Uw-madison & Starbucks Join Forces

<p>I know it's kind of late but I just got wind of this exciting news ...</p>

<p>
[quote]

Releases
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
04/01/07
CONTACT: Bart Kawalloder, (608) 277-3665, <a href="mailto:kawalloder@bascom.wisc.edu">kawalloder@bascom.wisc.edu</a> </p>

<p>UW-MADISON & STARBUCKS JOIN FORCES ON TO PROMOTE CAFFEINE CONSUMPTION AND RESEARCH</p>

<p>MADISON - The University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW-Madison) and Starbucks Coffee Company (Starbucks) have reached a definitive agreement to establish the Wisconsin Center for Caffeine Research (WCCR).</p>

<p>The multidisciplinary center, to be located within the Wisconsin Institute of Discovery, will enable researchers from College of Agricultural and Life Sciences and School of Medicine and Public Health to explore the medical benefits of high-dosage caffeine therapy. </p>

<p>"Starbucks is founded on a mission to promote coffee products as a healthy beverage for our customers," says Michael Stafford, Senior Vice President in Organization and Partner Development for Starbucks (PhD '95). "We are very excited about this unique opportunity. Personally, it is gratifying to return to Madison working with my alma mater."</p>

<p>Under the agreement, Starbucks will become the exclusive supplier of coffee beverage on campus. Starbucks will install 28 outlets across campus buildings, including two Starbucks coffee lounges, at the Union and the new Union South. Six of the outlets will open 7/24. "Our plan is to make Starbuck coffee conveniently available in every corner of the campus around the clock," adds Michael. </p>

<p>In addition, Starbucks agree to withdraw its services from a number of college markets, specifically Ann Arbor and Twin-Cities. "We believe this will significantly enhance our ability to recruit the Starbucks generation to attend UW-Madison," says Buckingham Badger on behalf of the admission office. </p>

<p>Starbucks also agrees to an at-cost pricing for most of its beverages. "Our material cost is about 25 cents per cup," says Michael. "Factoring the labor cost (entirely UW students), we expect to charge not more than those awful-tasting coffee vending machines."</p>

<p>Starbucks expects to hire between 120-150 students during the academic year. "We want to do our part to provide excellent on-campus employment opportunity to the needy students," says Michael. </p>

<p>For more information about this agreement, please contact Bart Kawalloder, (608) APR-FOOL (277-3665).

[/quote]
</p>

<p>April Fools! Great one. The clincher was withdrawing from the two M campuses! You should send this to the other UW CC site- Washington (my skills are lousy at doing it).</p>

<p>Two of my favorite things united at last. ;-)</p>