VA Tech Early Decision Notification

<p>IMPORTANT REMINDER:</p>

<p>When you’re looking at people that got in and saying “Wait, why was I deffered? I have better stats!” think about whether you applied to the same major. CAUS is very hard to get in to, and engineering is pretty hard as well.</p>

<p>I sent a PM with her stats. Best of luck, she is ecstatic as are we.</p>

<p>Anyone know if Virginia Tech has some bizarre early decision policy? I know in-state kids with ~1450 SATs (math and critical reading only) and 4.0 (weighted) GPAs who got deffered. They didn’t apply to the engineering school, and these stats are well above the schools averages. It seems baffling to me that they would be rejected early decision; certainly they’d have to get in regular decision, right? What is going on that seems to make the early decision pool harder to get accepted from then the regular decision pool?</p>

<p>Got into college of Business!! Congrats to others that got accepted! Hang in there those that got deferred!</p>

<p>@ExceptMe - Maybe they applied to another competitive major (Architecture?)…or maybe their course load isn’t the most competitive/rigorous. The weighting of their GPA might make it so a 4.0+ is easily achievable; I’ve seen schools that add +1.0-1.5-2.0 to classes depending on what class they are. Their class rank could have also come into play. Or maybe they had a lower junior year GPA, so Tech wants to see what the first semester grades will be like. And of course, maybe they aren’t totally honest about their stats to you, there’s a chance for that too (unless these are your stats). I’d suggest calling admissions and seeing if they could tell exactly why they were deferred and so that they know what to improve on when the mid-year report gets sent in. I’d love to hear what admissions says, I’m rather curious.</p>

<p>I GOT IN TO GENERAL ENGINEERING! Congratz to everyone who did and everyone who got deferred I’m sure you’ll get in RD!!!</p>

<p>@fianciallylost</p>

<p>They applied to the business school. They’re not my stats, but I’m fairly confident they aren’t lying. School’s GPA is out of 5, it’s only +.5 for AP/Honors classes. Course load of the deferred students is quite rigorous; some have 4+ APs including classes like BC Calc. I just know lots of very competitive applicants getting rejected and it’s not making sense. I also know someone who applied ED to Engineering with a 4.6 weighted GPA/2000+ SAT score who got deferred. Never thought VT was this competitive.</p>

<p>Hey guys i got accepted ED into the school of business into a business undecided major. I’m from NOVA, have a 4.26 GPA, 1250/1600 & 1850/2400 SAT, 26-27ACT (only look at math and English).<br>
I have a brother who goes there (probably helped), got 2 letters of recommendation, and have below average amounts of EC activities (1 sport & 3-4 clubs) other than a summer of community service.<br>
Also though I have taken nearly every AP class i could fit into my schedule (7 in my high school career) and have passed all of those tests so far. I wrote 2 essays on my application that were not my finest work considering i threw them together the day of submitting it. Finally i’m ranked 20/300 in my class. Hopefully this helps with those curious about admittance stats. Congrats to all those accepted and GO HOKIES</p>

<p>did anyone get their letter of acceptance yet?</p>

<p>@RichmondSenior
I got the official letter the next day on Saturday, and I live in Roanoke. It doesn’t really say much besides a rough schedule up until next fall semester and a sweet bumper sticker</p>

<p>i got my acceptance letter today. on monday. and i live in Seattle, WA</p>

<p>yeah I got mine today too</p>

<p>Sorry to everyone that got deferred, but there’s still hope! All of these people who didn’t get in with 4.5’s and such are maybe lacking a well-rounded application. People get caught up in that GPA and forget extra-curriculars and volunteer work. </p>

<p>I got into the interior design program (average HS GPA for that program is a 4.0) with a 4.1 and 1230 SATS. Also ranked 11/450. I also had plenty of volunteer work and other things though. Hope this helps?</p>

<p>hey guys come join my facebook group, “official virginia tech class of 2015”</p>

<h2>

</h2>

<p>I think it has to do with OOS money and higher tuition rates they pay. I think VT is trying to maximize tuition revenue. For example, my daughter who is a current VT sophomore, had stats well below the mid 50% range(3.5 w GPA & 1100 SAT) and no EC’s and still got accepted. I think that VT loves those full-pay OOS kids. It’s all about the money, is my theory. </p>

<p>On the other hand, she got rejected at UNCW because the tuition was so cheap there that other OOS parents were looking for a bargain and competition was tough. I know that I thought it was a bargain. So much so, that it was actually the same price for us OOS for her to attend UNCW as it was in-state for us for her to attend Penn State main campus-(University Park)!</p>

<p>So, for the ED applicants, perhaps VT is waiting to see what revenue they can get from the regular decision applicants?</p>

<p>@NervousParent - Virginia Tech admission is need blind. The admissions counselors and committees essentially will know NOTHING about an applicant’s financial situation. There is nowhere on the application that asks for specific financial information…nothing that will even indicate whether or not the applicant will fill out the FAFSA.</p>

<p>So in short, students who deferred ED were deferred probably due to their stats, or because admissions wants to see how they will do during the first semester of their senior year, or because they want to see how the applicant will rank next to the RD applicants.</p>

<p>Now about your daughter…she got very lucky! I know someone who applied with around a 3.2-3.3 UW and better SATs in state and got rejected. What major did she apply to? That seems to be a VERY rare case for an OOS student.</p>

<p>@financiallylost…But I think that is really beside the point. The admissions office is not dumb, they know that OOS kids pay more. In some way. Whether it be in outside loans, grants or just full-pay parents writing the check. VT will get more money. From someone. Perhaps they have a state mandate that says that they have to accept a certain amount of in-state kids, like North Carolina does. So VT tries to bump up as close as they can to this mandate? Salaries like Frank Beamer’s are expensive! lol. </p>

<p>And the last thing that the admissions office wants is to have the VT financial people come to them and say…“We can’t afford your current freshman class”. They will hedge their bets. How else can you explain the in-state posters on these threads with Ivy league type stats not getting immediately accepted?</p>

<p>This year’s incoming architecture class is 50/50 IS/OOS. One of the in-state kids who was declined at VT was admitted to UVa, so his stats would have ordinarily been competitive. He wound up at PSU (where of course PSU appreciates the OOS tuition!)</p>

<p>Yes, I think that VT is deliberately admitting more OOS students to boost tuition revenues.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Actually no, it is quite common for someone with her stats in her high school (suburbs of Philly) to get accepted at VT. She went in as undecided major, BTW. For example, last year’s senior class in her HS, 24 kids applied to VT and ALL 24 got accepted! The year before that, 23 applied and 17 got accepted, In 2008, 26 applied and 25 got accepted. We are not a magnet HS, although we do usually rank in the top 5 statewide. Unionville High School. </p>

<p>According to the naviance graph, the average GPA is 3.57 weighted from her HS of the kids getting accepted to VT.</p>

<p>What you’ve got to remember about the middle 50% is that, by definition, a full quarter of the student body is below it. A 3.5 isn’t bad and if she’s got a hook (URM, female going into a male-dominated major, etc.) and all that then she had a pretty strong chance. Apparently strong enough of one to get in!</p>