UW Comp Sci

Hi, I’m an Asian male living in Washington, WA. I’m wondering what you think my chances are in getting into Direct Admit into University of Washington’s School of Computer Science.

My Stats Are:
GPA(uw): 3.90
SAT Score: 1570/1600

Extracurriculars: JV Tennis(freshman year)Varsity Tennis(sophomore - senior year)
Model UN(junior-senior year)
Community Service: 80+ hours
Awards: Second Place in regional solo instrument competition for instrument.
AP Scores:
Environmental Science: 5
AP Physics 1: 4
AP Lang: 4
AP World: 5
AP US History: 5
AP Calc AB: 5
AP Lit: 5

Total College level classes completed by graduation: 12

UW doesn’t use SAT scores in admission (in most cases). They will be looking at your grades, rigor, extracurriculars, and essays.

For in-state freshmen, 27% of applicants to the CS major were admitted for Fall 2021 entry. Freshmen by the numbers | Office of Admissions

You’ll also want to have other schools on your list that will take your strong SAT score into account. Where else are you planning to apply?

3 Likes

I agree with @tamagotchi. I would put U.Washington into the “definitely worth applying” and “not a safety” categories.

If you get accepted directly into the CS program, then it is a very good university with a strong CS program.

I agree that I think you have a legitimate shot at UW for CS. Additionally, someone posted earlier today that they had heard of a number of high stat students who had been rejected to CS and then were later accepted after an appeal. Obviously, that is not the most desirable path, but I did think it was good information to know for people who might end up in that situation.

As others have mentioned, however, this is not a safety. You want to make sure you apply to at least one school where you are extremely likely to be admitted into your major, that your family is able to afford, and that you would be happy to attend. If you need suggestions for additional schools to consider, let us know.

Thanks for reply, I do have a safety in WSU (Washington State) but I’d like suggestions for other schools to consider.

1 Like

What’s the budget? What geographic areas would you prefer to stay in? Do you prefer urban, suburban, or rural, or do you not care? Do you prefer larger schools, or would you prefer a different size? Are there certain types of experiences you’d like to have while you’re in college?

If you’re trying to remain in the west with a price not too dissimilar from the costs for in-state Washington students, then you may want to consider U. of Utah, Oregon State, or Cal Poly - Pomona, all of which are WUE schools which offer discounted tuition to residents of the western U.S.

If you give us more information about what you’re looking for in a college (along with your budget), we can make more tailored suggestions of safeties for you.

Yeah, my son has similar stats, but we’re from California so have the dreaded 3% admittance figure with which to contend. We visited UW during the summer during a beautiful stretch of weather and were very impressed.

University of Arizona already admitted my son into CS with the $30,000/yr award carrot which drops tuition to about $6K. You might want to consider applying there as an alternative or complement to WSU. There was no additional writing supplement so it was just a matter of paying the $70-80 fee to apply.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.