Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

A couple of interesting articles that should (but undoubtedly won’t) affect a decision to get a vaccine among those not thrice vaccinated

Re: Omicron variant symptoms may change based on your COVID vaccine status - Deseret News

Basically, more vaccine → better outcome from what Dr. Spencer observed. But he left out those who had J&J + booster (whether J&J or something else) in the above list.

But also, why are the people with mild symptoms going into the emergency room where Dr. Spencer encounters them?

6 Likes

Maybe worried about progression to worse symptoms and are hoping to get MAB or new pill?

2 Likes

Was there any information as to whether or not if they weren’t vaccinated had they had a prior Covid infection?

Yeah, that’s what people were asking all over his twitter thread, and apparently it’s what people were getting told to do for testing. There are also people who come in for something else, complain of symptoms, are tested, and there you go.

2 Likes

So because of a shortage of tests (both at-home tests and PCR tests at medical offices or pharmacies), people clog up the emergency room looking for tests?

I have read that most children hospitalized with Covid were in the hospital for other reasons and tested positive during routine screening there.

1 Like

Has anyone gone for #4 ?

I technically have 4. I was part of the AZ trial in the US but opted to get vaccinated with Moderna in Nov/Dec when it was clear that I needed a booster. I will get a true booster when I am eligible (6 months out).

Whoops, this was a reply to Rivet2000, not old mom, sorry!

AstraZeneca seems to be like a weaker version of J&J. But it apparently does stimulate T-cells more like J&J, so having a combination of Ax2 + Mx2 may be quite good, since mRNA vaccines like Moderna stimulate B-cells / antibodies more (i.e. complimentary with the T-cell stimulation from AstraZeneca).

I’m not sure how to measure mine. I got a J&J in March – I wanted Moderna or Pfizer but that was all they were serving that day. We had a trip to Italy planned and my triple Pfizer wife insisted that we could not go unless I got a booster. But the CDC had not figured out what to do with boosters for J&J and would not do so until after we left. My doctor told me I could not get a Moderna or Pfizer shot (it seemed pretty obvious that the FDA/CDC were going to recommend that) in our state but somewhat reluctantly suggested that I could go to another state and reinitiate. So, I drove an hour and got a full Moderna shot as Moderna seemed to be slightly outperforming Pfizer. Then they sent me a text with an appointment for a follow-up a month later (after the Italy trip). At that point, we were starting to read about how much J&J’s efficiency had declined after 6 months to effectively non-existent (I think to 13%), so decided to go and get the 2nd Moderna shot. I’ll wait for a Moderna or Pfizer booster as I should be pretty good on the antibodies at this point.

2 Likes

People have been clogging up ERs because of absence of tests, primary care, insurance, etc. for decades. Doc of last resort in what passes for our “system”.

And there we go: first close friend with covid. Much younger, under 30. He and his partner both have it, both vaxed x 2 but unboosted, partner is a nurse. :woman_facepalming: Tells me
“…it’s in his lungs and the coughing is going to be seared into my memory for life.” Also says, “T-bones you with waves of nausea and the brain fog is real.”

I’ve asked if they have a pulse ox and test confirmation of any kind. They’re in a major city, and if they haven’t prepped for this I don’t think it’s going to be pretty. They’ve also got a feral rescue pitbull-mix pup whom I don’t think they’ll be able to hand over to anyone else.

1 Like

I’ve known several younger people with COVID and only the two original shots - they feel pretty crappy for a day or two and then It’s done. Hopefully the same is true for your friends.

1 Like

Most of a week so far, unfortunately. Day three on the coughing for the partner.

This is my college freshman. P X2 back in April/May, no booster. Now Covid+, symptomatic with low grade fever/chills, body aches, severe fatigue, diarrhea, runny nose. sleeping tons and already 75% better on day 2.

Plus, if you do get it and you’re vaxxed, you’re significantly less likely to spread it than is an unvaxxed person.

5 Likes

You shed less virus and shed for a shorter amount of time if you’re vaccinated.

9 Likes

Medical lad told us tonight that they have a 20 year old in bad condition in the hospital now. Unvaxxed.

I get that most 20 year olds have little risk of death, but why take any when you don’t have to? Even without death, recovery isn’t a piece of cake when one has a bad case.

3 Likes

Anti-vax BIL finally home after spending about 10 days in hospital with COVID-related pneumonia. Wife called him up to see how her brother is doing. Far from having the aha moment, he is enraged at Fauci, calling him the root of all evil for creating and unleashing this virus! Crazy talking point over crazy talking point! She just wanted to see how he was doing and he brought up craziness, then hung up on her!!

He’s still on oxygen 24/7 and coughing like crazy. If he stops the oxygen his levels plummet. He is incensed that they did nothing to TREAT his COVID (don’t believe they could do much–doesn’t the new pill have to be taken early in the infection?). Enraged that there was no treatment (wonder if he wanted ivermectin?), but ignored the vaccine that could have prevented all this.

There is no way he will get vaccinated once this nightmare for him is over. Fauci will go on as the evil monster, in his mind. Whatis even worse is that his wife, son, daughter-in-law, and 4 grandkids are all avoiding the vaccine. I bet he got tired of being told at the hospital that the vaccine might have avoided all this, but will not listen.

Ugh.