UW Madison or U. Michigan

<p>Math/science at Michigan is unmatched. Trust me, I’ve been to their engineering campus - it’s literally amazing, the facilities and resources available. Both their engineering and medical programs have outstanding reputations. Not only is U of M prestigious, but the actual quality of its curricula is profound. I’d recommend Michigan to you, but perhaps because I’m biased. :)</p>

<p>The decision has been made. I will be majoring in mathematics (with actuarial science concentration) at the University of Wisconsin. I am NOT ready for the weather… I have lived in Florida for the last ten years! :(</p>

<p>^I lived in Florida for the past seven years. You will be okay, you’ll acclimate rather fast, I promise! :D</p>

<p>I know a lot of people who say they chose Wisconsin over Michigan. I see what you’re saying about the prestige thing but really I don’t think it’s much better of a school, if at all.</p>

<p>Good for you. You will have great opportunities in the UW math dept as an undergrad- be able to take some grad level classes eventually while still an undergrad.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your support! :D</p>

<p>Hi. Let me ask you guys one more question. I’m planning to be majoring in mathematics or statistics & taking actuarial science courses on the side, which will help me prepare for the exams. But let’s say that I decide not to become an actuary. Maybe a statistician or a math professor. Is UW an excellent school when it comes to math/statistics? How does it compare with other top notch math schools, including Michigan? Thanks again.</p>

<p>UW is on par with UM for both. UW had some of the founding theorists for stats as a field and it has a great tradition in that area.</p>

<p>They’re both good schools for whatever you’re interested in. Pick your school based on other factors besides academics since they are both essentially the same. One might be slightly better than another for some things but the difference is very small and doesn’t really matter. Consider the costs, environment, etc. Consider what seems like a better fit.</p>

<p>Although, didn’t you say UW would be free for you? In that case UW would make way more sense, it’s not worth it to pay thousands of dollars for maybe a slightly, slightly better department of whatever (if it’s even better, I don’t know if it is). The cost-benefit ratio here points overwhelmingly to UW.</p>

<p>UW Stats overview.</p>

<p>[Department</a> Overview](<a href=“http://www.stat.wisc.edu/Department/deptoverview.html]Department”>http://www.stat.wisc.edu/Department/deptoverview.html)</p>

<p>Excellent math- around top 15 for grad program per US News… Good undergrad courses as well.</p>