UW Madison Regents OK Budget Request

<p>Link to article:</p>

<p>UW</a> regents OK budget request</p>

<p>I have more chance of winning the Lotto than that request has of getting even a serious look. They need to plan for Zero new money. That might be productive.</p>

<p>A budget request to increase undergrad enrollment by more than 5,000? Does the infrastructure support this? Dorm capacity, even that planned? Along with recruiting faculty and boosting grad enrollment for the TA’s needed? Should they be doing this instead of keeping UW harder to get into? Are the rest of the UW system schools also full and are they boosting their capacities as well? Right now the best students are benefiting from Uw being harder to get into. Quality, not quantity.</p>

<p>Increasing enrollment may not be such a great idea when UW has significant difficulty graduating the students they already have in a timely manner. </p>

<p>Has UW fixed the course registration lock-out problems yet (particularly troublesome for those entering with more than a semester’s worth of credits)? We’re still hearing complaints from home town Badgers.</p>

<p>Yes, they added a new category for students with advanced standing.</p>

<p>Isn’t Illinois still waiting on last year’s money from the state. I think that might be a better use of your attention.</p>

<p>

That’s only for the classes restricted to freshmen. I was asking about the classes that are restricted by college and/or degree program. That’s where a problem still remains. We’re still hearing complaints from home town Badgers about being stalled in their course sequence progressions by college/program course lockouts.</p>

<p>You should have someone in admin look into that, barrons. That could be a major reason why students have such a hard time graduating from UW in a timely manner.</p>

<p>No public college can meet the shifting demands for certain majors/classes all the time. To think otherwise is fatuous. They have hired 50 new faculty in high demand areas as of now–but that can shift almost overnight. Computer Science was oversubscribed just a few years ago. Then CS hiring slowed and the number of CS majors declined markedly. Now no problem getting in classes. If you know of major public that does not have restrictions on some majors tell me–I don’t.</p>

<p>I’m specifically talking about course lock-outs for students who are academically advanced but have not yet been admitted to their college/degree program yet because UW’s procedures in that regard occur much later than most highly rated publics (UC Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan, etc.)</p>

<p>Such students are stalled unnecessarily at UW.</p>

<p>Welcome back, JiffsMom. You can now expect barrons to blame you for Governor Blajogevich, Wis75 to tell you your opinions mean nothing because you weren’t born and raised in Dane County, and Stooge to dismiss you out of hand before retiring to his Kibbutz. Nobody from UW will ever acknowledge that there might be good reasons why the school is ranked lower than they think it should be and that any improvements might be needed. No no. UW is simply a shangri la that we foreigners will never understand.</p>

<p>Yeah… well… that’s why problems persist at UW. Attack any and all criticism, but by no means should they ever fix the actual problems. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>so don’t post.</p>

<p>I have no idea what sort of course lockout you are talking about. Maybe Illinois kids have a problem following instructions and planning ahead. Could you give one actual example?<br>
The only problems UW is not addressing appear to be in you head. While others are reducing faculty UW is hiring more so that more kids can get into majors they want. What does it take to get into engineering or comp sci at Illinois? They restrict enrollment far more and on top of that have a HUGE surcharge for many popular majors.(About $5,000/yr)</p>

<p>Seems some may not undertand the 5900 is for the entire UW system, all 4 and 2 year campuses. Also, it’s not 5900 new freshman, 2200 is increasing retention:</p>

<p>"The plan would pay for supporting more than 5,900 additional undergraduates over the two-year span. The additional students include more than 2,200 that the system would normally have expected to have dropped out between their freshman and sophomore years of college.</p>

<p>Increasing retention is a big part of a plan by the UW System to boost the number of degrees that the state’s public universities issue by 30% over the next 15 years. UW System officials floated the plan in April and have spent part of the summer rallying support."</p>

<p>[Price</a> tag for UW plan to issue more degrees: $22.6 million - JSOnline](<a href=“http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/100784159.html]Price”>http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/100784159.html)</p>

<p>

Sure you do, barrons. AxeBack confirmed the exact problem I’m talking about in this post:

<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/813335-how-hard-graduate-4-yrs-uw.html#post1063557177[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/813335-how-hard-graduate-4-yrs-uw.html#post1063557177&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You were involved in the discussion. How could you have forgotten that, barrons?</p>

<p>

Keep up the ugly attacks, barrons. It gives everyone a very good example of what they can expect from UW. You work with admissions, don’t you? And you’re also on a UW committee or two, no? </p>

<p>Hmmm… perhaps it’s a good idea to forward your CC posts to UW Admin. It shouldn’t be too hard for them to figure out who you are.</p>

<p>Just like the poster quoted above, I came into UW with 28 AP credits and have gotten into every single class I’ve wanted for the last 6 semesters. Larger lectures reserve spots for incoming freshmen–there’s an entire 350-student intro psych lecture devoted to freshman ONLY each year.</p>

<p>I took econ, psych, chem, o-chem, accounting and physics (among others) my freshman/sophomore years. There are typical pre-engineering or pre-business courses, and I got into all these lectures without a hitch. Careful planning will get you into any class at UW that you want. It’s especially easy for students who come with many AP credits. </p>

<p>If there’s one thing that UW does PARTICULARLY well, it’s providing a wide array of course offerings with effective registration methods. You complain about the situation for freshman while clearly ignoring the convenience this provides for juniors/seniors who often need particular courses to graduate. </p>

<p>You don’t speak from experience.</p>

<p>And yet, the fact remains that UW has a lower 4-year graduation rate than expected, lower than its peers, higher ed circles are aware of it and comment on that and UW’s lack of effort to fix the problem, and students are locked out of college and degree program courses that are restricted to admitted students only (that does NOT mean pre-business or pre-engineering courses). </p>

<p>But, yeah… go on pretending that everything’s just fine. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>No one doubts that 4 year graduation rates can be improved at UW. It’s the nonsense you spew that questionable. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>What are you even talking about? Courses in the business school are available to all students at this point–and they have been for over 3 months. Pre-business was just an example. It’s ALL open. </p>

<p>Let me emphasize the keyword here with fancy italics: Do you have any specific courses to mention? :rolleyes:</p>

<p>It’s not all open. Read AxeBack’s post again:

<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/813335-how-hard-graduate-4-yrs-uw.html#post1063557177[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-wisconsin-madison/813335-how-hard-graduate-4-yrs-uw.html#post1063557177&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Their progress through required course sequences is stalled. What about that do you not understand?</p>

<p>AxeBack post is nearly a year old.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It is all open. The freshman lock out problem has been fixed. This was the only issue presented in the thread, besides one student complaining that he had to take Calc III at 7:45 in the morning because the other lectures filled up. Smaller schools wouldn’t even have multiple lectures to choose from–and this student obviously wasn’t aware that you can attend a different Calc III lecture and wait for someone to inevitably drop the course.</p>

<p>Options abound for incoming freshman with many AP credits. There’s very little red tape at UW. You can double major across most colleges. Students at one college can choose nearly any classes from other colleges. College with competitive admissions open up their courses to freshmen a few weeks after initial course registration begins. etc. Compare this to policies at Harvard, where you can’t even concentrate (i.e. major) in ANY two separate fields without extreme barriers. </p>

<p>Every school has its regulatory nuances. UW has MINIMAL regulation. There are many important issues that UW should be addressing–financial aid, attracting top WI students, improving 4 year graduation rates, etc. Stop wasting our time with trivialities. Since you have no specific courses to mention, I can only assume you’re bringing up issues without ANY knowledge at hand.</p>