UW Madison vs. UMN (Carlson)

<p>I was accepted to both schools, UW's college of letter of arts and sciences and UMN's carlson and I was just wondering which school gives you a better shot at landing a better job in like business or finance. I am asking this because overall Madison is ranked like 38 in the country and UMN is like 71 or so. However, Carlson's undergrad b-school's ranking is close to Wisco's undergrad b-school.</p>

<p>Is it a no brainer? Post your thoughts</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Do well in either school and you'll be fine in life. If I were you, but I've never even thought about b-school and I don't even follow business stuff, I would go with Madison because it has a better rep. But don't follow me!</p>

<p>since madison isn't as big as, say, minneapolis or whatever, do most of the madison grads work in like chicago or milwaukee?</p>

<p>go to carlson...more jobs=more opportunities</p>

<p>You know, I'm in the same situation as you. I've been accepted to University of Minnesota Minneapolis/St. Paul (Institute of Technology) and University of Wisconsin (college of engineering). Wisconsin is rated higher for the most part and seems to have a better reputation, but Minnesota probably has more job opportunities. Either way, as one person already said, we'll probably get the same education at either school.</p>

<p>I've decided to go to Minnesota (I haven't accepted my acceptance yet, but...I'm quite sure now that I will) because of the job oppoturnties, but more, because Minneapolis seems like a cooler place with more culture and things that I like in it. Plus, I like the city (even though I'm coming from a small town).</p>

<p>Madison is alright but...meh...Minneapolis appeals to me for some reason, even when not considering the fact that I can see a lot of things involving theater and the arts.</p>

<p>Anyways, I say go whichever place you think you would enjoy more, since even if you go to Madison, You'll probably find some job opportunities.</p>

<p>So, I'll see you in Minnesota :-P</p>

<p>About 22% of UW grads go to Chicago, 13% to Minn, 10% to Madison, 8% to the northeast, 4% to the west coast, 20% to Milw and other cities in Wisconsin, 13% to other midwest cities not mentioned (Indy, St Lou etc, and 5% to the southeast. Basically anywhere you want to go is open.</p>

<p>When I was applying to schools a couple years ago, I was in the same situation. I chose Madison because it was a better overall school, and I wanted to be out of Minnesota. The only thing that Minnesota has on Madison in terms of jobs, is that it is probably easier to get an internship during the school year than it is here because of all the employers, but past that I would say it's about equal, if not more in Madison because we are only 75 miles from Milwaukee and 150 miles from Chicago, both of which are bigger than Minneapolis. I also chose Madison because it is a college town. The school is the livelihood of the city unlike the U of M. Also, the alumni that come from Wisconsin are passionate about this school and love to come back because and hire students because they know the caliber of students that go here. I was recently in a meeting with KPMG in which they were giving a presentation. They showed up with about 10-15 employees, and only 3 talked during the entire time. It's that kind of presence that shows people, and employers, love to come to this town and the difference in size from Minneapolis should not be a burden. Besides, UW-Madison is tied with Harvard in producing the most CEO's at 15</p>

<p>Cthomp99: I would be very interested to here more of your opinions about the location and school itself from the perspective of how much you like it, now in terms of job opportunities.</p>

<p>From what I've heard and read my success will probably not be hindered or improved by going to one school or the other, so, I think I'm basing my final decision on location. I've been around down-town Madison and I guess it reminds me too much of my small town (Madison is much bigger, but, it has the same feeling). So, what is special about madison and are there things there that someone who likes theater, music, and related things?</p>

<p>
[quote]
"The school is the livelihood of the city unlike the U of M."

[/quote]

So, does this mean it really is a "party school/town"? At least what I have heard.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Besides, UW-Madison is tied with Harvard in producing the most CEO's at 15

[/quote]

First time I read that I thought, "producing the most 15 year-old CEO's." Anyways, I don't think that says anything to tell you the truth. You could not go to college at all and come out higher than a CEO (a certain individual comes to mind). If someone is determined enough, they can be successful anywhere..</p>

<p>EDIT: What makes Minneapolis cool to me is the culture. Can Madison rival that?</p>

<p>Ask yourself- where are you going to spend most of your time- on campus, going to classes, studying, hanging out, or in the city away from the campus? Choose the campus, not the city, that appeals to you the most. Consider the whole package, where you want to spend the next four years being a student. Remember, you will not just be taking business classes so consider all aspects of campus life. You do not need to party at Wisconsin, but you do need to study- the phrase, however accurate, is "study hard, party hard". The UW culture is not the business school, it is a much better culture than U of M's.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The UW culture is not the business school, it is a much better culture than U of M's.

