UW Madison vs. UM Twin Cities vs. Marquette

<p>These are my top three choices. I am looking at being a journalism major. I have visited all three hoping to get a sense of which I will like best and I am even more confused, because I really like them all. I am a Minnesota resident. If I would list them in order right now it would be UM, Marquette, then UW Madison. UM and Marquette are pretty much dead even, and UW Madison right behind them. I have applied to UM and Marquette, and am just about to finish my app for Madison. I would guess I have a very good chance at getting in UMTC and Marquette, but Madison might be iffy. </p>

<p>I liked Marquette's campus the most. It was considerably smaller, and everything was packed together. I just liked the feel of it better than the other two. U of M's campus I liked too, but it seemed a little big, but not huge like some people think. I especially liked the Mall area, and the views. Madison's I didn't like that much. It seemed so spread out, in other words I couldn't really tell if I was on campus or not, if that makes sense. Because of this, it actually felt like Madison was bigger than U of M. Also, the tour wasn't given as well at Madison than the others. We were in a big group, where Marquette you had more of a personalized tour with no other students. I don't want to factor out Madison just because I didn't really like the campus.</p>

<p>It would be really cheap if I attended UW or U of M, while Marquette is a bit spendy. Thats the major turnoff for Marquette. I'm only an hour away from U of M, while Madison is like three hours and Milwaukee is about 5 and a half. </p>

<p>Madison seems like it has the best social scene/school spirit (from what I've heard and read). State Street, athletics, and their school spirit make me want to go here. I don't think U of M is too far off, but it seems like Madison has the clear edge. Marquette I'm not really sure of, but I don't think its very near the other two. Being a big sports fan, it bugs me that Marquette doesn't have football, too. It just seems like I would be missing out by not going to football games where there's 50,000 screaming people packing a stadium. </p>

<p>Both Madison and U of M have pretty good journalism schools based on some rankings I found, and I haven't heard of Marquette having as good of a journalism dept as the others. The rankings don't mean a whole lot to me, but they mean something. Overall, Madison is more recognized, with U of M and Marquette having similar rankings. Also, I'm not a fan of the huge class sizes. Marquette doesn't have that many huge lecture halls, which is nice. </p>

<p>I'm having trouble with picking my favorite one. My dream school would be: Marquette's campus (maybe a little bigger) right where U of M's is; Madison's academic rankings; Madison's school spirit/social life. I wish it could be that easy.</p>

<p>Any opinions?</p>

<p>I am slightly biased towards Minnesota since I live in Minnesota and loved the campus/am familiar with the Twin Cities. I visted Madison (but not Marquette) and it was okay. I’ll try to do a fair comparison on here:</p>

<p>MN WI
the side with the < facing it is better in that category in my OPINION
Social Scene:
Gopher Pride < Badger Pride
Minnesota tradition < Wisconsin tradition
Dinkytown < State Street
more commuters < more living on campus</p>

<p>Dorms:
smaller Minnesota dorms < bigger Wisconsin dorms
Superblock of dorms (tons of kids together) > dual Southeast and Lakeshore dorms</p>

<p>Cost:
Minnesota instate < Wisconsin instate. For having such amazing out state tuition, Minnesota is quite expensive instate. Wisconsin is CHEAPER for a Minnesota resident to attend which is a huge plus. In fact, I think the rec. agreement favors Wisconsin for this very reason that instate cost is more.
Minnesota outstate > Wisconsin outstate</p>

<p>Trend of University:
Minnesota > Wisconsin. I don’t think Wisconsin is “falling.” But Minnesota feels like its “rising” more both in rankings and freshman admiting stats. The fact that Minnesota out of state is so cheap is really bringing up those stats and with that prestige. Minnesota’s rise has been outpacing many other schools rise in stats. Hence, the Minnesota admissions waited LONGER than most years to start reviewing. They don’t know what there next class will be, although they are undoubtably projecting a big jump in statistics.</p>

<p>Campus feel:
Minnesota Union > Wisconsin Union
Mississippi River < Lake Medota (terrace is pretty dang sweet)
Northrop Mall > Bascom Hill
Minnesota architecture < Wisconsin architecture
cohesive community > Downtown Madison
Scholars Walk and sidewalks > Wisconsin sidewalks
Minnesota serenity > Wisconsin serenity
Minnesota safety > Wisconsin safety
closeness of Minnesota buildings > Wisconsin spread out feeling
Minnesota cleanliness > Wisconsin cleanliness</p>

