UVM Honors College vs UW? Help

<p>Ok, so I got into UVM's Honors College and UW. If I do not get into UW's honors college, which would be more beneficial to attend?</p>

<p>You need to read about each program on their website. UW has an Honors Program, not a “college”. UW does not segregate Honors students in any dorm. Students can choose to join any semester, although too many semesters later means no chance of enough courses for an Honors degree. UW has some sequences in calculus, chemistry and physics, ILS (integrated liberal studies) open to freshmen with Biocore after taking the requisite Organic chemistry. There are Honors courses, Honors sections of courses and making arrangements to get Honors credit by doing more in some courses all four years. There are no specific “seminars” or survey courses required. There are activities available and an emailing of events (anyone can sign up to receive these emails of opportunities). You can sign up for the UW Honors program at a later semester if you don’t get in first semester freshman year.</p>

<p>btw- what is UVM?</p>

<p>UVM is University of Vermont</p>

<p>This is not the first time I have seen the U of Vermont referred to as “UVM” on CC. Why not the postal standard “UVT”? (compare: U of Virginia is “UVA”)</p>

<p>I think it is some latin thing but I know that Vermont is always referred to as UVM.</p>

<p>Both are very good schools but very different campus feel. As stated above you can apply to Honors program at UW at a later time. So I would not let that affect your decision on the best match for you. Depending on where you live Vermont is very hard to get to via airplane and costly from the midwest. When we were planning our visit there were not daily flights and the price was in the $700.00 range round trip. I would visit both campuses and get a feel for the best fit for your personality. My son loved everything about UW Madison and was fortunate to get in from the waitlist last year. He is so happy there. Although he liked Vermont it was not the best match for him. Academically, Vermont has been considered a university that is moving up the ladder in ratings and gaining more popularity due to its beautiful campus. Best of luck to you.</p>