UW-Madison Fall 2016 Decisions

@Klossy i dont think so
when were you accepted?
have you received the housing invitation yet?

I was accepted last week and yeah, I have received an email about housing contract offer.

i was accepted yesterday could you please tell me how many days it took, for you to receive the housing contract ?

about 2 days @akshatpradhan

thank you! @Klossy

@blaugrana9 @asdfg123456

Have you been given the major directly ?
Or have you been given General Science ?
If you have been given CS please let me know where can I check whether I got CS or not
Because many ppl are saying that they got accepted but didn’t get the major but a general degree

@KjInternational can confirm got a BS - general in my acceptance

All entering students are accepted to the university as a whole, regardless of intended major/school/college. Most will be in L&S, the default college and where most of your freshmen courses will be. Once you are at UW you need to meet the requirements for being accepted to your major eventually. This includes meeting gpa requirements for that major- usually not a problem. You can usually take whichever courses you want to as well. You can get a BA or BS in most majors- the one you choose may be dependent on which breadth requirements you choose to meet (the courses in the major will be the same).

The main reason to state a major now is for SOAR advisor assigning. You can change your major at any time until you graduate.

I was wondering if you guys think uw-Madison is worth the money. I am an OOS student and am struggling to decide between uiuc and Madison. Madison has a better biology program which is what I am going into. It has a much better campus and it has always been my dream school. But recntly I saw the universities plan to raise OOS tuition 10,000 dollars ove the next few years. I don’t know if the degree is worth the money or if I’m best sticking with uiuc and getting out of college with less debt. Anyone have any insight into how much better Madison is than uiuc?

Finances will be your deciding factor. Not worth adding thousands of dollars in debt. So many students opt for instate schools because of affordability- fact of life. Be thankful you also have a great instate option.

When will they send the financial aid information and awards…?

For those of you that aren’t already aware, I believe that tuition for out of state students is slated to increase by $3,000 for 2016-17, another $2,000 for 2017-18, and then another $2,000 again for 2018-19.

Just thought you all should know.

Omg… Can you get scholarships after your first year? Like if I do really well can they give me a merit scholarship or offer me money?

There are very few departmental scholarships and involve an extensive application with essays and recommendation letters. The amounts are usually in the $500 to $2000 range.

Don’t count on scholarships to improve affordability.

The NPC is very accurate. Don’t expect more money than it shows:

$12k EFC = $3k grant for WI residents

$14k EFC = $6k grant for nonresidents

https://finaid.wisc.edu/award-estimator.php

I got invited to the Chancellor’s and Powers-Knapp Scholarship Program! The award is “Full Tuition”. Does anyone know if that includes Room and Board?

Congratulations! No, it doesn’t include room and board.

http://scholarships.wisc.edu/Scholarships/schlrDetails;jsessionid=KxbBQPMdw1v35QbzN2Gfvsxk06x5LkH4zJ3hy21515dhVTCPJvn!209038631?scholId=5123

Hey @Madison85 , I got offered a really good financial deal at NC State, and only got 5,000 in loans from Wisco. What are the chances of Wisco’s aid office matching or getting close to NC State’s offer through “negotiation”?

@Madison85 my EFC is aprox. 18,000 and NC State offered 16k in grants and 5000 in loans.