UW Madison Spring Term Enrollment Program

Did anyone else from MN just get invited to the new spring term enrollment program? From my understanding of it it means that because I accepted the waitlist I can transfer to Madison for the Spring 2018 semester (if I maintain a 3.2 for the fall semester at another college). Does this mean I won’t be taken off the waitlist then, or is there still I chance I could get in in the fall? Nevertheless I’m ecstatic about the opportunity to attend after being deferred and then waitlisted!

MN student here. Got an email yesterday. In a similar situation as you are. My only question is that will they let us continue after the spring term is over?

I’m in the same boat, is there anyone that has done it before that has any advice or could provide insight into what it’s like?

@mneagles I think this is the first year they’ve ran this program

I’m curious to know how financial aid and dorms and such works

Is this only for MN/out of state students? My D is on the Waitlist and she was offered the Connections program which is a 2 year program at certain WI schools and then a guaranteed transfer into the UW (with a certain GPA). She would prefer a spring 2018 program if it’s offered to WI students.

@rbc1999 In the email I received it said it was only for MN students, sorry.

Thanks @lilybeebadger. Bummer for her, but good for you!

@nickmehul I can’t answer your question about UW’s spring entry program, since it is brand new. But I can tell you I see references to spring entry programs at several other schools on CC. It seems a way for schools who are full in the fall to admit students in the spring once they have had some of their fall students graduate, transfer out, or drop out. And yes, with the other schools I have read about, once you are in, you are in. So there’s no fear of getting kicked out at the end of the spring entry semester unless you do one of the normal things that would get you kicked out no matter what semester you had entered.

Another variation of this that some schools are offering is fall entry, but where you are required to spend your first fall semester abroad. In this way, the school doesn’t have to find dorm/classroom space for you until spring. See, for example, Northeastern U.

Email from Madison:

‘Thank you for contacting the University of Wisconsin-Madison Office of Admissions and Recruitment. The STEP program is for Minnesota residents who attended a high school in Minnesota and who were offered a place on our waitlist. The purpose of our program is to provide an access opportunity for applicants from Minnesota due to our reciprocity agreement with the state. If you have accepted our waitlist offer, you will continue to be considered for fall admissions, should space become available after May 1st. Participation in the STEP program will not negatively affect consideration for general admission from the waitlist. Last, as long as you meet the requirements specified in the email, you will be able to carry out your college education at Madison starting Spring.’

Is the STEP program an extended wait-list for spring (where you could get in or denied) or are you accepted into the school for spring semester?

@CWNWSS it is guaranteed acceptance for the spring semester for some mn students

Thanks for the info. In the email that I received telling me that the wait list was closed it said " We are unable to offer you admission for the fall 2017 term, but we hope you will still consider participating in our Spring Term Enrollment Program…" This is the first that I have heard of this program and I was told to contact UW by May 26th. I’ll check to see what I need to do- I assumed it was an extended wait list…

@mneagles @CWNWSS @nickmehul and @dritzw have you guys heard anything else regarding the program recently? Are you still planning on doing it? I’ve sent in my transcripts and AP scores but haven’t gotten any emails recently.

@lilybeebadger I’m still planning on doing it! I also sent in my transcript and AP scores. I have emailed Erin Pankow a couple times regarding STEP and she responds pretty quickly. I had asked her about how my courses will transfer from the college I’m attending in the fall and she showed me this link: https://www.admissions.wisc.edu/apply/transfer/ted/ .

I also asked her about housing and she said this:
“As a STEP program student, you will apply for housing during the fall. And, UW’s University Housing Office can guaranteed on campus housing for STEP students who enter UW for the spring semester. For these students, there will be a mixture of room types available, including in double, single, and triple rooms. Students will receive their room assignment information prior to UW’s Orientation (SOAR), and students would be allowed to move in prior to their SOAR session in January. And, as of now, it is a possibility that you could either room with another STEP program student, or otherwise, depending on your preferences.”
and “In regards to your second question, there is not a set date at this point that you would be able to apply for on-campus housing. You will be able to apply sometime in the fall, mostly likely sometime in October-November. And, we are looking into options for a spring term STEP Facebook group—so I will be in touch regarding that in the future!” So if you have any questions definitely email her!

And anyone else planning on doing STEP, what classes are you taking? I’m taking Calculus 3, French, and Freshman Composition (Communications A Credit) which adds up to 14 credits. Everyone else should give information they have about the program!

@mneagles I emailed her a bit too just to make sure I’d done everything I’d needed to do. It would be nice to have a Facebook group or a group message of some sort because this program is so new and we are all kind of in a very unique situation! At UW Whitewater I’m taking freshman English honors, earth and life history, mathematics for the elementary teacher, individual and society, and introduction to special education for a total of 15 credits. Erin sent me that link too and I’ve checked to make sure that they all transfer to Madison!

got another email a couple days ago to submit my classes! i hope they make a facebook group for all of us soon

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday and an email about housing! Very excited for January.

Hey all! I am from NY but will be starting at UW Madison this spring. What dorms are you guys ranking as your top choices? I have heard that sellery and witte are the most social/party dorms, so those are my top 2. I’m a little worried about making friends since most others will have been there for a semester already. Also, have you gotten any info about SOAR? Anyway, hope to meet you all soon!

I also ranked Witte and Sellery as my top two, but it said they were pretty full so the chances of getting them are “very slim”. I had smith as my third and had mostly southeast dorms from then on. I haven’t gotten any information on SOAR yet. I’m also pretty nervous about making friends, but from what people have said to me about college is that you usually don’t remain friends with everyone you met first semester, so I’m hoping it will all turn out okay.