VA Tech Class of 2021 -- Engineering Admissions Decisions

I really do too.

How will we found out about the February 20th admissions decision? Will it be an e-mail, or logging in to the VA Tech account, or both (i.e., an e-mail notice saying that the decision is available on the VA Tech account)?

@MSMead Thanks – hoping both of our S’s will be accepted.

It seems to be a higher bar to get into engineering school to begin with, but it also seems that it’s becoming more competitive with each passing year. Maybe because STEM careers are finally getting the recognition they deserve. Virginia Tech also seems to attract a lot of out-of-state applications for the engineering school. Read somewhere recently that 46% of VT engineering students are OOS. Yikes, hoping there still plenty of space for the Virginia residents. :-<

I hope he is accepted. At the start of this process we had no idea that engineering is so popular. My S has wanted to be an engineer since he was 4 (indicated in his essay). My father was a self taught engineer/entrepreneur who started a design parts manufacturing company which my brother now owns. He has several patents and my S was very influenced by him. My S’s desire is to eventually be able to have design patents of his own. Seeing the number of qualified applicants has been discouraging. We found out that Mechanical is a bit of a catch all for many applicants.
But, he has 3 acceptances so far. Not the highest ranked schools but he’ll get the education he needs either way.

Here’s the VA Tech publication (link):

http://www.enge.vt.edu/_files/undergraduate/orientation/day1.pdf

Last year’s accepted class had a 4.15 GPA and 1298 (old) SAT (=1360 SAT (new)).

@MSMead Wow, that’s great – what a legacy. Can I ask which schools your S is looking at?

S is looking at Mechanical Engineering (possibly Aerospace) and wants to go south for college. He’s been accepted to Texas A&M, University of Florida, University of Central Florida, GMU, and NC State. However, NC State didn’t take him into the engineering school; instead, they put him in university studies (which he declined). UCF has a real attractive offer (nice scholarship, Honors College). A&M isn’t offering any funds, and at $51K/year, it’s simply beyond our reach. Still waiting to hear whether U of F will offer any scholarship money. GMU gave him a small scholarship and the price is right, but I’m guessing S needs to go further than 20 minutes from home. There’s a world out there.

Sure. His specifications are no more than 4 hours from home. Well thought of engineering program, good food options and good personal and degree specific activities. Dorms that don’t look like a prison cell.

Case Western
RIT
Virginia Tech
WVU - my brother,sister, nephew and sister in law went there ( Offered $19500 a year scholarship, honors)
Grove City College - great program only 90 kids in mechanical $26000 cost of attendance (possible $6000/yr merit)
Geneva College - small school, solid small engineering program ($15,000 a year scholarship)
Penn State - accepted but deferred to the Behrend campus. Honors, no money yet

Great Power Point BTW.

Thanks @MSMead. Your S has good options. Let’s hope we hear from VT tomorrow (and not 3/17).

I hear VT has tremendous food options and the full range of activities. I think our VT tour guide said there was even a “Lumberjack Pancake Club” on campus to emphasize the number and creativity of organizations. I’m guessing the focus was more on pancakes and not so much on lumberjacks.

Yes, I thought the VT engineering powerpoint was pretty good. I guess it was part of the engineering school orientation last fall.

I know that 70%-75% of admissions decisions will be released on 02/20. The remaining will be released on 03/17. Anyone know what time on the 20th though? We have not received an email and nothing has changed on the banner app status page.

Some have mentioned poss. 4-5 pm

That’s what last year’s thread showed.

This is the first time I’ve been on this board for any length of time, but I never thought I’d be this ridiculously nervous. I really hope my D gets into the engineering program. That being said, money is a huge issue. She’s been accepted to Purdue, who hasn’t offered any indication that there will be any financial asst. Same with UVA- although I’ve heard that that takes longer. Next weekend she’s going to a University Scholars weekend at GMU with the possibility of full tuition, but, in the end, VT is where she wants to go.

@Darling3 We’re likewise hoping that S gets into the engineering program. Finances likewise loom large. S got into engineering at Texas A&M ($51K/yr.) and University of Florida ($42K/yr.), but looks like no financial aid will be forthcoming. So it’s likely to between Va. Tech (if he gets in) and UCF (which gave S a great scholarship offer). S likes GMU and that would still come within our finances (we think), but not sure he’d be excited to go all of 20 minutes across town to college.

S’s best friend got into Purdue and he hopes to go there. Great school. S wants to go somewhere warm and sunny for school, so he focused on a “Southern Sunshine Strategy.” B-)

All the best to you! Hopefully, we all find out today and are not strung out to March 17th.

Thanks VABogart. We literally live within walking distance of GMU-so you can imagine the enthusiasm 8-| over being so close to her large family for the next four years.

5:00pm is what I’m hearing, so I’m checking around 5:30 in case there is an overload! where did you get that stat about 75% being released today? best of luck to you! :slight_smile:

The info on the 70-75% being released today came from someone who works at Tech . . . . not in Admissions, but in Student Affairs or a similarly-related area.

Where exactly do we go to view our decision? guest login information system?

Everyone ready?