Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Friends here are reporting they were able to get their kids appointments for next week.

It must vary by region. I bet appointments will show up soon.

Just opened the CVS web site and it says :

Select CVS PharmacyĀ® locations will be offering the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for ages 5 to 11 starting Sunday, November 7. [Schedule nowSchedule a vaccine now]

Site know Iā€™m in San Diego.

Children require different dosage and therefore cannot use the standard vaccines. It may simply be waiting for the supply of pediatric vaccines.

2 Likes

The news said this morning to allow the chain pharmacies 24 hours to get their software updated.

1 Like

Here is a bit more regarding the pediatric vaccine availability.

This comes from the latest post by Your Local Epidemiologist (Facebook). One of my favorite COVID resources.
You may also find it at

3 Likes

Got my flu shot today. Will wait a few weeks, then will start my Shingrex series.

Rather than vaccine reluctant, Iā€™m turning into a vaccine junky. :smiley:

18 Likes

I feel the same way! Booster last week, flu the week before, and am contemplating when to fit in the Shingrex which I meant to do years ago.

2 Likes

I got shingrex and flu on the same day. No problem.

3 Likes

This also describes the burden placed upon pediatric practices to administer the pediatric covid vaccine to kids: https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/second-opinions/95340?xid=nl_secondopinion_2021-11-02&eun=g1828535d0r&fbclid=IwAR2Rcj16qdguuBydVuufwlI-u--PLb4Hau78jE0PDrgvv9SuvJOfvpDQv0I

1 Like

So did I (last year). My Shingrix arm was definitely sorer, and I think I was tired the next day, but it didnā€™t bother me.

My H, however, breezed through 3 Pfizer doses with nothing more than a sore arm. The second Shingrix shot knocked him back a bit, though (not administered with any other immunization).

1 Like

Iā€™ve been trying to figure out when to do Shingrix. Did flu already, not due for a Covid booster until January. Iā€™ve been trying to time Shingrix ahead of a weekend so I donā€™t miss (or suffer through) work, but the time never seems to be right.

Weā€™re trying when to fit in our boosters. Neither H nor I had any problems with Pfizer 1 or 2, other than a sore arm, but I want to allow for time if Moderna gives us issues. Weā€™ve got FIL, Holidays, his trying to actually get some work in, and my getting a young pony schooled in the basics for a Christmas sale to work in.

Fortunately, we did Shingrix a year or two ago and had our flu shots a couple of weeks ago. Itā€™s just the booster we need to work in, and we want it at least 2 weeks before Holiday travel so it really needs to fit in next week somewhere. Weā€™ll get home Monday or Tuesday, so I guess itā€™ll be Tuesday or Wednesday and weā€™ll just deal with whatever side effects we have to deal with.

Maybe they donā€™t have the reduced dosage Pfizer vaccines near you @MaineLonghorn . That would explain appointment availability for folks who are older and are receiving the full dosage shots.

Testing kits will be in very short supply soon as OSHA just released requirements for larger companies that need to have vaxxed or tested employees. Off to find 2500 kits this weekā€¦

I raised these same issues over a year ago on ā€˜the other threadā€™ (and was shot down by the masses).

1 Like

In further absurdity, federal contractors no longer need to fire unvaxxed employees by the deadline, but are supposed to offer education and counseling. This is not our job, our HR has no idea how to implement, and our unvaxxed employees are not going to amenable. We provide avionic software, not health care education.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be surprised if CVS or Walgreens offer Pfizer at all. My pharmacy doesnā€™t. The Pfizer mRNA vaccine requires special refrigeration equipment that most pharmacies and PCPs donā€™t have. Moderna can just be stored in a regular refrigerator.

My local CVS had only Pfizer on offer for boosters. No Moderna. At least on the day I went.

Thatā€™s never been an issue around here. Many people got Pfizer in CVS and other pharmacies. Itā€™s actually Moderna thatā€™s hard to find around here.

2 Likes