Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Has any one seen any resources tracking how things work for those people who did have adverse vaccine reactions? If they react badly to Covid, etc? How they might do with a different manufacturer booster etc?

1 Like

A good friend whom is against getting vaccinated recently told me his belief that if there were enough employee shortages in occupations critical to Employers, the mandates would fade away once federal intervention was removed. I am starting to think he is right.

2 Likes

And thatā€™s too bad. I hope to God I donā€™t have to go to a hospital where people who are supposed to look out for the health of others might make me sick. Those people are in the wrong line of work.

12 Likes

I saw a news report a couple of months ago on a doctor here in Metro Atlanta who refused to get vaccinated and was fired after being the head of emergency services at his hospital for 16 years. His response was that he had put his life on the line throughout the pandemic and had saved lives and just wanted the opportunity to continue to do so. He said he did not want Covid nor the vaccine. He ended up getting a job with another hospital in Alabama without a vaccine mandate.

Itā€™s been said before, but he will get ā€œvaccinatedā€ by getting Covid, whether he likes it or not. Hopefully he will be ok. His rationale that he wants to continue helping people is so odd. If he gets really sick with Covid and is unable to work, or gives it to others, isnā€™t he breaking his Hypocratic oath? It makes no sense.

On a happier note, my stepmom got her booster. My antivax stepbrother had been trying to convince her not to get it. (She lost her vision as a result of covid a year ago.)

7 Likes

Yeah, I do not understand the statement, ā€œHe said he did not want Covidā€¦ā€ Like you get to choose? I have a couple of friends who think their immune system can fight it off. Sigh.

When I posted a story about a woman passing from COVID after not being vaccinated, even though her daughter begged her to, I got this reply: ā€œShe lived a full life. She made the choice not to get vaccinated. Would you have supported holding her down and forcing her to get vaccinated for her own good?ā€ I responded that I would have urged her to listen to her daughter and get the shots! Geez.

7 Likes

I donā€™t know that this will be persuasive, but roughly half of COVID patients seem to have extended symptoms (long COVID): How many people get 'long COVID'? More than half, researchers find: Half of COVID survivors experience lingering symptoms six months after recovery -- ScienceDaily

1 Like

Is that vaxxed or unvaxxed or both?

There you go:

ā€œThe researchers conducted a systematic review of 57 reports that included data from 250,351 unvaccinated adults and children who were diagnosed with COVID-19 from December 2019 through March 2021. Among those studied, 79% were hospitalized, and most patients (79%) lived in high-income countries. Patientsā€™ median age was 54, and the majority of individuals (56%) were male.ā€

2 Likes

The page from Penn State is at How many people get 'long COVID?' More than half, researchers find. | Penn State University , which links to the research paper at https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2784918 .

This was a meta-analysis of 57 studies on long COVID. ā€œThe median (IQR) proportion of COVID-19 survivors experiencing at least 1 PASC at 1 month was 54.0% (45.0%-69.0%; 13 studies); at 2-5 months, 55.0% (34.8%-65.5%; 38 studies); and at 6 or more months, 54.0% (31.0%- 67.0%; 9 studies).ā€

I donā€™t have time to read the study this morning, but if 79% were hospitalized and most who get Covid are not, did they account for that when they said over half get long Covid? (honest question due to having to get out and do chores and just reading while I eat breakfast).

FWIW, my long hauler son was in his mid 20s and not hospitalized, so he would add to that majority.

2 Likes

A final update on the man from our church in his 50s who refused the vaccine (wife got vaccinated and only had mild symptoms):

Our deepest and sincere condolences are extended to ________ and her family. J entered into the presence of Jesus Sunday afternoon, Dec. 12. May our Lord continue to uphold _____, and her family, as they say their good byeā€™s. A funeral service to celebrate and remember J will be held at 1pm, Friday, December 17ā€¦

It didnā€™t have to happen. Survived by his wife, two kids, three grandkids, and siblings, etc. Very stereotypical reasons he wouldnā€™t get vaccinated. I feel for his family, esp since his wife didnā€™t share his refusal and now has to go on without him.

And now I head out for chores like itā€™s any other day for me. Seems eerie when itā€™s close to home and pretty much the exact same age group, esp knowing it didnā€™t have to happen.

May more people wake up and look at the actual odds to make their decisions, not misinformation.

6 Likes

The U.S. Air Force has dismissed 27 service members for refusing to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, the first members of the military believed to be forced out over the shots.

Since August when the Pentagon began requiring all troops to get the coronavirus vaccine or face dismissal, almost 96 percent of active duty members have had at least one shot; about 74 percent of the total force is now fully vaccinated.

Each service branch has a different deadline for shots, and the Air Force was the first to hit the deadline last month. While some military members have chosen to leave rather than be vaccinated, the 27 ā€” all with less than six years of service ā€” are the first believed to have been fired, Pentagon officials said.

7 Likes

A local hospital just fired 33 employees for vaccine refusal. They have over 2000 employees, so less than 2%. Of the fired, only 9 were full time employees, 14 were part time, and the rest were as-needed workers.

So at least here in the northeast, our health care workers are vaccinated, as they should be.

10 Likes

I would shed no tears over his leaving TBH, and am glad he didnā€™t come our way to get employment.

In a pandemic when multiple lives are at stake I prefer doctors, esp those who are head of their department, to set medical examples (on medical issues) based upon the multitude of data we have. Who knows how many listened to him and lost their lives because of his stance. Itā€™s probably someone like him who set Jā€™s mind (above) to not get vaxxed.

6 Likes

ā€œWho knows how many listened to him and lost their lives because of his stance.ā€

Without a source, letā€™s not speculate if the doctor was spreading his views with his patientsā€¦this is college confidential!

I found a video of the newscast I saw a few months agoā€¦

Well, heā€™s going to Alabama to practice. I guess they deserve each other.

3 Likes

from the video: ā€˜no where do I ever say, donā€™t get the vaccineā€¦ā€™

But he doesnā€™t say to get it, either. Heā€™s in a position of responsibility, dealing with people by his own admission who mostly have not been vaccinated. He should be saving lives by encouraging others to get the shot and being an example himself. I have no sympathy for him at all.

7 Likes