UW Placement Tests

<p>Hey, I was hoping someone could shed some more light on the placement tests that all soon to be freshmen have to take. Does the outcome of these tests really effect anyy of your academics? are the tests something that people should be studying for and taking seriously or something that you can do whenever and the outcome of doing good or bad really has no affect on your academics?
Any and all imput would be appreciated. thanks</p>

<p>Only impacts which level class they recommend you start with. Very few get put into remedial classes.</p>

<p>follow the links from the email UW sent you – there are regional testing locations in the midwest which cost nothing for pencil/paper tests, otherwise you pay a fee to take through the ACT service. Not sure where you are from, but I saw WI, IL, MN dates listed on the link when my son signed up for placement testing.</p>

<p>There are sample tests on the Placement Testing website.</p>

<p>Depending on your Math and English knowledge, you may not have to study hard to get past the Quant and Lit “A” level requirements. Most students test out of those, and you probably want to, so you don’t use up hours on meeting those requirements.</p>

<p>For Foreign Languages, the Placement Tests have increased importance, because the higher your placement, the greater number of retro credits you receive when you take the course recommended, and do well. You could end up with 9 or 12 credit hours based on your placement. </p>

<p>I’m probably not being clear enough hear, so I encourage you to carefully do the research of the website to understand the Foreign Language testing.</p>

<p>If you have 4 HS years’ worth of one foreign language and don’t plan to take any more of it don’t bother with the placement test. Your 4 years of a HS foreign language or 3 of one in HS plus 2 college semesters of a second one will meet any UW school/college graduation requirements for foreign language- BA or BS (unless you plan on a language major, in which case you need to look at the major requirements in the UW catalog). Do take the placement test if you want to take more of the HS language. It probably is more worthwhile to take a different course instead of getting any retroactive credits by doing well in a college semester of the language.</p>

<p>I mostly agree with wis75. If you have no interest in pursuing any more foreign language, it might not be worth it. </p>

<p>“Free” credit hours can be helpful though. If you test well, get put into a higher level 200 or even a 300 level class, you could end up with 9 or 12 retro credits, which helps you jump ahead of the majority of the other freshman for registration 2nd semester & on, due to the number of credit hours you have.</p>

<p>Hypothetically, if you scored 4 or 5 on 4 AP tests, get 9 hours of retro credit for foreign language, assuming you take 15 hours of classes during fall 2012, by Jan. of 2013 (after one semester) you could realistically have as many as 40 hours of credits. I’m not suggesting that lets you shave time off your 4 years, but it will help you with registration and class choices for the rest of undergrad years.</p>

<p>Some students will have enough AP credits to get sophomore status after freshman first semester (although registration occurs before the credits are granted so it will matter getting junior status sooner instead) without bothering with taking more of the same foreign language they took in HS. It can be more rewarding to take a class in something new instead of just going for the credits. Trying a new language or having an entirely different elective not available at the HS level, for example.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input so far. I have taken 4 years of spanish throughout high school and i do not want to continue taking spanish in college. This year i took Chinese one and i would like to continue taking that in college. so far you guys have mostly talked about foreign languages. You still have to take the placement tests for english and math correct? and these tests have to be taken at a testing center like the ACT… i was kind of hoping i could just take them online or something haha</p>

<p>I don’t know that anyone on CC will be able to describe the Placement Tests, and testing options better than the website. Several of the procedures and options were announced within the last month, so it will be difficult to get any historical views on the new options for testing. Traditionally, it was common to take these tests at SOAR. Test scores weren’t always available for SOAR registration, so the changes.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Orientation, Advising, and Registration | University of Wisconsin?Madison](<a href=“http://www.newstudent.wisc.edu/soar/testing/index.php]Student”>http://www.newstudent.wisc.edu/soar/testing/index.php)</p>

<p>Actually that is the case for most of the info given here–it’s all on the website if you look around. Jobs info, dorms, majors, etc etc. But it seems many don’t want to take the time/effort ( I though kids were great at using the net?). But it would make it pretty dull of they all did their own work. The regs try to balance telling folks to go look it up versus giving an answer. My first experience with computers was with punch cards and Fortran and I picked finding info on the net very easily. And I sucked at programming. Took my B and ran.</p>

<p>Clarification on timing of credits for AP scores and foreign language retros:</p>

<p>UW credit for AP scores are granted during your first semester about a month before you receive your registration time for the second semester, so these credits will help you with class standing (i.e. earlier registration time).</p>

<p>Foreign language retro credits are granted after you earn a ‘B’ or higher in a UW foreign language class. If you are local, and take Spanish 226 in summer at UW (right after you graduate from high school), for example, you will receive 16 retro credits in early fall, also in time to affect your class standing for second semester registration. If you take Spanish 226 in fall and earn a ‘B’ or higher, you earn 16 credits in January, so no affect on your class standing in time for Spring semester registration.</p>

<p>Just a few years ago the AP credits weren’t available in time- you had to finish the semester, hence my response.</p>

<p>In late September, my daughter called the Registrar’s office to ask when her AP credits would be listed (Transfer Credit Evaluation section under My Academics in Student Center. She was told they try to update all AP credits about a month before the spring registration times are assigned. She called again to followup and credits appeared shortly thereafter. Maybe the squeaky wheel gets the grease.</p>