Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

1 Like

And then what happens to oneā€™s body when they have repeated insult after insult after being exposed to multiple variants. Scary.

3 Likes

I think we go too far sometimes with the fear of Covid. The facts are that it has been deadly for approximately 1% of the population (more like .1%-.2% for the vaccinated), it has been has been very transmissible, and it has some after-effects for a portion of the population which are all terrible outcomes.

But we as human beings have been surviving plagues and viral menaces since the beginning of human history and we have never been more prepared in the history of mankind to fight back.

4 Likes

We have friends who were infected very early on (is that called wild strain?) and were in London a few weeks ago and were reinfected (BA.2?). One is immunocompromised. They are fortunate to get the best medical care, but good treatment probably does not reduce the consequences of Long Covid.

1 Like

Other than the thousands of people who die in the US each year from cancer caused by viruses and the tens of thousands who die from the infection itself. Those donā€™t survive. But yes, other human beings survive. Itā€™s nice to be in the ā€œotherā€ category, too bad someone canā€™t pick and choose. But having not a fear of Covid, but acknowledgement and respect, helps to tilt someoneā€™s chances towards the ā€œotherā€ category.
I like your optimism and hope you are correct.

5 Likes

Were they vaccinated? If so, some data show a lower risk of long covid in the vaccinated who do get infected.

1 Like

I have very similar thoughts to yours! I donā€™t find any studies that I read to be personally very useful at helping me gauge the risks I care about. I am not highly concerned about the vast majority of long covid symptoms if I knew theyā€™d clear up within 6 months, and a good portion of the symptoms donā€™t concern me much while others would concern me greatly. The studies seem to mingle all of this together. Iā€™d love to see the risks for someone my age, fully boosted, without known long-covid risk factors such as diabetes, etc, and specifically for symptoms that would persist 6 months to indefinitely, that would get in the way of quality of life, AND with the current strain of the virus!!

It seems logical to me that Omicron will cause less long-covid than strains that caused more severe disease, but of course we wonā€™t KNOW the answer to that for another year. (Note that Fauci article above is from December, and he was just theorizing about the risk from Omicron, not referring to data). Iā€™ve searched and havenā€™t really found quality information on Omicron-induced long covid, I think itā€™s just too soon. Fortunately, I donā€™t know of a single person appearing to suffer from long-covid from Omicron despite knowing literally hundreds of people who got Omicron (meaning, all the people Iā€“or my family members-- know who had Omicron felt fully recovered in a few days and do not notice any residual issues). Iā€™m sure there are people who will get long-covid from Omicron, but itā€™s hard to not be influenced by what you see right in front of you with the people you know. Iā€™m not sure it makes sense to use numbers from Delta or Alpha or wild-type when assessing the risk of long-covid from Omicron, but if we donā€™t look at that, then we have nothing to look at!

Long covid remains my biggest concern, but my concern level about it has dropped considerably from last year as I continue to see vaccinated people not get very sick and recover without lingering annoying symptoms. I read the articles about the people with severe long-covid and it makes me terrified, people who have to give up work and stay in bed all day. And then I realize that I donā€™t directly (or even by a couple degrees of separation) know of a single person thatā€™s happened to. I believe they are out there, but itā€™s clearly rare. But I remain grateful I havenā€™t gotten covid, and I am not cavalier about getting it.

2 Likes

There are so many variables, in particular the timing of the vaccinations/booster(s) relative to infection. I wonder if this makes a difference?

I hope the researchers are working fast and furiously on this (I am sure they are). I recently read that long covid symptoms supposedly resolve in 9 months, yet Iā€™ve read of cases that havenā€™t. Itā€™s kind of a cavalier statement re the 9 months, actually ā€“ do all the MRIs, etc. show a complete return to normal? Do they have that kind of evidence?

Lots of speculation out there re long covid. I wish there was some good firm data!

1 Like

99.9% of fully vaccinated and boosted individuals fall in your ā€œotherā€ category when it comes to living despite catching Covid. That number jumps to well over 99.99% if you are a 20 year old in the ā€œotherā€ category. For those who have chosen not to get vaccinated, I strongly disagree with that decision, but they absolutely have the right to make that decision. But they are removed from my personal ā€œcalculusā€ when it comes to overall pandemic effects of serious long term consequences and deaths causes by Covid.

Almost 1 million people have died during the last 2 years due to Covid in the US, but how many were fully vaccinated or fully vaccinated and boosted? Why donā€™t we know that number since we are asked to make sacrifices for the greater good? Why are our hospitals not completely overwhelmed with Long Covid cases? I am not saying that we donā€™t have a problem with Long Covid (research is still ongoing), but our public health apparatus should clearly show the distinction between the vaccinated and unvaccinated with all data points to make a case why getting vaccinated is important.