[/quote]

You say that, but, why? I've been on the Minnesota campus, I personally think it's amazing. The architecture in the buildings is awesome, the campus is huge, there are tons of people, and it seemed like a very pretty campus. I've also been to wisconsin for state forensics...it didn't have that "big" feeling to it, but the campus seemed nice and what not....though, nothing that made me go wow. Minnesota seemed like it's own little city in the middle of Minneapolis, and that's what I thought was cool.</p>

<p>Now...I have not seen as much of Wisconsin, but culture wise, I can't really get a grasp of it no matter how many times I go to Wisconsin or Minnesota to visit. What is this "culture"? Why would Madison have better or more "culture"? Is it just school spirit? Do you believe Madison would have more interesting people on its campus? Can you say that considering how huge Minnesota is? </p>

<p>One last thing, do you feel either campus would have more or less intelligent, interesting people to meet?</p>

<p>In terms of the actual physical campus, Minnesota seems like a much neater campus with more to do, more places to go, and more interesting quiet places to study when need be (I hear the floor underneath the IT library is supposed to be very quiet....and like a dungeon >_< ).</p>

<p>Sorry to ask all these questions, but, I'd really like to hear from someone from Minnesota or Wisconsin to describe what they think of their school. Please be as biased as you'd like in your responses. Also, is there any place else I could talk with people online from minnesota or wisconsin about the schools?</p>

<p>Madison has better students. More UW students actually live on or near campus while UM has many commuters. If you don't see a campus with a big lakefront being more scenic than on on a river, well. nobody else much agrees with you. Madison has way more positive school spirit. You will meet more UW grads around the US than UM--UW grads are everywhere. More interesting things are usually breaking at the UW. During the radical days it was more active. During the quiet days they invented the Onion for amusement. Uminn is like a college factory. UW is one of a kind.</p>

<p>
[quote]

More UW students actually live on or near campus while UM has many commuters.

[/quote]

But UMN is also a bigger school...chances are there are more people living on campus at UMN (I couldn't find figures to prove this however).</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you don't see a campus with a big lakefront being more scenic than on on a river, well. nobody else much agrees with you.

[/quote]

I suppose, it was the buildings that I thought were cool though, not that i'm saying there aren't neat buildings in madison either.</p>

<p>
[quote]

More interesting things are usually breaking at the UW.

[/quote]

Is that really a good thing?!</p>

<p>
[quote]
During the quiet days they invented the Onion for amusement.

[/quote]

What is "the Onion"?</p>

<p>I'm tempted to try to schedule a last-moment visit to wisconsin, though to tell you the truth, the heavy drinking, partying, and "breaking things" are scaring me away from Madison. Also, from the sounds of it, it seems I'd meet more people from all around the world at Minnesota compared with Madison.</p>

<p>By breaking things I mean new ideas, new movements. Madison has FAR more OOS students and international undergrads. The Onion is one of the most funny and clever publications in the US. Where are you from?? Anyone cool knows in the US knows the Onion.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.theonion.com/content/index%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.theonion.com/content/index&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I feel so silly, I had no idea the Onion was a U of W creation. cbeley, I think you should seriously consider U of Wisconsin, but personally I have to follow the money. U of Minnesota is giving me a chance to go through college with little-no debt while U of W obviously could care less if I go there or not. Still, I'll always think well of U of W.</p>

<p>Obviously I live in MN and I have to agree with barrons and those who prefer UW. There is something undeniable about the spirit of UW, it has much more of a sense of community for a big school. Whereas UM feels much more impersonal, and distant. I think part of this is because UM is a big school within a big city, while UW is a big school within a smaller city. To each their own, but I would choose UW over UM hands down. Also, since you're concerned with jobs out of college this breaks down well: Better academics/better reputation = better recruiting = better jobs.</p>

<p>I personally hate anything north of where I'm from. So when I went to UMN I hated it because it seems so isolated. OP, you claim you want culture, last time I checked the best thing to come out of Minneapolis was Prince. I looked at my US News and it looks like Madison beats UMN at overall ranking and b-school ranking. With the student population, it seems like UW is more competitive than UMN. UMN is great if you want to stay in Minnesota, but if I were choosing a college based on future options, I would choose UW. My history teacher's wife went to UW, and then got a job in Manhattan.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The Onion is one of the most funny and clever publications in the US. Where are you from?? Anyone cool knows in the US knows the Onion.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.theonion.com/content/index%5B/url%5D%5B/quote%5D"&gt;http://www.theonion.com/content/index

[/quote]
</a>
Guess I'm not cool :-( My typcial news reading is usually at slashdot.</p>

<p>
[quote]

UMN is great if you want to stay in Minnesota

[/quote]

Well, I am in Wisconsin, but it's only a three hour drive to Minneapolis from where I am, on the other hand, it's 5 or so hours (maybe more, not sure) to madison. Frankly, this isn't a huge deal to me though.</p>

<p>
[quote]
cbeley, I think you should seriously consider U of Wisconsin, but personally I have to follow the money. U of Minnesota is giving me a chance to go through college with little-no debt while U of W obviously could care less if I go there or not. Still, I'll always think well of U of W.

