UW Madison Deferred

Hello I studied in an Indian curriculum school and my grades are pretty good if not the best, grade 9 -9.8/10 CGPA, grade 10 - 10/10 CGPA and grade 11- 89.9 % (its freaking tough) and grade 12 predicted score given by school - 96.4%(IDK how). SAT 1440 750-M, 690-R; and ACT -32 with a superscore of 33(if it helps) Toefl -110. I have had around 350 hours of volunteer service and I guess my essay is alright, not the best but pretty good. I have done 1 internship in Robotics and CS(my intended major so I hope it helps) and a summer Program at Boston in Robotics and involved in a lot of cricket and basketball 9 through 12. Also I have Subject tests : 800 on math 2, Chem and Phy.

I live in Bahrain so sports opportunities are minute, although I was in the reserves team for Bahrain National cricket team and went to Malaysia for the ACC U-16 cricket cup and also inter-school cricket events and am active in basketball in my school although we have no proper tournaments or organization.

I wish to pursue Robotics and have made that clear in my essay and tried to show my love for it and why I am interested in it. I have strong Recs and I love going to MUNs, I have been to 13 MUNs including one inside UNHQ in New York where I won a verbal mention and have won over 5 wards. My activity essay is based on MUN conferences. I dont really aim for Scholarship, tution should be fine.

I took the ACER examination for Science and Maths(not soooo prestigious) and got 100 percentile internationally and high distinction in maths. I also was a part of a cricket tour to India under CFI( cricket federation of India).

I am part of a global community at Young Scientist’s Journal (www.ysjounal.com) and am an editor and have edited over 15 articles based on Science. I am also part of a community called Young Coders who are working on making a website.

I wish to major in CE or CS and am an international student living in Bahrain, what do you guys think about me?

Looks like your stats are competitive. Your main concern is affordability. We do not need/want that information but your parents need to be able to pay all of your costs in the US. Be sure they are aware of this and have the finances to send you to the US for school.

I see you started your own thread.

you really think I stand a chance with these stats? Also fees will not a be a problem thanks for the info though.

Do not be insecure and ask for more confirmation. You will either be 100% in or out. All students should have backup schools and will know in a couple of months. Be patient.

Its tough but I think you are right, gotta be patient thanks.

if my d was deferred and we wanted to intent to enroll somewhere else to get a certain housing= that is ok right and then withdraw there if we find out about madison ?

Yes, because nobody should have to commit officially until May 1. Is the enrollment deposit refundable if sent early?

the deposit is something like 200. i just don’t want madison to find out if she enrolled somewhere else before hearing from then bc its her first choice

It seems some public schools may ask for housing deposit to hold “place in line” for housing, and most of it is refundable if the student does not enroll/attend. My own UW kid put in housing deposits at Indiana and Iowa before got admission decision from UW. Once he was admitted to UW, he accepted offer, and notified other schools he was not attending, and got the refundable portion of deposit back from other schools.

Read the fine print on other school’s deposit info – it almost always seems to be largely refundable if the student notifies the school before May 1 they are not, in fact, attending. Usually $50-100 is withheld for administrative costs.

but madison won’t find out and that won’t decrease her chance to get in right?

@upsetone no worries - Madison AO’s are busy enough without snooping on their applicants to find out where else they have applied! As @Midwestmomofboys has explained, if an early enrollment deposit is required to secure housing then your student is fine sending that in as a backup - in fact, it’s smart. Just make sure a good portion of it is refundable because that action can get pretty expensive otherwise.

Schools don’t make any announcements on enrollees and so forth till after Decision Day. They know that a bunch of last minute enrollments will drop or be added till that time.

Hope your D gets into her first choice!

ok- so the 200 deposit to enroll is not refundable- our main concern is we don’t want madison finding out bc thats her first choice

U’s are not wasting their time paying attention to other schools’ admissions.

Important. If you make a housing (Res Halls) and university deposit then choose not to attend UW before the May 1st (?) deadline you need to inform each separately in writing (whatever today’s equivalent is- email?) to get the deposits back. Res Halls and UW will not tell each other, you need to tell each one. And by deadlines. They are separate (although connected in some ways) entities.

In the past once you sign a Res Halls contract you are bound by it unless you do not attend. If you plan to attend but choose a different housing option you will lose money. But- because typically Res halls fills and has a waiting list you might be able to negotiate a way out of the contract.

DS was deferred from UW, and has now updated mid term grades. Does anyone know when we will hear back? Has anyone deferred heard back yet?

middle of march most likely

did she apply EA

@upsetone my son was deferred during EA.

my daughter too- hoping early march

anyone have any more news when decisions will be released?

anyone know anything about decisions ?