***UW-Madison Fall 2018 Transfer Thread***

Hey everyone, I thought I’d get a thread rolling for fall transfers. I am currently a sophomore enrolled at UW-Whitewater an in-state University about 40-50 minutes away from Madison. I frequently visit and soon enough wanted to enroll here. I’m currently a cell-bio major and will have 62 credits by the end of this school year. My GPA as of now is a 3.52, I have two strong essays one from an English professor and one from a Chemistry professor. My essays are also strong (looked over by professor and other students). I am involved in a ton of extracurriculars and had a ton in high school as well. I hope to hear from more of you!

Hey! (I already posted this but I thought I would post it in the transfer thread too)

I am currently a freshman at UW-Lacrosse and would like to transfer to UW-Madison this coming fall. By the end of this year I will have 31 credits completed and about 3.7-3.9 GPA.

Here are my stats:
(High school)
-3.5 UW, 3.8 W
-27 ACT (I understand it is kind of on the low end)
-AP macro, micro, calc b.c, literature, government, world history, chemistry
-EC’s: two dance teams, varsity dance+captain jr. and sr. year, french club, french honor society, photography, marketing internship (for highschoolers) with a dance and cheer brand my senior year, lots of volunteer hours.
-in college I am involved with campus crusade, french club, as well as an exercise and fitness group and I am trying to collect more volunteer hours as well.
I am also from Wisconsin

Also strong letter of recommendation from my French professor

Hey everyone,
I’m currently an out of state student trying to transfer into UW-Madison for computer science.

College stats:
Major: Computer Science (Switched from mechanical engineering this semester)
GPA: 3.88
EC’s: Vice President of ASME, Secretary of AIAA, RockSat-C team for a semester
Work Experience:
-Mechanical engineering internship at NASA
-Manufacturing engineering internship at Lockheed Martin
-Software Development internship at Lockheed Martin

I’m really nervous because it’s probably super competitive to get in but I’m going to try anyway,
good luck to everyone applying for the fall!

Hello everyone,
I am currently a UWW Sophomore looking to transfer to UW-Madison for the Fall 2018 semester for Electrical Engineering.

College Stats:
-Major: Physics
-GPA: 3.77
-Credits: 50
-EC’s: Treasurer and Social Chair of ΧΣΤ, Student Conduct Board, Member of The National Society of Leadership and Success, and a bunch of volunteering at lots of different places to sum it up.
-Letter of recommendation from a former UW-Madison math professor
GG y’all

Hey everyone!
I am applying for fall 2018 for business, but I’m worried I might not get in. What do you guys think?

College Stats:
-School: University of Utah
-Major: Business
-GPA: 3.63
-Credits: 40 (17 in progress)

• EC’s: Volunteered at National Ability Center teaching skiing to the disabled, UN Club at current University, debate team, Competitive Skier for 13 years, Lacrosse, 100+ hours of volunteering.
    -UW High school GPA: 3.3 (Weighted 3.6)
    -ACT: 27
    I had a 3.4 GPA second semester of my Freshman year because I had mono during that whole semester, but my first semester I had a 3.7 and I got a 3.85 this semester.

You guys think I have a decent shot?

https://wsb.wisc.edu/programs-degrees/undergraduate-bba/admissions/transfer-students/check-eligibility

bump

Hello everyone! I moved from North Carolina last year and have been out of college for a year to try to get in-state tuition.

Stats:
-Major: Anthropology with a certificate in Archaeology.
-GPA: 3.9
-Credits: 60
-EC’s: Phi Theta Kappa honor society, Rotaract club, and archaeological field school.
-Two strong letters of reference, I hope haha.
-Two strong essays, that have been extensively edited.

While at school in North Carolina, I was a full-time student and worked 40-70 hours a week. I’m not sure if I should add this to my application. I plan to finally submit my application tonight.

Does anyone know if they release decisions on a rolling basis for transfer applicants?

From what I can tell, they release them all together the last Friday in March. I’ve read through a couple other threads from previous years.

Never hurts to add your work history there. Of course you worked full time in Wisconsin to gain residency status this past year…

Hey everyone! I am currently a freshman at UWW looking to transfer to Madison. I applied my senior year of high school but was ultimately waitlisted.

