UW-Madison or UMich??

Hello peeps!! I’m right now a high school senior, and I’m currently choosing between UW-Madison and U of Mich! I plan on majoring in neurobio on a pre-med track, and I don’t know which to choose since both schools are great. I have visited UW-Madison in early April, and I really like the feeling of the city. The buildings are beautiful and people I met there are really nice. But just when I was about to commit to Madison, I got accepted into the Umich honors program. So here comes the question: Should I follow my heart and choose Madison, or should I go to UMich because of the honors program? (I’ve also visited UM before, and I like the food there.) I’d welcome any advice and opinions! (If you’re willing to convince me to go to Madison, please do so!!)

Finances? Where are you in state/out of state, what is your cost? For someone who is strongly committed to med school, minimizing debt and preserving resources for med school is a priority. We are out of state for both, and I personally could not see spending about $10-15k more a year for Michigan over Wisconsin, but that was just me. My kid loved the bustle of small city life in Madison,State Street, the Terrace and the Lake. He had amazing academic, and social, experience. Michigan is great, world class school, but my kid preferred Wisconsin.

We are dealing with the same scenario with my son. He was accepted to quite a few schools and has narrowed it down to UW or UM. He is out state and full pay for both. He visited both campuses and liked both of them. He would prefer UM, in part because I got my PhD from UM and have over the years spoken very favorably of my experience there. However, I think he will be going to UW because I am not sure the extra $10k per year is worth it. To be honest I think he would enjoy UW more.

The UW Honors program is fantastic. Check on the continuity of the campuses- I hear Michigan’s is split into two with dorms perhaps in one area when classes may be in the other and a bus ride needed. UW has campus buses but the campus can be walked to get to classes on one end or the other in the 15 minutes between classes (my 3 x week experience one semester eons ago).

Part of the decision lies in which demographic is preferred- the Michigan or WI/MN (reciprocity between the two means a fair number from MN at UW) one. Both have excellent reputations and will do for medical schools. Remember, premed is an intention, not a major. There will be plenty of people in those science classes who like them for their major without any thoughts of medicine.

Michigan is more well known OOS. But- go for the best feel for YOU, not name known by east coasters. Because of the lake between them there is not as much flow to/from either state, and paying OOS tuition for an equivalent education not worth it.

Easy peasy! They’re both great schools. Choose the one that costs less.

What great choices! Can’t go wrong.