UW vs Carleton

I live in Madison and am very familiar with campus, etc, having taken a calc class at UW, eaten in the dorms, etc. Trying to decide between UW and Carleton. Here are my concerns in no particular order:

1. Would like a new adventure. UW is overly familiar, but Carleton is v. small.
  2. Would like to be surrounded by a high concentration of very smart students. I think Carleton wins that one?
  3. Ultimately would like to go into biological research (via getting a PhD, MD, or both).
  4. Not sure which area of biology/life sciences want to focus on and would like a broad exposure. Which school will give that? UW of course has more course options, but to get broad exposure, would that require a lot of intro courses, and would those be miserable (rote memorization, online learning/huge lectures, etc)? Are there a few intro/survey courses that would expose me to many areas (immunology, virology, genetics, cell bio, neuroscience) in a way that I can learn what I want to go into?
  5. I would like to continue to learn ballet and modern (pre-professional level).

What do you think might be best?

UW hands down. Academics much better at this large research U. You will find your peer group in Honors classes- great program. Academics are great at UW- so many top tier rated grad programs. This means opportunities for honors undergrads as well.

I understand wanting to leave home. If at all possible live on campus (Res Halls). I really did not want to go to UW eons ago coming from a Madison suburb but found the campus to be a world apart from the rest of the area. A friend walked from home to classes and missed out on a lot of evening/late night time with us. Vastly different to be a part of campus than to take a class there.

Just because a school is small and private does not mean it will have as many top tier students. UW has the regular above average college student and the top tier students who populate the honors classes and who are as smart as elite school kids. Also- will Carleton have the majority of STEM minded students, or will those interested in sciences just be premed? That is different than being in science for its own sake (I was a chemistry major, then chose medical school). More than one of any intro class to choose from.

Those intro courses will NOT need to be as you describe. Look at the Honors math, chemistry, physics and Biocore sequences for example. Several options for all breadth requirements. See the recent thread about biology majors at UW and my long premed post. Intro level courses at UW are not typically general survey courses but delve into more specific subjects.

Your big question is do you want a small LAC or do you want a top tier research U. I would definitely opt for the opportunities at UW since you want the sciences.

btw- if you go the medical school route you will face tons of memorization there. A pain, but necessary.

I looked briefly at the Carleton site. Ouch. Possible courses so limited there. Despite the thousands off UW students graduating any given semester I doubt there are two with the exact same courses taken. Consider the grad lab s at UW. No going away for a semester to get research opps…

@Parentwithqs – I respectfully disagree with the narrowminded view of reality represented above. It is typical of graduates of large research universities. I recognize this because I am also a product of a globally respected research university. Yet, for non-engineering majors, I favor liberal arts colleges. I explain my reasons below. Note that this is purely based on academics. There are many other criteria you need to consider when choosing between these two types of schools. I argue that those other factors should be your criteria for this decision. LACs are not for everyone. For example, while I am not familiar with UW’s dance program, I will take a wild guess that you will find more opportunities there than at Carleton. I don’t address this below. If both academics and pre-professional dance are equally important, you may want to go with UW, but you should do your research on the two programs.

Going back to science, first ask yourself: Is a bachelor’s degree going to be your terminal degree? If yes, consider going to UW. Chances are that more people will recognize the name. However, you have already stated you want to get a PhD. If undergrad is a stepping stone to greater things, seriously consider Carleton.

If I look at National Science Foundation data on the undergraduate origins of science PhDs, ranked by # of PhDs per one hundred graduates, I see Carleton at #6, Berkeley at #39 (second highest ranked public university), and UW…doesn’t appear in the top 50 at all.
https://wayback.archive-it.org/5902/20160210152803/http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf08311/
Condensed summary of the same: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/top-50-schools-that-produce-science-phds/
(Slightly dated, but not much has changed. Carleton claims on their website that they are now #3 in the NSF rankings, but I haven’t seen the source data.)