<p>City:
Minneapolis > Madison

• entertainment opportunities in city: Minneapolis
  • job opportunites (interships): Minneapolis
  • opportunites near college campus: Madison
  • city vibe as a whole: Minneapolis
  • city vive revolved around campus: Madison</p>

<p>Difficulty to get in to:
Wisconsin has slightly better stats for entering freshman. But, its tricky. Wisconsin admits to the university then you pick after your first year (so lesser kids dilute the stats). Wisconsin’s situation favors those who don’t know what they want to do (they have at least a year to think about it) or didn’t do as good in high school (if they can pull it off in college, they may be able to get into the Biz school or other tough ones, which is something they may not have been able to do off their high school stats at Minnesota). The con though is another application process for the students to sell themselves to a school.</p>

<p>Minnesota admits to individual colleges which makes at least 3 schools within the U of M much harder to get into then Wisconsin. This favors the kids that do good in high school and know what they want to do (however, if you don’t know what you want to do, its really hard to transfer since most people are already locked in). No second application to a school though which is a plus.</p>

<p>Education:
Minnesota = Wisconsin (yes perhaps a slight advantage to Wisconsin because of their noticably higher US News ranking but many of the rankings for each program have these two neck and neck… especially in business, engineering, and pre-med).</p>

<p>There are my comparisons. To sum it up, you feel a little more apart of something special when at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. With the exception of the few Michigan rejects as I have heard of, everybody loves the tradition and history of the campus. At Minnesota, it seems like there is a lot less pride. The social scene lacks at Minnesota but having football back on campus will help.</p>

<p>Madison is the UW-Madison and UW-Madison is Madison. Minneapolis is the Twins, Vikings, Wild, Timberwolves, art scene, corporations, Mall of America etc. You get the point. The city doesn’t revolve around Minnesota at ALL except for the alums in the city who support the sports and academic. At UW-Madison, you feel important in being an integral part of its culture as a hub of education, art, and athletic pride. At Minnesota, you are just one of the many opportunites people can experience. That’s not to say that Minnesota is inferior or lacks as an academic instituion. It’s just that there are so many things to do in the Twin Cities that have nothing to do with the campus. However, being in Minneapolis offers so many more opportunites for students as far as job internships or entertainment opportunites, the former of which can be a good or bad. It’s great to have professional sports and a bigger art scene etc. but when the school has to compete with these for its OWN students, this can be a problem (in fact, the student at the U of M seem less connected since so many things can pull them apart). Long story short, you feel more like a contributor in Madison as oppose to Minneapolis. This is what turns people off to Minnesota: it’s not a “college town” although I never felt the abstract “college town” feeling in Madison (then again, I visited it in the summer).</p>

<p>The biggest arguement will be the campus. You either get UW-Madison right in the middle of a city (with some rural parts by the Lakeshore dorms) or Minnesota, which is close but serperate from the city. You are closer to a lot more in Madison, but it (buses, people unrelated with the campus, poverty) also is closer to you. I preferred Minnesota due to its feeling of a tight and quiet campus (nicer serenity) where all its buildings are close together. There’s not too many street intersections on this campus. I also think that the U of M campus is cleaner and has more green space. The counterarguement is that this abstract feeling of not being in a city with green space is not that important since you have a lot more RIGHT at your fingertips in the city (you’re right there). I also like Minnesota more since I lean conservatively and Madison felt VERY uncomfortable for a conservative. But who says Madison ever was conservative.</p>

<p>At Wisconsin, there is more of an openness and feeling of doing something random (liberalism!). I wouldn’t be shocked to see a person take their shirt off and swing it over their head as they ran through the campus. At Minnesota, its got a more keep to yourself/professional people in suits feeling, hence the reason some call it an impersonal campus. At Wisconsin, I wouldn’t be suprised to see what appears to be a hippie. At Minnesota, people walk down the street with Starbucks coffee in their hand. You get the point.</p>

