Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

The Oscar Slap thread has done much to highlight a condition known as alopecia. This brought to mind that there is yet another reason to want to avoid a Covid infection.

Since H and I had both of the original vaccines and then our booster in late November and Omicron in January we are waiting before getting a second booster shot.

Had my annual physical today. My PCP recommended I have a booster, I had my first booster middle of November.

Had moderna since thatā€™s what they had. So 2 Pfizer, 2 moderna. I figure if nothing else, if thereā€™s a shortage Iā€™ve received mine.

1 Like

That makes sense, from reading the article. Thatā€™s what the epidemiologist recommends.

1 Like

We are starting to sound like baseball scores! Pfizer, 2 Moderna, 2. LOL. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Iā€™ve had my 3, got them all as soon as I possibly could! Last one (the booster) was in November. And I am very open to a 4th (I am over fifty, but just barely of course :joy:). But this time Iā€™m less confident about the timing. I thought Iā€™d be skipping off to the pharmacy as soon as I was eligible, like in the past. But cases are relatively low where I live, and Iā€™m considering waiting until there are signs of a real surge. Iā€™m not sure I want to get one now, and then go into a summer with barely any cases/risk, but then have cases rise in the fall (for example), and be stuck with an old, waned, 4th shot from the spring. I also feel like where I live, we are going into the season where a lot of activity occurs outdoors, further decreasing risk. I wish I knew if they were going to recommend a booster approximately every 6 months, or what. I donā€™t want to ā€œwasteā€ my booster during a period of low transmission. But maybe weā€™ll just keep getting them every 6 months and it doesnā€™t matter? Is there anyone else who is perfectly pro-vaccine, but questioning the timing of their 4th shot?

2 Likes

The epidemiologist in the article I posted advised against waiting. Iā€™ve followed her all through the pandemic and trust her advice.

1 Like

LOL I missed a whole bunch of posts talking about the same topic I brought up. Sorry, my website didnā€™t update for some reason ;-).

1 Like

Weā€™re waiting a little bit, but thatā€™s to time the most effective part of the protection for our trip with FIL. Heā€™s the one weā€™re the most worried about if he were to get it, but not worried so much that we wonā€™t take the trip with him, because at 94, I donā€™t know how much time heā€™ll have left to be able to take such a trip.

Our motto has always been weā€™d rather truly live and die young than grow into old age and have done absolutely nothing.

Even so, we still wear seatbelts, donā€™t use phones while we drive, and will be getting boosters for extra precaution.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was waffling, but my husband who is a biologist, but nothing to do with viruses was gungho. The med school where he works just strongly suggested everyone go back to wearing masks. Iā€™m hoping that the next shot I get will actually work on whatever the new variant is.

I think it definitely depends on your location and upcoming plans (along with the usual age/health stuff). We donā€™t have any exciting plans coming up. Our summer vacation will be visiting our kids in a highly vaxā€™d area. And my local area seems to be a good 2-4 weeks behind the rest of the country. We are just now finally coming down to low levels from omicron 1.0! We will likely be a few weeks behind everyone for the 2.0 surge. Not to mention Iā€™m a few months shy of 50 anyway, so itā€™s moot for me. But H isnā€™t in a hurry either at this point. Of course that could change at any time.

I got my 4th shot few weeks ago - 3 full Modernaā€™s and 1 Pfizer
My company announced a week ago that we are to go back 3 days a week. I requested for a permanent office in anticipation. Today they told me that we have just gone to ā€œredā€ again, which means no going to the office unless absolutely necessary.

Regarding Long Covid, here is a column by a thoughtful public health person:

https://s2.washingtonpost.com/camp-rw/?trackId=611e71219bbc0f4d01a95069&s=62460f8e79d9d21aa1116187&linknum=5&linktot=64

1 Like

The summary is that, although vaccination reduces the risk of getting COVID-19 and the risk of getting long COVID if one gets COVID-19, there is not enough known about the risk so that there is still considerable guessing when trying to assess risk of long COVID and where that fits into oneā€™s personal risk tolerance and what one can personally do regarding it.

where are things ā€œredā€ again? sigh.

My favorite part of the article: I think she boiled the decision down to each personā€™s individual risk tolerance, which is my own stance and that both examples (someone taking more precautions and someone who accepts the risks with the protection provided by vaccines) given by Dr. Wen are presented as reasonable decisions as we continue to look for therapeutics to help treat or prevent Long Covid symptoms.

4 Likes

Nyc. We are usually a leading indicator.

I am really curious as to why someone would not get a Covid qualitative antibody test before running towards the 4th jab (with a 5th already in the rumbling)?

Wouldnā€™t you want to know if your antibodies are currently in the high zone? Did anyone test their levels before the third shot and then after to see if you had an immune response.

My before #3 were 1.75 (an no one was willing to say what that meant)ā€¦ Same test after #4 and the level was #150 (high)ā€¦ Now itā€™s #135 (still high). What possible reason would there be for someone in my position to take a fourth jab without underling information on Just because the odometer read 60+ means this is a good thing for My.Own.Body?

Aside from a few states you can order your own antibody test. In CA via Quest labs it runs you $75. If you get a doc to issue the order the negotiated rate is much less.

I figure I am worth $75 to see where my body is at before charging full speed ahead towards something that is recommended for the norm/median/ average based on age. Which is such a funny cut off. So a 49 year old is safe, but a 51 year old had better run at whatever speed their old body allows - to get yet another jab - for a variant that is no longer in circulation.

Reminds me of the sayingā€¦ā€˜they jumped on their horses and rode off wildly in all directionsā€™

PSā€¦if your antibodies are high based on a homogenous previous vaccination routine, wouldnā€™t you want to add something different. And if your antibodies are low based on a previous homogeneous protocolā€¦maybe you donā€™t respond to that particular vaccineā€¦and againā€¦wouldnā€™t want to know and make an informed decision to MAYBE take a different type?

5 Likes

Because itā€™s only one part of the immune response. Other parts, such as T cells, need to work as well.

6 Likes

Nope, Iā€™m good. Perfectly happy to get the booster ASAP.

4 Likes