VA Tech Mechanical Engineering

-Internatinal student, I was admitted to va tech mechanical engineering
What is va tech mech. engineering like, especially compared to purdue, uminn TC, UIUC, UC davis, UC sand diego and ASU/SUNY buffalo?

-Thank you everybody

All of the schools you mentioned are highly respected. Have you visited any of them? The campuses will have a different feel. Do you prefer a city location or a rural location–because you have a big mix–with some being in between. You also have HUGE swings in weather. You should definitely take advantage of each school’s website and take the virtual tours. You tube also has a lot of unofficial school videos. You can also go onto google earth to see the surrounding area. Where do you want to work when you graduate and what is your ultimate goal–graduate school or a job? Look at the school’s career placement as well. For engineering , there is a lot of salary and employer information. If rankings are really important to you–subscribe to the US News and World Report rankings.

I went to Tech years ago and have one there now with another applying. If you want a college town vibe, Tech is great. However, there are no large cities close by, so student life centers around the college crowd. (Our oldest thought is was too remote.) It all depends on what’s important to you. Good Luck with your decision.

@krooth12 Really thank you bro
My main goals are below-

1. I will probably return to India after graduation(VA tech for undergrad now). So is VA Tech good enough and respected highly enough to get me an elite job on return(Especially compared to others on my list)?
    2.Well a big town isn’t that(I mean that) important if college town itself is go vibrant and good enough to contain my life!! So, social scene as u told and as I found appears to be great! Also weather is not that important as of now.
    And lastly,
    Ranking of VA Tech appears to be great(in mechanical especially(14th in US)). But still what do rankings matter for? Because 14th is like near top?

Thanks again a lot!!!

I don’t know that anyone who is not someone hiring for “an elite job” in India can answer your first question. You will get an outstanding education in mechanical engineering at Virginia Tech; whether that is recognized by your potential employers, who can say?

Hey! Even i was wondering the same thing. I, like you, am from india and have applied to tech for Mechanical engineering, I hear it’s a great program but competitive!