UW-Madison vs. Twin Cities

<p>Hello everyone. I'm currently deciding between Madison and the Twin Cities. I'm planning on going the pre-med route and I've been accepted into the college of Biological Sciences in the Twin Cities as well as the honors program, and I have yet to hear back from the L & S honors program at Madison. I have visited both campuses several times and I am having a hard time making up my mind. I just want to be sure that I make the right choice and was wondering if anyone had any insight on this topic. I want to be sure to get a quality education that prepares me for med-school, but I also want to have fun and meet tons of people along the way. Thanks for any input!</p>

<p>From my recent post about biochem dept:</p>

<p>
[quote]
Many of the same professors that teach graduate program also teach the undergrad program so one could argue the quality of the biochem program at undergrad is as (rigorous) as at graduate. There are definitely more research opportunities available than NW. There is also no restriction of type/kind of research an undergrad can pursue (which is a big plus). The caveat is finding a professor who is willing to direct and/or take the student into his/her lab. Independent studies are norm for those intend to pre-med (I suppose that provides one the edge in med school application) The honors has some advantages but is not necessary. A vast majority of graduates go to UW, Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) and University of Minnesota.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>wis75, a UW grad and a MD, has made several good posts on the pre-med so browse through the forum. But from my understanding, both schools should prep you well for med schools, although do expect to take the most rigorous work and work very hard. </p>

<p>As for have funs and meet tons of people, let me tell you a "little" secret ... UW is #1 party school. So expect to work hard and play hard! :)</p>

<p>My computer just wiped out my nice long reply, so now you get a better one. The above remarks are good- dallas is right about the med school prep.</p>

<p>I've seen U of M (MN) eons ago and in recent years. Many kids around here go to MN when they're rejected by UW or choose MN because they're intimidated by UW. One chose the business school with an eye towards the big city for summer job prospects. If you're a Wis resident UW may give you a slight edge for the instate medical schools. Others know more about the biological sciences depts' qualifications, from all I've heard UW is a good choice academically for those. Check with the UW Honors program, by phone, about your application. Last year they were behind in decisions since so many, like my son, applied at the last minute (they may do a rolling admissions, but don't at the end). Never feel intimidated by calling college departments, the people tend to be friendly and helpful, easy to rephrase your request, unlike an e-mail, in this situation. Even if you don't get into the Honors program first semester there are many chances to do so later, and you can get into honors classes with permission; I wouldn't use this as the deal breaker.</p>

<p>I'm biased towards the UW campus. No crossing the river (by covered walkway) between classes in the winter. The UW Memorial Union seems to be full all the time on weekends, eons ago MN was empty, it may have changed. I'm not sure Dinkytown compares to State St. Son hasn't spent much time off campus recently, after exploring he eats the Res Halls food (winter weather may be an influence). UW has some great dorm locations, ranking them depends on your personality. The food service is excellent- locations, delivery, no minimum meal plan and good food. Most college kids, especially those with a great campus, don't find the time to visit the city they're technically in, so I wouldn't let the off campus amenities make up my mind. For the number of times you're likely to use the Mpls arts and shopping you can visit it on a weekend (or go to Chicago...).</p>

<p>The two schools have many similarities, consider the academics and go with UW unless something bothers you about Madison. I was lucky there was no reciprocity or I would have gone to a lesser Chemistry dept just to leave the home town area (I fell in love with the campus and never regretted not being able to go away). Some people want to go elsewhere because "everybody" goes to ---, it is very easy to go to UW and have a life completely independent of HS friends. Enjoy the campus you choose, and don't look back.</p>