Va Tech - Computational Modeling & Data Analytics and BIT Double major, or CS Minor

My son applied to Tech for Engineering with the goal of going Computer Science. Shocking to us, with an ACT score of 35, GPA of 4.3 including BC Calc, AP CS and many others, he didn’t get Engineering…he was admitted under a second choice of BIT (Business Information Technology). He is trying to evaluate whether he should do a DOUBLE MAJOR at Tech in BIT and CMDA, or go to UVA Engineering for CS where he has also been accepted. I think he has about 26 credits he can bring forward to college. He is also thinking of a BIT Major with a CS Minor at Tech. Any guidance on the market demand and comparative complexity between the majors? How close does a BIT and CMDA double major get to a CS major? Is it better? Thank you.

All the BIT grads I know are doing very well for themselves. I mean they are all good majors, just do whatever you think is best. You aren’t exactly comparing underwater basket weaving vs nuclear engineering.

@Dad0903 Sorry your son did not get directly admitted to Virginia Tech engineering. BIT grads seem to do very well though. If you haven’t done so already, you might look at Virginia Tech post grad surveys. BIT grads are going to companies like Accenture, Deloitte, IBM, Ernst and Young, etc. UVA Computer Science grads also do well and that is great that your son was admitted directly to engineering there (but has to apply as a first year to move into Computer Science, unless that has recently changed.) Your son has great options. Good luck with the decision!

hi @Dad0903 Once you have concluded on your admission, can you please share your college admission journey and guidance for 2019 parents/students of TJ in this link.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/high-school-life/2071524-tj-class-of-2019-parents-college-admissions.html