UW Madison Deferred

@Zachnkess are you in-state or OOS?

In state @JBStillFlying

The 3.43 - assuming that’s your un-weighted - is low but the 30 ACT is very good for in-state. You do have a good shot. If your unweighted is lower than 3.43 you might be in trouble.

@JBStillFlying yeah 3.43 is my weighted GPA but my school doesn’t give us unweighted so it’s probably pretty low

Around 90% of Wisconsin resident applicants with a 30 ACT or higher are admitted. My guess is your unweighted GPA is a factor in the deferral.

You can calculate your unweighted gpa easily. Add up the points for grades (A=4) and divide by the total…

Does anyone have any idea when we should hear back for deferred decisions? I know the letter said by the end of March but I was hoping maybe it’d be sooner than that… Thanks!

I thought the deferred decisions would be released with the regular decisions, but now I think they must be rolling. My son has a friend at school who was deferred but has now been accepted. He has a hook though, and will be rowing on the men’s team.

Has anyone else heard back as far a final decision goes from being deferred?

I think we hear when all the other RD people hear - end of March.

I’m from MN too and really wanting to hear because UW Madison > UMN

My son applied EA and was deferred. I believe the letter said he would be notified by email regarding next steps in February. He never received an email, but I went on his application status page on MyUW shortly after getting the deferred notice (1/22) and saw there was a new section under “Admissions” for Mid-Year Grades. He filled in this section with his first semester grades and added a few things in the comments area. I’ve checked back periodically and nothing had changed. But today I took a look and that Mid-Year Grades section is now gone. Has anyone else noticed this? Did the system glitch and should I be concerned my son’s updates have not been received? Did others receive an email with required next steps after being deferred?

@redwingmom he should have received an e-mail regarding sending in mid-year grades. On the Student Center they provide a copy of all e-mails sent out. You/he might want to check that list to see what’s on there.

My UW has removed the Mid-Year grade tab as well. I’m assuming they have gotten all the data they need and are making admissions decisions! No need to be worried.

When should we expect to hear back?? Mid-March? Sooner?

After being deferred back in January I found out tonight I was also wait listed.

I got accepted today completely random so not sure what release dates are

My daughter has also gone from deferred to waitlisted.

Does anyone know how the waitlist works? It says in her letter that she will be added in “unranked” order to the waitlist. Does that mean than they will pull kids off the waitlist at random to fill empty slots? It also says that they may let her know as late as June. UW-Madison is still her first choice and if she finally gets admitted in June that will really mess up her housing if she has to wait that long. Not to mention the loss of deposit at her second choice school.

I just wanted to come back to this thread and give future kids and parents hope.

My D17 applied in October, was deferred in January and waitlisted in March. She came off the waitlist this week and will be a Badger this fall. We did lose the deposit at her 2nd choice school but that couldn’t be helped. We needed it as a back-up plan. She “met” a girl online (Facebook, maybe?) who also came off the waitlist this week and they applied to be roommates. She did update her application twice: once to add her grades and then again to add another (glowing) recommendation and other academic and athletic honors.

Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist and for all the students and parents who are reading this next year!

Please check your HS Naviane. It will give you statistics regarding students that were deferred and eventually accepted. Common data set is good to estimate your chances.

Did you end up finding an admissions representative for your region? I’m from California and got deferred in December. I wanted to send a letter of interest to my UW admissions rep but I could only find the contact info for general admissions. I LOVE UW-Madison and it is my top choice, so I wanted to express my interest to admissions.