UW Wait-list story update

<p>A little hard to decipher the numbers but it appears more like 300 will come in from the wait-list.</p>

<p>UW-Madison</a> admits wait-listed students (May 22, 2008)</p>

<p>yay my friend is one of them!!</p>

<p>Why the sudden increase in WL students? Are admissions really started to hold off on well qualified applicants to try to obtain the best possible class, then let them in after the best applicants have accepted?</p>

<p>you're welcome, lol (I enrolled elsewhere). Boomer you could be write about that but, according to the results threads, it doesn't seem like the waitlisters were any more qualified than the accepted.</p>

<p>MadisonSon was admitted this morning from the waitlist. He had accepted the Connections Program but wasn't too thrilled because he really wanted Madison from the start. Now he has his wish!</p>

<p>boomer--yes, that's what good schools do. Also as the article noted predicting yield has gotten much harder as kids apply to 10-20 school instead of the old 3-5. And they may be on more than one wait-list so it's very hard to tell who will actually enroll. Some of the early UW admits might be on the wait-list at an IVY or similar school. If they get the call from Cornell they might drop UW creating an open spot at UW. In the past the eltite schools never took people from the waitlist--now harvard is taking 200. That's 200kids dropping their other school.</p>

<p>Crazy admissions game, this year especially. Thanks for the UW article- it explains clearly why they did things.</p>

<p>I can't help but feel a little twinge of triumph after my D was deferred and then rejected when she was clearly qualified numbers-wise - 3.84 gpa and 28 ACT score. We are from Socal so that may have had something to do with it - but think about it, 800 students off the waiting list is practically an entire dorm! She chose not to waitlist and to go to BU instead and it was definitely the right choice for her.</p>

<p>They only need to fill about 220 spots. The 800 number assumed many they offer on the waitlist don't accept it now. The initial stores had it wrong sortof as they made it sound like they needed 800 students. No, only 220 or so.</p>

<p>I'm definitely glad some more qualified students got in that really wanted to go there. </p>

<p>However, I'm still a little bit confused as one of the people who got in from my school does not try academically in school, is not in advanced classes, had low test scores, and really only has athletics going for them. I think there would have had to be more rounded applicants out there?</p>