UW Madison Fall 2016 Transfer Thread.

@abartolone Your chances are on the low side. With improvement this next semester you may be able to transfer at a later date. Very unlikely you’ll be admitted for this Fall, but I hope you’re at least postponed. Then with hard work with rigorous courses this semester, maybe you’ll get in!

@Natalie278 my course rigor is hard this semester but I’m hoping to update admissions with all of the good grades I will recieve

I also noted that somebody was admitted for fall 2015 with a 3.1 GPA but lower that a 3.0 high school GPA and another person admitted in spring 2016 with a 3.1 GPA and a 3.0 high school GPA both with lots of ECs

@abartolone I’ve seen these as well. I’ve also seen people with 3.7 GPAs in college coursework being denied transfer admission. In reality, the only people who completely understand the admissions process are the counselors themselves. The people that were accepted with a 3.1 may be a chosen few, and its possible they included something in their application that the counselors found worthy of admission. With an increase in competition, it seems the minimum GPA of a 3.0 is no longer valid, which is why I chanced you on the lower side.

You do not claim “course rigor” in college. A good writer could have an easy time of writing intensive courses while another student could have an easy time of mathematical problem solving type courses but find the wring difficult. There are some Honors courses and those who get a B may just as likely get a B in a regular version. In fact, a regular course can be just as rigorous as an Honors one. Taking higher numbered courses just means you already have the background to be eligible for them. Rigor comes from taking more than 16 credits in a semester. Get out of the HS mode.

Applying to transfer let me know what you guys think in terms of chances, I don’t really know what to think.

High School (in-state)
3.15 gpa
27 act
Football, baseball, student council, leadership council, volunteer work, etc

College
Will have 31 college credits after spring semester
3.81 GPA Deans List
Joined an engineering club
Did undergraduate research at UW-Madison over break and was re-hired for the summer
Joining Honors Program this semester

I thought I wrote pretty good essays

3 letters of rec, from high school principle, calc teacher, and professor at UW-Madison who I did research with

Applying for Biological Systems Engineering in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences

Let me know!

@fgishsh4444 everything you said is impressive and well rounded. I would imagine you’ll be admitted without worry, especially if you have a letter coming from a current UW professor.

I am also applying for transfer and wanted to know what my chances were.

I am applying as a business student.

High School (Out of State)
GPA: 3.3
EC: Football, Baseball, Basketball, Volunteer work for my local church

College:

14 Credits fall semester taking 18 credits spring semester

GPA: 3.62
EC: Sales Club, Sports in business club

Thought my essays were fine

2 letters of rec, one from a old high school teacher with UW history, second from a senator of Iowa that was my economics professor.

Thanks let me know!

@badgers9000 I’d say that you have a chance to get in. Will you send your SAT or ACT?

Both of you seem to have proved you can handle college work well. Good luck.

No my Act scores were just average so I’m not sending them.

Hey there!
I’m out of state transfer with 60+ credits. Not including the 17 I’m currently taking.
I applied to college of engineering (chem e) on 1/10, Last transcript was received 1/28
GPA 3.8
Letters of rec from previous college prof
Volunteered at local animal shelters and military organizations ( Fisher House, USO etc)
Joined a couple engineering societies.
My essay focused on why I delayed my college education (familial commitments due to military service). Since I’m an “adult” student I was supplied only one prompt.

In all, I applied to 15 schools which I know seems excessive. But my husbands getting out of the army soon and we were considering many areas and high ranked schools. I kinda got caught up in the application process lol. So far I’m 5 for 5. Waiting on the other 10.

How important is professor rec? I got 2 letter rec for the common app but then I don’t wanna bother my professors to upload it again (since one professor left and will probably not check his school email)…

@Sumner if you’re talking about letters of recommendation you have from previous applications, they have them all on file and will look at them for every time you re-apply.

@Sumner sorry I misunderstood. If you have them for different school applications then yes I see your issue. Your grades in college are obviously the most important, but a letter of recommendation definitely helps as well. If you have fantastic grades I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You can also send a letter of recommendation anytime before they review your application, if you are able to get them.

hey guys! the deadline is 11:59 pm, Feb 1st, right???

@kcb2004 Wow impressive! I think you will get 6 for 6 for this college too :wink:

@A111777 I think so. You should send your application today.

Hey guys I wonder if you let me know the strength of my application.

Second Semester Sophomore at UW-La Crosse. Just transferred here from UW-Oshkosh
Cumulative: 3.05
3 letters of rec
Extra curricular’s on my college resume include being Chief of Marketing of UWO’s Collegiate Entrepreneur Organization. Also, founded my first company through the Org Freshmen year.
This is the 3rd time I’ve applied to UW for transfer admit, seeing that this is the first time my cumulative is finally higher than a 3.00.

Thanks

@Mnoonan42 May I ask your GPA for each semester? Madison looks at the Cumulative GPA of each school.

Guys, how long does it take supporting documents to processed? Mine has been taking FOREVER.