UW to expand Engineering and add tuition

<p>Good idea. </p>

<p>UW-Madison</a> to revisit idea of raising tuition for engineers - TwinCities.com</p>

<p>Only workable because, like business, students can expect to get jobs to pay for the extra cost. Also it is important that the incoming students who are "preengineering" won't incur the cost, by the time the students pay the extra tuition they will know they are going to get the degree. I dislike the basing of tuition based on costs- some students will choose their major based on the costs- hopefully no one will extend this to the other sciences. It is hard for students who have few funds, there are those for whom every dollar counts (I was one of them).</p>

<p>Most other Big Ten schools are charging more in base tuition for instate than UW does for these premium programs. The woe is the students thing is overplayed as the state has good aid for instate kids. I fully expect further tuition increases in all areas unless the state suddenly becomes more generous. With this a portion of the tuition should go into fin aid which currently is illegal. Many state schools use some tuition income to fund aid to students. It's stupid not to. Then the wealthier kids can help out the poorer ones.</p>