College Stats:
GPA: 3.55
Credits: 40 (completed by the end of the year)
EC’s: Nursing home volunteering, dance, barista at coffee shop, leadership program for select first year students
Letter of rec from my advisor

High School:
GPA: UW- 3.6 W: 3.8
ACT: 23
EC: volunteer at hospital (over 150 volunteer hours), dance, dance teacher, gender equality club treasurer, national honor society, barista, LINK crew, hall of fame award for English

Hello everyone, it seems that not many people are giving feedback as of right now, but I’m sure that as we get closer to the decision date we will get more responses. I am currently a sophomore at UWEC.

College Stats:
Major: Political Science emphasis in Legal Studies
GPA: 3.82 (two straight 4.0 semesters)
Credits: 49 completed (14 in progress)
EC’s: 1 year of football (voted a freshman captain and on leadership council), UWEC College Democrats, Secretary of Pre-Law Club, Sacred Heart hospital volunteer, Mentor to a 5th grader.
Two letters of recommendation from professors in the subjects I performed poorly in late in high school.

High School:
GPA: 3.3
ACT: 25
EC’s: There is a lot, we volunteered through football, Key Club (volunteer club), and my church youth group. Big Brothers Big Sisters mentor, Win Brockmeyer Award winner, Susan G. Komen walk volunteer, Night to Shine Adult Prom for the disabled volunteer, etc.

Hi everyone. I am current undergrad at University of Vermont, and international student.

College stat:
Major in Computer Science
GPA 3.7 (last three semester gpa were 3.5 3.67 3.92)
44 credits completed and 17 in progress
Award: Dean’s list in last semester. Second-place in a debate tournament,
EC’s: 1 year of fencing team, one semester in debate team, international students orientation leader.
Internship: Internship about Computer Vision at Chinese Academy of Science. Marketing internship at Lenovo.
Work: Teaching Assistant for TWO computer science classes (python and java). IT technician at one of the colleges at UVM.
Two letters from calculus professor (I got A+ in all calc classes) and from my primary adviser.

High school:
GPA 3.9
Didn’t mention a lot about my high school experiences. College things took most part of activities list.

What do you think?

Hey guys!

Currently a freshman at private school in the midwest, going to Madison would mean in-state tuition for me.

College Stats:
Major - Biology/chemistry
GPA - 3.93
Credits - will have 38 at end of this year (doubt all will have direct transfers, but as long as I get some elective credit)
Awards - Dean’s List
Extracurriculars - pep band, pre-health club, running club
Application - Applied Fall priority, 1 good letter of rec, applying to CALS

High School Stats:
GPA - 3.88
ACT - 27 (slightly inside the middle 50% at madison if I remember correctly)
AP credit - 4 on Bio and 3 on Lit (one of the weak points of app, only 2 AP)
Awards - Honor Roll
Extracurriculars - pep band, science club, cross country, track, volunteered at local hospital,
Work - fast food for a while

Good luck everyone!

jj… doing well in college is in your favor, regardless of the caliber of that private school (most are not in the same league as UW as you likely know). Good luck. UW has a great running club, btw.

I’ll throw my hat into this. I’m coming from a UW college aka guaranteed transfer but still worried about getting in I don’t know why.

Other than that good luck to everyone

College Stats:
-Major: Accounting/Economics - I don’t think ill make it into the business program
-GPA: 3.57
-Credits: 60
-EC’s: ALOT out of state internships/community service/school orientation leader/Big brothers big sisters etc.

Remember that you need to have so many UW-Madison campus credits so if you wait too long you will not be able to transfer. Check- 60 credits may be the limit from other schools and/or 60 may be the number of UW credits required.

You need to decide if keeping your major is more important than getting a UW degree. Figure out what you plan to do after college and choose the option that will enable you to do it. Accounting is in the business school. Economics is in L&S and is not business focused. Discuss plans with your current advisor. There is life outside of UW so be sure of meeting your goals.

Notice that I am leaving you with the work- just as easy for you to look things up.

@wis75 Totally understood I have a plan for not getting into the business program as well as a plan for getting in.

The 60 will be at the end of this semester which will be the end of my Sophomore year - entering Madison next year as a Junior.