UW-Madison Rolling Admission?

Hey guys so I’ve seen conflicting information on this so I want to ask it myself. Does UW-Madison have a strict decision date or can you literally apply anytime and get your decision at any time? For example, If I were to apply right now, this second, would I receive a decision notification towards the end of march or just several weeks after applying?
Thanks

https://www.admissions.wisc.edu/apply/freshman/deadlines.php

EA (non-binding) applications completed before Nov 1 will hear by the end of January. Historically, UW released decisions in waves, previously starting sometime in December, but with UW going to the Common App just recently, it is hard to know the extent to which that practice may continue. UW has not done a “first in, first out” rolling process, which is what IU Bloomington tends to do.

Do some waves come out end of October and end of November? I have heard on Fridays? Is any of this accurate?

I don’t think last year any decisions had been released in Oct or even Nov, but a check back on the '17 decision threads could confirm that. The process did change went UW went to the Common App, so it is hard to know if even one year’s practice will be continued or whether there will be tweaks and adjustments for the next couple years.

Thank you. Well with months to wait, not a problem to keep looking, haha!

last year early decisions came out on Dec. 15 as I recall. Yes, no or deferral. They moved up date from previous years that was for students who applied by Nov. 1. There we are a lot of deferrals.

I do know that was the date we found and confirmed with friends. All but three were deferred during ED last year that were known to my daughter from her HS.

@CAmom01 did you ever find out what happened to them in Regular Round?

@JBStillFlying So three accepted in ED/EA. and all others rejected, one waitlisted and then rejected. during the RD. So a deferral this year will just be a matter of time until one is rejected is my feeling… that is from our school/state situation from those that I am aware of. BUT, I should also point out that the ACT was most likely not there for most of those deferred either. GPA might have, but ACT no. Also, that word spreads and many are taking a hard pass on even applying this year, knowing they are out of range by a long shot. WHich is sad, because they may have something unique to offer and exactly what that holisitic approach is supposed to catch.

Shoo. Wow. That says do NOT expect to get accepted RD if you were deferred . . . one person told me last year that her kid was offered J-Frosh so I suppose that’s an option as well.

Did you find that this outcome was different from prior years?

My son’s high school had a couple of weird stories about high stats kids not getting in during the regular round last year. The Naviance data doesn’t look all that different from other years but I suppose it’s possible that, assuming outcomes are self-reported and the counselor hasn’t forced someone to update their info., a few data points are missing.

Same outcome as prior, although I think the ACT range was lower in the past too as previously stated. There were a few outliers of 24-29, but my guess is they offerred unique experiences to the university. I wish the data self populated so people like us had a clearer picture! Did the high stats kids have other things besides the stats to offer to university? That’s always the catch, although it looked like point blank ACT 34 and above were all accepted. Nothing but green.

“offer a unique…”. That does not matter. There are so many others that can offer just as much who also were not accepted and those that were accepted who offer just as much. Remember, for every student favored by someone who gets in there is another who does not, and the converse. There simply is not enough room at UW, or any school, for all who could succeed.

The scattergram on my son’s Naviance page showed a good number of mid-upper 20’s ACT/High GPA admits (relative to total which, as I said before, might be incomplete). His school has a sizable proportion of first-gen/low SES students who are there specifically for a tough college prep experience. Many of these kids are high-achieving scholars, leaders and athletes. Not sure who is getting into UW from this category but it’s likely that the scattergram for this particular school is over-represented by good outcomes and under-represented in the other.

It’d be great if there was 100% representation on the scattergram but guessing a whole lot of seniors don’t bother to update their admission outcomes other than where they are going to school. It’s not a requirement for graduation (that I know of). Maybe other schools are different. Also, do those scattergrams show yearly data or totals? Because if an ACT/GPA “threshold” is shifting upwards then data from even two years ago could be less relevant than you’d otherwise think.

I imagine it depends on the high school, but over the years I have always seen scattergrams to contain data over a period of years, usually at least 3. I have never been able to tease out data from just one year.