs.edu/Students/TransferList/tabid/106/Default.aspx&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;