UW starts centralized scholarship site

<p>One of the odder things about the UW is that the various schools and departments control much of the scholarship aid--especially merit aid. Now the UW has a central lisitng of all these scholarships and is centralizing the app process. Good move. It would be even better if they could put all these under overall UW control.</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://scholarships.wisc.edu/Scholarships/%5DScholarships@UW-Madison%5B/url"&gt;http://scholarships.wisc.edu/Scholarships/]Scholarships@UW-Madison[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>Looks like the website may not be totally up to date. The scholarship funded by my H’s late aunt is not on the list, that I can find. I doubt they sucked that scholarship $$ dry already, but who knows.</p>

<p>I hope they never exercise complete central control of scholarships. Alumni should be able to help some depts fund specific scholarships- the Chemistry Dept, for example was more likely to get my dollars to use for a chemistry major than if the whole U decides some depts get more than their share of donations and try to allot the money to some other program. Centralization is not always a good thing.</p>

<p>Is there any “typical” scholarship given to National Merit Finalists by UW?</p>

<p>I think the typical amount is around $2000. Just a guess.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Why?</p>

<p>If you are a Agricultural Sciences major, who better to know the deserving students than the Agriculture department? How the heck is some person in the Financial Aid office going to know John from Jim?</p>

<p>Do you want a complex application for scholarship procedure (how else is a central office going to make a decision), or a department deciding between students they know? What do you care if the Ag department is offering scholarships if you are a French major?</p>

<p>Do you want a 20 page combined application for scholarship form (central office)? Or a 1 page form specific to each type of scholarship (department)?</p>

<p>^As a student, I really agree with you OperaDad. Heck, as anything I agree with you. :]</p>

<p>Excellent points OperaDad. Good to have a central site for students to check to see what is out there instead of needing to realize where they should check on their own. But best to allow donors and depts the autonomy in choosing who gets the money.</p>

<p>Because it would help greatly in recruiting top students from the outset. Right now the “system” is very ad hoc with no rules or priorities (need vs academics, etc) other than those of whichever person in the dept is handing out the money. You have no clarity of criteria and great chances for favoritism, etc.</p>