Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

We will all be getting the vaccine whenever it becomes available to us. However, I will make sure I have my D21’s nebulizer and epipen ready when we take her for her vaccine. She has multiple allergies and even though we know there will be precautions taken to observe everyone vaccinated, we are going extra prepared.

1 Like

My husband’s 78 year old stepmom has no interest in getting the vaccine. She’s widowed and lives alone. She’s respectful of our position (we’ve been bunkering down at home, being very careful about masking and distancing, etc) . But back in the mid-summer she decided that she had “had enough.” She went back to her normal lifestyle, going out to dinner with friends, inviting extended family over, etc. She would qualify to get vaccinated now but seems to have no interest, and says that “the recovery rate is high” so she’s not that worried about getting sick. She also sent me the Plandemic video back when that thing was circulating.

And no debate. Make your point and move on.

You should never be angry at someone who got sick from COVID. Its a slippery slope, who gave it to him? Should you accuse them? Not a path to go down.

3 Likes

My Dad who is super healthy won’t be getting it. He had a flu shot years ago and thinks he got sick from it. Never had another.
We have lots of family members who won’t be getting it (one nephew and his family is anti-vax). Lots of reasons for their choices. I respect their opinions even if I don’t share them.
We’ll check it out carefully. Have lots of allergies and EpiPens in the family and one kid whose allergy is unknown ( has been tested). For normal people, it’s pretty low risk 1 in a million for those who have reactions to things for no reason, the assessment is very very different. So far, it looks pretty safe. We’ll know more once 50 million have been vaccinated and its our turn. I’m anxious about every vaccine.

I think that’s a good point.

I read in an advice column. A woman had her mom over for thanksgiving. The mom gave the family Covid. The daughter asked the advice columnist was she right to be mad at her mother for giving them Covid.

The answer was no! Be mad at yourself for having your mom over! You were warned not to gather and you did.

Bedsides Covid is everywhere. We can be so careful but unless we live in a bubble, there is always a chance to get it. Unfortunately that is the reality now.

6 Likes

My daughter had a friend drop off an item. The friend had recently recovered from Covid. She wasn’t that ill and wondered why people are making a big deal over Covid.

My daughter’s boyfriend who is a physician dealing with Covid every day, looked incredulously at my daughter and said “do people really believe this”. He was gobsmacked!

5 Likes

Because he refuses to wear a mask. So yes, I am angry with him. That is not the same as wishing him ill, or not caring about his health, or not caring about him. His actions are selfish and he could have made others sick.

9 Likes

I know someone in their 20s who has COVID-19 after-effects that impact activities that they do.

This is a common point of confusion. It is not known how effective the various vaccines are at preventing asymptomatic spread, since that has not been checked in the vaccine trials. Some experts are saying that it is likely, but not certain, that the mRNA vaccines with 95% protection against symptomatic COVID-19 will reduce asymptomatic spread.

But then there is the new variable of the B.1.351 “South Africa” strain that is causing concern about vaccine effectiveness.

I apologize if this is too off the topic but which vaccine seems best? Pfizer or Moderna or the new Johnson and Johnson one coming out? I am finding it difficult to wade through the information to determine. I feel like there are many competing agendas at work so true info is appreciated.

The Pfizer / BioNTech and Moderna vaccines have shown higher effectiveness in clinical trials.

However, the J&J vaccine is logistically simpler to distribute (refrigerator rather than freezer or super-freezer) and only requires one shot, so it may be easier to get for some people.

So, during the time of vaccine scarcity and uncertain availability, it may make sense to get whatever vaccine is available to you first. Then, if it is not one of the most effective vaccines, get the most effective vaccine later when it is easily available.

5 Likes

Good points. Thank you. I live in a state that is having great difficulty managing vaccination process right now so my turn is probably months away and I will take what I can get.
This may sound completely crazy but since it’s so disorganized here, I worry about only getting the 1st 1/2 or getting two halves of different ones due to overwhelming logistics. Hence, looking at the J&J one although as you noted appears less effective.

The Johnson and Johnson one has shown only 66% effectiveness. They too are considering making it a two shot process.

Wonder how many “reluctant” people are reconsidering since the new Covid variants have shown up. I know my “wait and see” sister is now on board for the vaccine sooner than later. My 98 year old dad just got his first shot and has no symptoms (yea).

1 Like

Thirty percent of the staff at my mother’s assisted living facility are refusing the vaccine, even though it was offered to them on site. All people of color. I will be reulctant to visit my mother in her apartment, once allowed, if one of these staffers has been in her room in the previous three hours. But it is their right. Hoping they feel more comfortable as time goes on. Many have had COVID so perhaps that is part of the reason.

Say the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is approved and I am able to get it in March. Come August or September the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are in abundant supply. Would I be able to get one of them to increase protection or not? And if I could get one of them would insurance pay for it given that they would have already paid for the J&J shot?

I have looked everywhere online and this scenario has not been mentioned.

My mother was unsure if she was supposed to get a vaccination at this time. She recently had a mastectomy and got an infection so she receives IV antibiotics daily. She confused this with getting another vaccination and thought it would be getting two vaccinations too close together. So Reason #1 is confusion.

Getting the shot will change nothing for her, except to give her a little piece of mind. She’ll still go to the same places every day (hospital for infusions, other doctor appointments), will still need to wear a mask, still can’t have guests over, capacity at stores and restaurants still limited. Reason #2, what will it change?

She was unwilling to go far for her vaccine or wait hours in line. She would not (could not figure out how to) go online for hours looking for a site (my nephew found this one for her). Reason #3, ability to locate the vaccine at a convenient time and place.

As I have said before I am reluctant to get the vaccine as I have already had COVID. Seems like it would be a better use of the vaccine for someone who isn’t immune, but what do I know? Doesn’t seem to follow any rational thought process to me. Anyway I’ll be getting in this week as I’d rather not have it go to waste since it is by appt only.

You might want to get an antibody test. Having had Covid does not ensure that you now have antibodies.

For other vaccines, it is common to get a different one later.

• Influenza: if you get one every year, and are not picky about it, you may be getting different formulations every year (not just different strains).
  • Shingles: if you got the less effective Zostavax, you can still get the more effective Shingrix.
  • Measles: if you got the less effective 1960s vaccine as a kid, you are recommended to get a booster.

The Moderna vaccine is supposedly the most expensive at $37 per shot. The Pfizer one is $20 per shot. Probably pocket money for the forum demographic even if insurance does not pay. More of a concern for poorer people, if insurance (if they have it) does not pay.

1 Like

A guy I work with closely had covid back in March - both him and his wife. They recently caught it again in December, and although they were expecting/hoping it would be mild the 2nd time around, he had a very rough go of it (I zoom with him daily for work). So rough, at one point I was super concerned for both him and his wife.

I suspect he’ll be getting the vaccine as soon as he’s eligible even though he’s had covid twice now.