UW vs UM for engineering (not really the programs, but the campus feel, etc.)?

<p>Can anyone comment on UW vs. UM for engineering, specifically EE? I know that their rankings are fairly insignificant (mich is aroudn 7, UW is around 15...who cares?), but I was thinking that maybe I would like UW better. I'm a huge hoops fan, and although UM has a SLIGHT advantage in Football, UW thrashes them at Basketball. But besides sports, what else is there in Madison that trumps Ann Arbor? Also, I was wondering whether UW just had once in a while good seasons in both this year, or if they are always perennial powers in both bball and football (I'm a UNC fan, so I dont follow the big timers in the big ten that often...that'll change if I go here though!)</p>

<p>a much better easy going but dedicated student body, from what I've heard.</p>

<p>For one the UW engineering programs are on the main campus--not miles away on a separate campus away from everything. The UW campus overall is much better.</p>

<p>BTW, rankings in the top 20 are NOT insignificant. And athletics have been doing well in recent years. School spirit has always been there, even in the lean years. </p>

<p>Both states have similar climates, people, culture, great places to vacation. Both will have a majority of instate students. The big difference is location and student body attitude. I have read CC comments about the poor attitude of Michigan university personnel towards interested people, contrasted with my and other people's helpful responses from UW (do read past posts). Arrogance at Michigan; self centered, but friendly in Madison.</p>

<p>Ann Arbor can't compare to Madison. From my online campus tours I don't like the separations of campus parts in Ann Arbor. Taking a bus from your dorm to your class because of distance, not laziness? No interesting geographic features. The near campus restaurant/shopping district doesn't sound as appealing. You can't beat the UW Memorial Union's vibrant lakeshore location or the Lakeshore path, all an easy walk from the liveliness of State St. Or sledding the campus hills in winter. The city Southeast dorms and the park-like Lakeshore dorms are not that far from each other, two different atmospheres to choose from. The dorm food is excellent, with no minimum food plans and anyone can eat anywhere. Good luck deciding.</p>

<p>Madison > Ann Arbor for numerous reasons, many mentioned above. As for the sports, I don't think it's fair to say Michigan > Wisconsin in football, especially when over the past few years Wisconsin has been consistently at the top of the Big Ten, as Michigan was attending the Alamo Bowl. I think Michigan is a much more historic team, with great success over the years, but Alvarez created something special in Madison and it's no longer the big 2 little 9. Expect Wisconsin to be a top 10 team this year with a possible shot at the Rose Bowl.</p>

<p>But, if you're making your choice on which team WINS, then you won't enjoy college. Like Michigan, Wisconsin is great in numerous sports. But what seperates Wisconsin? In the three major sports (basketball, football, hockey) we have some of the best fans in the country with possibly the best student sections, second only to Duke in basketball, but not to be beaten in hockey, and quite intense for football. It's a part of the "scene" if you will, which is important for many perspective students. That said, I suspect Madison will never let you down if the school spirit aspect of college is important to you. Hasn't for me</p>