Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I agree that it’s unlikely to pass but the fact that multiple senators took the time to put it in writing for official consideration is both disheartening and disgusting.

3 Likes

The RI legislator has achieved his/her goal–they’ve got you talking about it.

Then again, I’d be OK with such a law–public health trumps individual selfishness.

To each his own–we mandate other vaccines–should we let polio come back in the name of “freedom”?

4 Likes

I think the Founding Fathers would be appalled at the way the word “freedom” has been misused the last couple of years. :frowning:

6 Likes

Interesting article - “New Evidence to Help Address Vaccine Hesitancy.”

2 Likes

It’s interesting, but I’m afraid that most who’ve not yet gotten the vaccine won’t be inclined to do so now regardless of such evidence.

Indeed. About 66% of US is fully vaccinated, and of those, ~45% are boosted. And those numbers haven’t moved much in weeks despite plenty of vaccines available.

66% of total, 70.2% of age >= 5 (i.e. those who can get vaccinated), according to CDC COVID Data Tracker . Percentage vaccinated increases with age in the US. Note that this is not true in some other places.

1 Like

the denominator is not all that important at this point, it’s the near flat trend line that is the key message IMO. If folks want a vaccine/booster they would have gotten one by now.

Here is a survey with demographic breakdowns:

1 Like

I am curious. Are you saying that “Founding Fathers” would be appalled in regards to how some Americans have handled the pandemic in regards to their “freedoms”?

My personal opinion is that the thought that the “Founding Fathers” would be appalled by those refusing vaccination in the name of personal freedom is a romanticized belief. It is hard for me to imagine our “Founding Fathers” being more “enlightened” than we are today as a society when so many rights were withheld from women and freedom was withheld from slaves.

3 Likes

I suspect the numbers don’t change much in the US considering what I hear from my guy and GF in their hospitals. Deaths get harped on (understandably), but rarely do we see the “other” effects from severe Covid in US news.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/covid-19-only-29-percent-hospitalised-patients-fully-well-one-year-2643796

1 Like

What percentage of those hospitalized patients are full vaccinated or fully vaccinated and boosted? They have not provided enough data to come to a definitive conclusion based on individual risk factors.

1 Like

Tracking COVID-19 in California - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response indicates that in California between March 28 to April 3, 2022, unvaccinated people had a 5.5 times higher case rate and 12.5 times higher hospitalization rate than vaccinated and boosted people (hospitalization rates are probably reliable, but case rates probably are less reliable).

4 Likes

One aspect that I don’t think gets talked about enough, in my opinion, is excess weight (the article says, “. It also found that obese people were half as likely to fully recover”). As soon as I learned (over 2 years ago), that obesity—and even just being overweight at lower levels—contributed to such a vast extent to hospitalization, I realized this is something so many of us (including me) could do for our friends working in the ER, etc. Losing weight can be very hard, but while our healthcare worker friends were doing overtime, we could all think of it as our own obligation to make sure we get in a healthy weight range, which would take a tremendous amount of the burden off our hospitals. We’ve had over 2 years, and if that message was communicated more (whether the motivation was to save your own life or to do your duty to alleviate the stress experienced by overburdened healthcare workers), it could have made a real difference, I think. Every bit as much as other mitigation efforts could make a difference, so too could our country getting in shape. I did use that as incentive to lose some weight, and I wasn’t entirely successful in losing every single pound I meant to, but that motivation did help me to lose most of it. But I would have appreciated our experts placing a greater emphasis on the importance of losing weight for both “the cause” and for our own sakes more than I’ve seen; it could have saved lives, prevented a large portion of long-covid cases, kept our ICUs emptier, etc, possibly more than many other efforts that were emphasized more.

13 Likes

There’s so much still unknown……
Now there’s reports of severe hepatitis in young children throughout the world.
Scotland reports 5 in 3 weeks (usually have less than 4/year).

Then 10 in Scotland, 74 in UK in early April.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease-outbreak-news/item/acute-hepatitis-of-unknown-aetiology---the-united-kingdom-of-great-britain-and-northern-ireland?fbclid=IwAR2E67BXEgGnTd4IYIyzfYgcXbbQPwxrDuXQ8F4HuEQE8NEw4rZC4ENV1yw
Several in the US

Spain

Israel

Almost all of the children are positive for adenovirus and SARS2. Many have needed liver transplants. No one knows the etiology of the hepatitis but before SARS2 adenovirus alone did not cause this level of severity of liver disease. Some physicians are seeing a bump in HLH also.

Unfortunately hospitalizations are not reliable because many are hospitalized for something other than covid and when tested upon admission are found to have covid but not hospitalized because of covid

1 Like

Also- what percentage are hospitalized due to covid versus in the hospital for something else and found to be positive.

2 Likes

This study follows patients from April 2020 and earlier - not many would have been fully vaccinated and hospitalized at that point. In order to get the one year time frame they had to use earlier cases.

I definitely hope being vaccinated, even if hospitalized, helps, but honestly? I’m not sure. Later studies should be able to include more groups.

We think Covid has been around for a long time because it sure seems like a long time (at least to me), but in reality, for long term studies, it’s just a babe.

I’ve been following those incidents for a little while now. I really hope they can pinpoint something and find a fix. I feel for the families involved.

I’m also glad there’s no Covid vax correlation.

1 Like

True, but not at all an issue with what I posted since that study was solely looking at severe Covid cases and how many fully recovered within a year.

Like you, I wish they would publish “hospitalized because of Covid” data and not lump in all Covid cases in the hospital. It makes a big difference.

1 Like