Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I’m envious.

And I agree with you that I wish we knew more. Some of the previous treatments don’t work for Omicron though.

2 Likes

Since most solid organ transplant centers require any transplant recipient to be vaccinated, there would be no unvaccinated patients on the list and the organs would therefore not be available to anyone. They would stay with the deceased.

1 Like

Well, that’s a shame.

I would give the organ to a third person who is vaccinated and otherwise healthy. There is no shortage of people needing a transplant.

6 Likes

Just FYI, everyone vaxxed or not, can spread covid equally.

4 Likes

"Our study does not provide information on infectiousness”

9 Likes

“There was no significant difference in viral load between vaccinated and unvaccinated, or between asymptomatic and symptomatic groups.”

"Transmission will be influenced by several factors, not just vaccination status and viral load.”

“Those factors could include, for example, when they were vaccinated and with what vaccine, the underlying status of their immune system, and the intensity of exposure.”

They’re speaking about how other things affect if you will contract covid. It clearly states viral loads are comparable.

4 Likes

That study used PCR to determine viral load based solely on Ct. As it’s been written about many times, (+)PCR does not mean that you’re infectious, only that you have detectable viral RNA fragments.

Even if you assume higher viral load means you’re more likely to be infectious, the actual study that you linked to cites a study in Singapore that showed viral loads decreased more rapidly in vaccinated individuals compared to unvaccinated individuals: Virological and serological kinetics of SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant vaccine-breakthrough infections: a multi-center cohort study
as well as a study in England showing vaccinations reduced transmission: The impact of SARS-CoV-2 vaccination on Alpha & Delta variant transmission | medRxiv

Note all of these studies are pre-omicron, so what they mean now in this omicron wave is yet to be determined. Omicron is known as being immune-evasive, leading to the massive numbers of cases since early December. Still, being vaccinated - especially getting a booster - has a tremendous impact on hospitalizations and deaths. Vaccinations are supposed to reduce the severity of disease, and they have done that to great effect, even now with omicron fueled spread.

7 Likes

Yes, but vaccinated people are 1/5 to 1/3 as likely to get COVID-19 in the first place (even less likely if boosted).

So, even if viral loads are similar in vaccinated breakthrough infections and unvaccinated infections, vaccinated people are less likely to be spreaders because they are less likely to get COVID-19 in the first place.

4 Likes

Are they less likely or are they just not being counted because they aren’t showing symptoms or are showing only mild symptoms that are overlooked? The study shows similar viral loads between vaxxed and unvaxxed, symptomatic, asymptomatic.

I’m not against the vaccine just showing everyone is a potential spreader, even the vaccinated, asymptomatic person.

5 Likes

You’re drawing a conclusion they specifically said they didn’t test for. We have no idea if virus is shed at the same rate, for a comparable length of time or whether the virus that might be shed is even still still infectious.

4 Likes

Unvaccinated people may also get asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic infections that get overlooked or assumed to be colds, allergies, etc…

Yes, everyone can be a potential spreader, but unvaccinated people have greater potential to be spreaders.

3 Likes

It seems in highly vaccinated places, like many college campuses, etc that the potential, by shear numbers, is much more for a vaccinated person to spread covid. Omicron really didn’t care that my son’s campus had a 98.5% vaccination rate. Omicron spread from vaccinated individuals to other vaccinated individuals. Many areas have high vaccination rates and in those areas it seems more cases amongst vaccinated is a given. Obviously being vaccinated is advantageous as far as symptoms and severity.

5 Likes

Of course, it may have spread even faster in a less vaccinated population.

5 Likes

Just FYI, this isn’t true.

Also only people with covid can spread covid, and you have a lower chance of getting it if you are vaccinated.

10 Likes

The head of the Maine CDC posted this today:

“Yes, meteorologists have immersed themselves in mastering their field for years, studying the intricacies of physics and mathematical modeling.
But this person on Facebook says the storm tomorrow isn’t going to be that big of a deal, so I’m going with that.
I mean, for all we know, this storm is just being hyped up by Big Snowblower and various corporate shovel interests.
Plus, why all this focus on “plowing” the snow if it’s only going to keep falling?
I mean, if you plow, you still have snow. And if you don’t plow, you still have snow. What’s the point?
I thought plowing was supposed to ELIMINATE snow hazards, right?”

My thought was, “They can operate on me if I get hurt, so why can’t I speed during a blizzard? How dare you ask me to slow down!”

Also, “Geez, they changed the snowfall amount forecast when more data came in - why do they keep CHANGING it?? How can we trust them?”

25 Likes

Research shows if you put Ivermectin in your radiator then you won’t have any more snow until next year.

14 Likes

@MaineLonghorn , I LOVE your CDC director!!! You’ve posted his/her stuff before and this person makes WAY too much sense to be in a position of authority in this country!

Well done!

5 Likes

Perhaps the Maine CDC director should review all the dumb decisions people make in the face of a Category 4 or 5 hurricane, particularly when the state authorities have issued evacuation orders. Those who ignore them and stay put “to protect the house” are often the same ones calling 911 in a panic during the storm surge . . .

1 Like

Yes we’re fortunate to have him. He conducts the best press briefings. He’s clear, concise, and unflappable. I’m afraid somebody’s going to steal him away from us.

5 Likes