Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

Anybody could infect a patient. Housekeeping, food service, janitorial personal, etc. A hospital should be the #1 place where a person should feel safe.

7 Likes

Any vaccinated employee can infect a patient. The days that the vaccine prevented infection are long gone.

8 Likes

Yes, but the viral load would probably be less. My daughter and SIL’ are physicians at a major hospital, they have enough risk as it is. They don’t need fellow employees to out them at risk, they have enough of that from patients.

I am done, CC is not a debate site. Peace out

12 Likes

Neither of these statements are true. Those who are fully vaccinated and boosted are much less likely to get infected, and those who aren’t infected do not transmit covid to others. Further, breakthrough cases are generally shorter and less severe with less viral load overall, and so the vaccinated are less likely to spread the virus even if they get it.

18 Likes

My statements are both true. Your statements are merely modifications of both. The CDC has admitted that vaccines don’t stop transmission. And given the rapid spread of COVID among vaxxed only and vaxxed and boosted people, they can infect others.

8 Likes

Either your statements aren’t true, or they are devoid of any real meaning in the context of covid and omicron. No vaccine will completely “stop transmission.” That is not how the vaccines work. That’s been the case since the pandemic began.

Vaccinations are, and have always been about probabilities. And while the probabilities aren’t as favorable against omicron as they are against delta, the combination of vaccines plus booster does significantly lessen the probably of an omicron infection. And if on the off chance a breakthrough infection does occur, then the vaccine plus booster significantly lessens the probability severe infection. In turn, both of these things lessen the probability of transmission.

To put it another way, "unvaccinated people are 20 times likelier to die, 17 times likelier to be hospitalized and 10 times likelier to be infected than the vaccinated. https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/01/12/covid-omicron-variant-live-updates/ This means the vaccinated pose a much lower risk of transmission to others.

15 Likes

From your article.

Top U.S. infectious-disease expert Anthony S. Fauci on Wednesday reiterated the stark warning that the coronavirus will probably infect most Americans eventually, but added an important caveat: While “virtually everybody is going to wind up getting exposed and likely get infected,” he said, “if you’re vaccinated and if you’re boosted, the chances of you getting sick are very, very low.”

Isn’t Fauci saying the vaccines won’t stop transmission or infection but they will prevent severe illness in most people?

Omicron has pretty much dispensed with the concept of rare “breakthrough” infections since around a million people a day are getting infected and they’re not all unvaccinated (and those are just the cases we know about officially).

And as much as I’ve enjoyed our conversation, we’re a bit off topic so I’m signing off.

5 Likes

Not sure what you don’t understand about his statement that the unvaccinated are 10 times more likely to get an infection than are the vaccinated.

As for what you quote, he wasn’t addressing the current probability of infection. Rather he was addressing the long-term context, and that even with eventual exposure resulting in infection, those who are vaccinated and boosted are extremely unlikely suffer severe consequences. Both those factors - the lower likelihood of infection, and the lower likelihood of severity of infection - play and important role in reducing the likelihood transmission, which is why those who are vaccinated are much les likely to transmit omicron than those who aren’t. Again, that is why your statements were untrue.

1 Like

The reality is, like Fauci said, we’re all getting exposed and most of us are going to be infected by Covid. Last year, today, next month, it’s happened or is going to. The outcome is certainly statistically better if you’re vaccinated but the reality is we’re all going to still deal with this. I’m happy to be better prepared (fully vaxxed and boosted) but I’m not naive enough to think I am not still susceptible, that I can’t pass it on to others and that I’ll absolutely be ok. We’re all going to get exposed regardless of our vaccination status. We’re all a potential vector to transmit. We’re all subject to possible severe illness and potentially death. Thankfully vaccines reduce our risks but in the end it’s still out there and it can still harm us.

11 Likes

I assume we are done debating infection rates, as well being done with statements like " You clearly don’t understand" since both run counter to ToS. Please keep the conversation civil, since I believe the next slow mode is a 3 hour interval.

2 Likes

Back to kids and the relative lack of concern that people have about kids getting Covid. Earlier in the post, someone noted that while cases among kids are rising quickly, they are mild. I noted that the knock-on effects could be problematic and copied an article on increased risk of diabetes and noted concern about long covid in kids. Some data from the UK.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1479115498600099842

Incidentally, I think Eric Feigl-Ding was the first researcher to note that Covid was likely going to be a pandemic.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/global/coronavirus-us-harvard-epidemiologist-predicted-covid19-outbreak/news-story/cb22df23902a6a44460884441bc898b4

4 Likes

a new study comparing the omicron and delta variants showed a 91% reduction in death and a 53% reduction in hospitalization with the omicron strain (see data).

2 Likes

That’s still a lot of hospitalizations.

2 Likes

I think that somebody working for a hospital or health clinic should be required to be vaccinated. So yep, I’d fire them.

11 Likes

DD had a baby yesterday
here exact text from the front line

'Over half the staff is out with covid. They’re not even testing the remaining staff anymore because they don’t want to know apparently. Our nurse has been working 16 hour shifts with 8 hours off between for days now. They also have major supply issues. For example, lidocaine. The suppliers are sending random off brands. They’re so low of stuff they have to try the off brand before they can use the brand name. ’

Firing the unvaccinated probably makes some folks feel really good about themselves. I wonder how the staff that’s working 16 hour shifts feels, given that they are now almost certainly working along side other infected staff.

I’m not sure if it is just out and out fear by some that the vaccine really isn’t doing what was promised
and the infection is running thru the land. Or, if it is an inability/unwillingness to change one’s position when the science changes.

7 Likes

The world is so fortunate to have these safe vaccines available in record time. They have significantly changed the course of the pandemic by decreasing infections, hospitalizations, and deaths. To dispute that is nonsense. I don’t think there are many people involved in vaccine development/immunology who expected any of these vaccines to be sterilizing.

20 Likes

Agreed. And infections are in the vaccinated and unvaccinated. And are flaming thru both groups. The point at hand was the wisdom of firing unvaccinated during a time when the vaccinated are just as likely to be infected (with a difference in there personal outcomes a consideration).

In my D’s case
she could have had a COVID positive labor and delivery staff
but she will never know because they’ve stopped checking. And the positive staff in CA is now supposed to come to work if they fall within certain parameters.

Given this, I still find it stupid to fire the un-vaxxed. Yes, it seems to LOOK good to some - but the whole ‘let’s make it look good’ thing hasn’t worked to well for us up to this point

8 Likes

I am not sure data support the statement that vaccinated are being infected at the same rate as unvaccinated, have you seen any?

I have no problem firing employees of healthcare organizations who make poor Public Health decisions during a pandemic. Definitely not the correct career for those peeps.

15 Likes

It’s just two data points, but I’ve already said that my guy and his GF along with those he works with are quite happy with his medical center’s decision to let go those who refused to get vaxxed without a solid medical reason.

Plus, very, very few of those let go (all of 1 that he knows of in his working situation) were actual medical staff.

1 Like

You can’t say I did not give a heads up before putting into slow mode:

1 Like