5 Likes

J&J last year, P booster early October, second P booster next week. same for DH. At the time our local big push clinic opened, J&J was still on the radar and I was just glad tohave any vaccine at all.

Our immcomp son was double vaxxed and boosted once; he has been lazy about getting his second even though he has been eligible for much longer than us. Turning my hair gray, he is.

1 Like

I have a sore arm from the booster yesterday, but thatā€™s it. Iā€™m still baffled as to why people hesitate to get this shot. It was encouraging that the pharmacist said lots of people are coming in for it. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

What you say is true. I was talking specifically pre-Covid numbers. The thousands who die each year from viruses caused by cancer, the thousands who die each year from autoimmune disease caused by viruses and the tens of thousands who die each year from the virus itself as I mentioned in my post are pre-Covid, as that number is obviously higher now. You referred to how people have lived with viruses ā€œsince the beginning of human historyā€. I am saying not everyone lived. Many die. But many were not infected in the first place. The magnitude now is obviously on a different level. And we have yet to see the coming wave of the burden of chronic disease caused by this virus.

Why would you remove them? Do you not agree that a large number of deaths and a long Covid occur in the unvaccinated?
As far as the overall numbers, I think the system was so overwhelmed that the numbers were impossible to keep up with, partly because hospitals do not care if youā€™re vaxxed or unvaxxed. They treat either way. Hospitals are not overwhelmed with long Covid. Clinics are.

Why? I think weā€™ve moved past that argument long ago. Yes, it would be nice to know, but as far as making a case as to why someone should get vaccinated, I donā€™t think it would change anyoneā€™s mind at this point.

1 Like

True. I just wish everyone was taking advantage of this preparedness, meaning wearing masks when advised and getting vaccinated.

2 Likes

You have to be pretty sick to be admitted to the hospital. For many, long Covid is just a lower grade of misery that ends up at doctorsā€™ offices or clinics.

4 Likes

This is my concern TBH, but weā€™ve made the decision to keep living, fully vaxxed and boosted, in spite of it.

I canā€™t fathom why people who can wonā€™t get vaxxed. As far as I know, every single risk with the vax (except the sore arm) is multiplied far greater with Covid, itself. Relatively few die. Far higher numbers live with ongoing medical issues they know about and deal with, and it seems like far higher numbers than that have medical issues they might not know about yet.

But I refuse to live in a bubble. Weā€™ll take the precautions that seem wise to us or are asked for by others. Then weā€™re going to enjoy life while we still have it to live.

6 Likes

I persuaded H to go ahead and get a fourth shot with me next week, as long as itā€™s not at Walgreens. The pharmacy tech (or pharmacist, I donā€™t know which) at the Publix nearest us was rude on the phone and refused to answer any questions about availability or scheduling. I think some of her reaction was due to frustration with the corporate offices, which she vented about to me.

Our PCPā€™s office said they couldnā€™t do it until right before Easter. Fortunately, I found another Publix pharmacy with an opening next week. Weā€™re canceling one of our routine babysitting days without explaining the reason in case H reacts like he did previously.

Weā€™re hoping this shot will be adequate to cover us through October. If yet another shot is recommended, maybe by then it will provide better protection against the variants.

Not sure what weā€™re doing about Easter. Unvaxā€™d D will likely invite us to have dinner inside their home with her unvaxā€™d in-laws. We previously turned down similar invitations. At some point, weā€™ll have to go again and be prepared with lots of non sequiturs to avoid political discussions.

I got my Pfizer booster yesterday after having done Moderna x3. Happy to say while the Moderna kicked my butt, I barely even have a sore arm from the Pfizer. Havenā€™t taken any painkillers.

4 Likes

My 3rd booster, Moderna , I hardly had any reaction. I just had my 4th, another Moderna, a much bigger reaction than the last one. Ran a temperature and overall achy. Feeling a bit better today. Beats getting Covid

2 Likes

While I agree that getting a fourth shot is better than getting covid, that isnā€™t the decision that is being made. People are trying to decide if getting a fourth shot now, is going to substantially change their risk of getting covid, or if they should hold off a bit.

I am 4 months past my third shot. Iā€™ve read things that say that the longer between shots the better since it gives the immune system time to respond. Iā€™ve also got no travel planned in the next couple months but have a lot planned for the summer. I think Iā€™m going to hold off for May or June. It will give me longer between shots and my shots will be fresher when we actually do travel.

2 Likes