[/quote]

Well, you all are making me sway my mind. The two advantages I would get from going to Minneapolis are the fact that my God father lives there and it's closer...other than that, everything is identical for the two schools.</p>

<p>
[quote]
There is something undeniable about the spirit of UW, it has much more of a sense of community for a big school. Whereas UM feels much more impersonal, and distant.

[/quote]

Could you explain this a little. Is it like how, with me being in a little town, everyone knows everyone else? I will note that in no way did I expect UMN to be personal, but I did like the fact that it was so big.</p>

<p>I do like the city, but as someone already said, you are mainly on the campus. My two advantages aren't that big. The partying really isn't something I'm particuly fond of, but if I can still find some good friends and have a quiet place to work every once in a while, I'm fine with that.</p>

<p>I think I'm going to schedule a visit with them and check them out in person. That way, if I feel I just hate the area, I can stick with Minnesota, otherwise, if it seems nice (though, I really do like big....) I may just change my mind. Any other comments would be appreciated.</p>

<p>It all comes down to this: Which school will I enjoy more?</p>

<p>EDIT: I haven't signed up for housing yet with Madison....should my decision be based off the fact that I may not get into a living learning community now at Wisconsin? I guess, it's not a huge deal to me if overall the college is impersonal, but if I can make a few good friends.</p>

<p>EDIT2: Guess it doesn't matter..it's all random. :-)</p>

<p>As far as housing goes, it is all equal chance. They randomize it (not based on how early you turn the information in). MN is first come first serve.
It's hard for me to explain in some ways what I mean, but I'll try.
UW has this pride, it is like a community albeit a HUGE community, but it feels more comforting. UW seems to have a more traditional collegiate feel ( I don't necessarily mean lots of parties etc) because it is more scenic and there is a bond with alumni and students (this is that pride thing). UM feels extremely urban to me everywhere, except the mall where the science and math buildings are. Overall, UW attracts a more diverse student body as well (more students from coasts and various states) whereas MN mainly has students from MN and WI. For me, it was about getting a more cultured experience as far as student body and there are PLENTY of things to do in Madison. I know the cities have a lot of nightlife/plays/concerts, but Madison attracts more speakers and venues for the campus. The things that happen at UM as far as concerts etc. seem to be off campus. </p>

<p>Wow this is getting long! I can probably elaborate more if needed.</p>

<p>Quite frankly, I would love to hear as much as you are willing to say. From here, I have decided I will be scheduling a visit to Wisconsin soon and am going to call up admissions councilors from both schools to see if I can talk with multiple students from each school.</p>

<p>However, it appears you've been to both (or have an idea of Minnesota at least), so you are the person I have been looking for.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Overall, UW attracts a more diverse student body as well (more students from coasts and various states) whereas MN mainly has students from MN and WI.

[/quote]

Now, I originally thought it was the other way around with the schools. Diversity is something I like and want.</p>

<p>
[quote]
there are PLENTY of things to do in Madison. I know the cities have a lot of nightlife/plays/concerts, but Madison attracts more speakers and venues for the campus. The things that happen at UM as far as concerts etc. seem to be off campus.

[/quote]

It's not a huge deal to go off campus with as cheap as busing is, but what are the kind of things that happen in madison? Also, are there still some neat theater and arts things (things with the college that are cool would probally be best anyway, as....I will have no money to go see things to begin with...). Does Madison or the campus have any sort of community theater or something that I could do while doing an engineering major?</p>

<p>Other than just outright partying, what else is fun to do in Madison?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for answering my questions and I apologize to the thread creator for hijacking his thread. Once again, any opinions on either schools, good or bad, would be appreciated. </p>

<p>You know, having been accepted to both these schools is creating a frustrating dilemma in my mind, but then my Dad pointed out how many would love to have this same "problem"...so I guess I shouldn't complain :S</p>

<p>It's true, UW Madison has a much wider pool of applicants as far as diversity is concerned. Living in MN (originally from WI however), WI gets a bad rep as a state. Minnesotans like to think they live in the best midwestern state, and that minneapolis has a good cosmopolitan feel to it. I agree with this for the most part (sorry to other midwesterners! :)) But as far as the campuses, I think UW Madison is much more interesting and has stronger students academically on average. </p>

<p>I can't give specifics about the arts aspect at Madison, but I'm sure there is plenty going on. Check their website? Sorry I'm too lazy right now to look and give links (should be doing homework haha...) but I know people who aren't necessarily "big partiers" and they love Madison. It seems like there is a lot of political activism, and that there are speakers coming in anywhere from Leonardo DiCaprio to Howard Dean that come to Madison.
I'm almost positive that you would be able to do something theater related, there are so many clubs on campus that you will be able to find your art niche.</p>