UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

@BillPilgrim

DC’s headed to University of Chicago. Madison ended up being the only other school she applied to. Loved both schools.

@Rahulbarcafan according to the school websites: Purdue is 8th in the nation, Madison is 14th.
Overall university rankings: Madison is 38, Purdue is 70. Both are very good.

@exacademic WOW! Congrats!

@Rahulbarcafan US News & World Report released their latest ratings not too long ago. Purdue was #61 overall, #9 overall in engineering, and #6 in mechanical engineering. UW’s latest ratings are #41, #14, & #14, respectively. The following website took the highest ranked engineering schools according to US News & World Reports and ranked them according to their return on investment calculated by Payscale. UW was #24 and Purdue was #17

http://www.■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/top-25-ranked-engineering-programs-with-the-best-return-on-investment/

My daughter is in a similar situation, already admitted into Purdue’s engineering program but anxiously awaiting UW’s admit decision. She is thinking Chemical or Biomedical engineering, where UW ranks higher than Purdue. For my daughter, it was more of the feeling she got walking around the campus. She refused to even visit UW for two years (too close to home), but she fell in love with the place when we toured the campus on the way home from Purdue (I talked her into doing our own unofficial campus tour)

@tbc1963 Your daughter should apply for the UW-Madison engineering scholarship for incoming students (due February 1) as soon as possible if she hasn’t already. You don’t need to already be admitted to apply.

The other engineering scholarship has an April 1 deadline and is active in mid-February (a diversity - related scholarship for people underrepresented in engineering - including women of any background).

See below

http://www.engr.wisc.edu/current/coe-current-undergraduate-scholarships.html

@Madison85 many thanks. Once again a very helpful comment

I can’t wait to hear. I have a 3.85 unweighted, 34 ACT, and 7 AP’s, so I’m pretty sure I’ll get in. The thing is, I wont be able to afford it without a ton of scholarship and I a) don’t think I’m a great essay writer (I’m gonna be an engineer, more math and science) and b) don’t have very many activities. Oh well, I’m hoping. It’s my first choice, I love Madison, WI. Gotta work on that engineering scholarship essay tomorrow…

@pinky997 Are you a Wisconsin resident?

How much is a “ton of scholarship”?

If you are female or other underrepresented group in engineering, thete is also a diversity scholarship you can apply for next month.

The unfortunate reality for many good students is finances dictate which school they can afford. Good luck.

@Madison85 Are there any scholarship opportunities for students outside of the School of Engineering available yet? In my student center whenever I enter the ‘financial aid’ area it says nothing is available at this time.

@nsalacollege I have applied for a scholarship in the school of letters and sciences. Check out the scholarships page on the my.wisc.edu homepage.

I feel like decisions are going to come out this friday the 22nd

@a1h313 I wouldn’t be surprised. However, it probably wouldn’t be for everyone so I suggest not getting your hopes too high. It is definitely a possibility though.

How will we be notified?

@Madison85 is the engineering scholarship for internationals as well?

@a1h313 hopefully they will!

@astroboy249 From what others have said you receive an email telling you that your decision is ready, and then you can check in your student center for the decision. They will also send out a letter, but you can check online before the letter arrives. Best of luck!

@Rahulbarcafan The my.wisc.edu page for scholarships is super helpful! You just answer some questions, and it will tell you what scholarships you might be eligible for, and how to apply. I suggest you check it out, and sooner rather than later as some have deadlines of February 1.

I have not read that any of the UW scholarships are not for internationals.

Though I have read that the College of Letters & Science scholarships are designated by most of their donors to go only to Wisconsin residents.

Keep in mind that these scholarships are generally non-recurring small amounts ($500-$3000).

@wis75 Yeah what you are saying about the College of Letters & Science is correct. When I filled out my application (I’m OOS) it warned me that less than 5% of OOS get scholarships before asking if I would like to continue. Hopefully if I get accepted I get a decent financial aid package I guess, because Madison is not too cheap.

@CollegeMan91 What is your FAFSA EFC?