<p>Everyone I ever talked to talked up Madison. I guess like anything in life, you can’t expect perfection and gold at the end of the tunnel. That was part of the reason I was turned off (everyone told me how amazing it would be). But, I also liked the feel of the Minnesota campus more. I felt like I fit in more. But, this is different for anyone. I am sure many Wisconsin cheerleaders will respond about what makes their school great. Because, to be honest, there is no perfect answer. It’s what school is right for YOU.</p>

<p>I think your decision is more between U of M and Madison, honestly. I see far less positive about Marquette from you than I see from the other two.</p>

<p>As a journalism major you need to consider this, and you may already know it, so forgive me if I’m repeating it: You aren’t admitted to the journalism major as a freshman at Madison. The earliest you can apply is as a sophomore, and it’s fairly competitive. At Marquette you can be. One of the best writers I’ve met went to Marquette purely for this (even though he would’ve been a shoe-in for the major here). I think U of M you have to apply as well, but I don’t think it’s as competitive as Madison (but I’m not sure about this).</p>

<p>Marquette’s location, however, is god awful. I wouldn’t attend the school based purely for that, and the cost. Yeah, the campus might be nice and whatnot, but that doesn’t make up for what it’s surrounded by. You can always come up here for the football games, just don’t wear your Marquette attire. :stuck_out_tongue: They have basketball, and you can always get in on that!</p>

<p>The thing about U of M is that it actually has an entrance to the campus, whereas Madison does not. Personally, I don’t think it’s that hard to tell you’re on campus in Madison, just because of the landmarks. I can see how it seems “open” though.</p>

<p>You have to take what people say with a grain of salt, because people only look at what they think is important, and sometimes they’re very biased. It’s what *you *like, not others. As an example, location is very important to me. Some people like Marquette’s location. I wouldn’t go there if you paid me too. I think it’ll help if someone who lived in TC and went to Madison or vice versa posted (and Milwaukee?), because by just visiting the school/city, you don’t get enough to compare the two to the degree you would like. Having lived in both would help.</p>

<p>Don’t fret too much. You do still have quite a bit of time before you have to decide which school you want to attend. :)</p>

<p>Also:

</p>

<p>Are you serious?</p>

<p>Some years ago my H was interviewing a fellow for an engineering job. The interviewee bragged about how although he had been accepted at Madison, he spent the extra money to go to Marquette. The decision was not to hire based on the interviewee’s bad judgment.</p>

<p>Yeah this is really between UW and U of M. Marquette is inferior and more expensive IMO.
U of M=UW. Since you like the U of M campus, go there.</p>

<p>To Pathetique: It was my perception. I felt safer on the campus. I haven’t seen the stats on safety. But to be honest, unless there is a huge difference, I am obviously going to perfer the campus I feel safer on.</p>

<p>Marquette is second rate compared to both flagship U’s. I have lived on/near both schools in Madison and Milwaukee. The Marquette campus is so small you finish exploring it quickly and it is surrounded by many very bad areas. UWM (UW-Milwaukee) has a much nicer location for that city. Being assured of your major at a less competitive school may be nice- but what happens when you have a degree? Is the cost worth it? What if you change majors?</p>

<p>Both posters #2 and #3 had good points. Quite a nice comparison in post #2- even if you disagree with which point makes which school better- I won’t spend time arguing/correcting that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Also remember that you spend most of your time on/around campus- the rest of a city is less important. A good campus will have so much to do on it you don’t look beyond its area. UW has a very usable lake and plenty of green spaces, plus is a good place for runners/bicyclists. Your view of the campus/school is like the blind men and the elephant- impressions vary depending on which aspect you come in contact with.</p>

<p>Another consideration is the overall “flavor” of the school. Do you want to go to a conservative, Catholic school? Or a liberal public school? Look at all of the post #2 comparisons- many factors considered in it even if I disagree with some of the “>” opinions. Demographics of students vary- consider religions and percentages from outside the area, a factor not rated by post #2.</p>

<p>Different students choose Marquette over U of M and UW. While some students have definite preferences between UW and U of M there are many who spend a lot of time agonizing over the two, sometimes it does come down to proposed major.</p>

