UW Commencement

Well, our UW student graduated this weekend, and what a weekend! Well organized, with excellent communication in advance to parents and graduates-to-be about each step along the way. Department and College events on Friday were enjoyable, with “swag” for the graduate and family. The main event, at Camp Randall, was picture perfect and just the right length at 90 minutes. Shuttle buses ran to Camp Randall from various points around campus, the graduates were all given water bottles as they were on the field, dressed in black. The speakers were eloquent and had the good sense not to go on too long. We were part of our first (and presumably last) Jump around.

A bittersweet celebration, as who would want to actually leave Madison after a weekend like that. But a final opportunity for us to appreciate what a phenomenal university UW is. On Wisconsin!

Another thought (and I realize there is no question here, just statements) – the UW students we met at various events were very impressive, and off to wonderful post-grad opportunities. At the L&S Honors ceremony, there were students entering Princeton Ph.D. program biochem or neuroscience (I can’t recall which) and MIT School of Business. Other students we met were double majors in nuclear engineering and computer science, or computer science and psychology. So many impressive young people who took full advantage of all that UW has to offer.

Congratulations to your son! He will find UW alumni clubs all over the country if he chooses to join in local events (I never did).

I still remember my UW graduation eons ago at camp Randall. We sat in the stands. Don’t remember the Honors stuff though. BA/BS degree students did not get to have names announced or walk the stage like advanced degree students did. Son’s graduation was one of several held in the Kohl Center. He got to walk the stage- I suspect his name was mispronounced because he wrote it phonetically in his usual microscopic printing. The disadvantage was for the speakers et al who had to repeat themselves and be present for several ceremonies over 3 days. L&S was split alphabetically into two sessions- son’s added major meant morning instead of afternoon, darn, so we went to Madison the night before instead of a day trip plus lunch and not dinner after. He did not choose to be involved in any L&S Honors stuff the day before.

OP- please continue to be helpful on the UW site for CC.

Congrats!

My graduation was at the Kohl Center and Greta Van Susteren was the speaker.

When you say Wisconsin…

Congratulations!!!