Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I flew to Europe a couple of weeks ago and I believe that I needed to show a) either proof of vaccination or documentation of recent infection and b) a PCR test within 72 hours. Looks like the same with Canada.

1 Like

ā€œ Transition period if you donā€™t qualify as fully vaccinated

From October 30 through November 29, 2021, there is a short transition period when travellers who donā€™t qualify as fully vaccinated will be able to travel if they can show a valid COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of travel.ā€

Looks like it is ā€œhasta la vista, baby, until you get your shotsā€ after November 29th.

3 Likes

Good to know @BunsenBurner. I wish my state had an online vaccine passport rather than having to carry a little card.

1 Like

I wish our nation had a passport that one could voluntarily join if they wanted to. I see no problem with ā€œfreedomā€ issues if it could remain voluntary.

9 Likes

Hey, you donā€™t want to waste leftovers.

Children getting killed from Covidā€™s effects is rare. My heart goes out to those whose kids draw the really short straw. No family wants to be the one that makes the headlines. Being in VA right now, this made the news :cry::

Federal Court (Ninth Circuit) issues a stay of order to mandate vaccines in CA prisons. Union (and Ca Governor Newsom!!!) opposed mandate. Stay will go until sometime in March when a decision will be made on the merits.

Isnā€™t California mandating vaccines for school children or that still under discussion?

Yes, absolutely. Governor Newsom mandated vaccines in schools starting next year. The school mandate had the support of the teachers unions, unlike the prison unions which came out strongly against a vax mandate.

2 Likes

Arr all required to wear masks or face coverings?
Are guards required to show weekly proof of testing ? What happens if they donā€™t ?
Prisons are likely to be among the worst places for contamination since theyā€™re enclosed spaces with high density and few open windows.

1 Like

ā€œprison guards are mostly Republicans, some of whom are strongly and loudly anti-vaccineā€

Do you have a cite for this assumption? Moreover, what does it matter? Outside of hospitals/health care facilities (#1), congregate care settings (nursing homes, seniors living centers, dorms, prisons, jails) have to be the #2 priority for vaccinations per the science.

You want a job? Get a vax, or retire/quit.

1 Like

The big key for job mandates are if the needed jobs can be replaced by workers willing to get vaccinated or if the company/prison/whatever can go without some workers for a time period.

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a mad dash to become a prison guard among the few (vaccinated) workers out there looking for jobs.

If the job tends to appeal to certain political types, that is going to have to be a consideration since reactions to Covid became political some time ago and isnā€™t going to majorly change in the future from what I see.

I feel for those who want to take precautions and are stuck among those who donā€™t.

Guam, American Samoa, Palau, Northern Marianas and Puerto Rico lead all US states in vaccination rate now.

2 Likes

When my (adult) kids went to Puerto Rico in August they said you needed a proof of vax card to get into both restaurants and stores. If folks didnā€™t have one, they couldnā€™t enter.

It could very easily be why PR is high with vax percentage.

I will go to my grave not understanding people not getting vaccinated to protect the children. How heartbreaking. And maddening.

8 Likes

I saw photos of a huge Thanksgiving dinner for in laws of my dadā€™s cousin. Hosted by an unvaccinated man who had COVID in July and was on a ventilator. Lucky to survive. Not a mask in sight, of course. :rage:

A friend of mine is hestitant and still thinking about it, and then heard from their hairdresser that they have had a couple clients (been seeing them for years), that right after the vaccine, became allergic to their coloring., and it was more than one client. The hairdresser is vaccinated themselves, so its not anti-vax propaganda. This did not make my friend more comfortable about it. Also dont know if this was a temporary reaction or if these people are still having issues.

1 Like

Also, my friend had covid and it was ā€œmildā€. They are a SAHM , and do wear masks. My point is that they are on the fence and yes the vaccines save lives and outweigh the ā€œside affectsā€ in many cases , but stories or antidotes like this show that the vaccines might have not so normal side affects, and those hesitant are not all anti vaxers but worried about long term issues. (They had none from Covid itself). Also they see friends getting covid despite being vaccinated. Her kids also had covid so she is not rushing to vaccinate them either. She has also said that if she worked or went out a lot , or got really sick from Covid , she might have changed her mind, but for now she waits.

2 Likes

greater good peopleā€¦greater goodā€¦

That next variant that pops up, or the one next year, or the one in 5 years might have some serious side affects on her kids (including death). We need to get this under control now.

3 Likes