<p>Since this is the UW board I can say go ahead and choose another school- save another spot for someone who prefers UW… Good Luck.</p>

<p>greennblue, your H sacked a candidate based on the fact that they chose MU over UW? How remarkably pompous and short-sighted.</p>

<p>Why on earth would someone have bragged about turning down a school known to be good- candidiate sounds pompous to me, not the firm. Giving positive reasons for choosing a school without any mention of turning down another one would have been the way to go. Candidate’s attitude sounds like a problem in that case.</p>

<p>^ We haven’t much context, have we? What he’s bragged about is not the turning down of UW but of paying more to go to Marquette. He might’ve done this for a number of reasons, such as: preferred a Catholic university, preferred a smaller school, preferred smaller class sizes, preferred more personal advising, preferred Milwaukee. </p>

<p>I’m sorry, but this carte blanche “Wisconsin is better” is really too much. The OP, along with thousands of other potentials for these schools, has an individual set of goals and values which might be very well met by Marquette over U of M or Wisc.</p>

<p>My son and I toured both UW (of which I’m an alum) and Marquette this summer. Guess which “better” school’s admissions people sleepwalked through the presentation? Guess which “better” school can accomodate only 1/3 of the applicants to my kid’s intended program? Guess which “better” school suggested we plan on 4.5-5 years to graduate? Now how do you suppose the “second-rate” school fared in comparison? How did my son feel after the 1 hr one-on-one meeting with the associate dean of the engineering school? Which school is he leaning towards today?</p>

<p>Don’t get me wrong. I love UW and am a proud alum and assumed both my kids would attend from the time they were small. But the simple fact is that is not universally a superior choice for everyone.</p>

<p>Let’s not get sidetracked on this thread- our posts point out how interpretations can vary, that interviewee was perceived negatively and we weren’t there to argue the points. The statement was to illustrate that others also rank UW higher than Marquette. Your son may like it better, let him. We are pointing out that UW has a better reputation. There are Parents threads which address campus visit impressions regarding many schools, I would look beyond one encounter- the admissions office is not the college experience. </p>

<p>Students do need to be aware that they are admitted to UW as a whole and not a specific major as freshmen. Strong candidates will not need to worry about getting into their field of choice. A choice regarding the whole school experience needs to be made. Spending far less money at one of the public unversities will give this student a better education/experience than Marquette.</p>

<p>The fact that this is posted in the UW section of the forum is obviously going to receive a slight bias toward UW-Madison…</p>

<p>You have to decide what you want. Marquette is an urban school. It is smaller. It is Jesuit. Marquette is a very good school and I know the area very well and it is not god awful, but there are areas around the campus that are pretty bad much like if you go to school in Boston or Atlanta or Philadelphia. Milwaukee has a rich theater and restaurant scene as well as being a major league sports town. The school is building…new law school, new engineering building and constantly upgrading the campus. Over 50% of the students are from out of state and the school gives a lot of aid. My oldest daughter is in Madison and she wanted the big campus, division 1 experience with a lot of academic choices . My youngest was admitted to Wisconsin, Boston College, Minnesota but in the end that is not what she wanted. She went to a smaller liberal arts university that may not have the reputation of Wisconsin but is an excellent school with a 9 to1 faculty/student ratio with smaller classes, encouraged undergraduate student research and made it accessible, and had some other things she preferred. You will spend at least 4 critical years of your life at a university. There is more more to it than the rankings or reputation of a school when making a decision. If you were accepted by Wisconsin you probably have a lot of good choices. Be deliberate and visit again and give a lot of thought as to whether you want an urban school or not, and a big, medium or small school.</p>

<p>Matok, the reason I chose to put this post on the UW Madison board is because it seems to get more visitors/more activity than the other two, so I thought it would possibly get more replies. Thanks everyone for the opinions, too.</p>

<p>I’d go to whichever school “feels” better. And I think you need to give Wisconsin some time - it’s a hard campus to understand at first because it is so integrated with the city, but it makes campus living extremely efficient since everything is typically only a few feet away.</p>

<p>But Wisconsin is wayyyyyy ahead in school spirit - not even remotely close. Did you see the last Gopher football game on TV? The Gophers have a brand new 50,000-seat, and it was 1/4 empty!</p>