It is true that large research universities with strong graduate programs in the sciences have certain advantages over LACs such as broader course offerings in the sciences (especially upper level classes), facilities, resources, and cutting edge research publication. If you are aggressive and self-motivated, you can potentially get a great education. You will also have more clubs & organizations, and depending on the university, you might have more opportunities for the performing arts. However, I ask you to keep in mind that education is about much more than just scientific achievement and research. Many of us value the well-rounded education liberal arts colleges offer, and in this respect, Carleton is stronger than UW. Moreover, even if you look solely at undergraduate science, outcomes are not necessarily better at research universities. Just look at the NSF data above. I realize this is not intuitive.

With respect to the comment that students in honors programs at public universities like UW are smarter than students at Carleton: that’s quite a claim, but based on what, and why does it matter anyway? UC Berkeley students are statistically superior to students at most other public universities. The other UCs aren’t so bad either. We saw what honors program students and Regents Scholars (like my own daughter) are like at 6 UCs, including Berkeley and UCLA, as compared to Carleton students. I can assure you that they are all equally intelligent and capable. Furthermore, as part of the honors program at UW, you will not live in a cocoon. Is the average student at UW more intelligent and intellectual than the average Carleton student? I think not. But you may emotionally relate to one group more than the other, and that’s more important.

Disclaimer: I am biased. My daughter is going to Carleton over UC Berkeley, which by the way has a more global brand recognition, higher research output, more Nobel laureates in their current faculty (and among alumni and past faculty), and - if you value such things - higher ranking than U. Wisconsin. Even if Harvard offers my daughter a spot off their waitlist tomorrow (big if), my daughter told me today that she will stick with Carleton. Why on earth would a STEM kid who wants to go to medical school or a Ph.D. program turn down these premier institutions? For one thing, different people thrive in different environments, and for her, Carleton is a better fit. (Only you can decide what’s best for YOU.) However, we also considered the following:
http://www.thecollegesolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/cech_article2.pdf [frequently referenced paper]
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chadorzel/2015/04/10/why-small-colleges-are-great-for-science-students/#75bf1de7b9a3

But don’t just take my word for it. I urge you to read other opinions on science education at liberal arts colleges in the following thread I started not too long ago. I play devil’s advocate at times, which confuses people but stimulates lively discussion.
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/science-majors/1950938-are-top-lacs-doing-enough-to-attract-the-best-brightest-female-math-and-physical-science-students-p1.html

My advice: do your homework before jumping to conclusions about the supposed superiority of research universities over LACs. UW and Carleton each has its pros and cons. The former is not the best choice for everyone, so understand your options before deciding. You’ll figure out which environment is better for you. Good luck!

One student can only take so many courses anyway as an undergrad. I tend to agree with @BobShaw on this topic (having attended a large well-respected research university myself, but sent my kids to LACs). One thing I’d go into in more detail are the dance opportunities if that is important to you, though. All that said, given the date, the OP has likely already decided. :slight_smile:

Today’s above posters should note that Parentwithqs’ daughter did choose to attend Carleton and not UW-Madison and, to my calculation, with about 18 hours to spare before the 5/1 notice deadline. She apparently wants to live the LAC experience before spending additional years in a large-university setting pursuing a Ph.D. in Biology. I’m glad to welcome Parentwithqs’ daughter as a student colleague of my Carleton freshman daughter.

Didn’t notice the timestamp and forgot about the deadline! I will repeat what @MinnesotaDadof3 said: welcome, @Parentwithqs, to Carleton class of 2021! My incoming daughter may run into you during first-year orientation week. If you haven’t booked your parents’ hotel room, better act quickly. Archer Inn and Northfield Inn may be full, and the Americinn is filling up fast.

Different strokes for different folks.

Gifted kids do UW- perfect test scores, young, NMF… Need to be independent and other similar good characteristics. Proud to have a top notch flagship.