Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I am so sorry to hear this! I hope you continue to improve, and am also glad you were vax’d and boosted.

1 Like

This is what so many people don’t get. I’m glad you were vaccinated/boosted!

6 Likes

That one does not say much of anything about the effect of vaccination on long COVID (post acute COVID syndrome or PACS). However, it contains a reference to https://www.publichealthontario.ca/-/media/Documents/nCoV/COVID-WWKSF/2022/04/impact-vaccination-post-acute-covid-19-syndrome.pdf?sc_lang=en which says in the conclusion that “We identified two studies which demonstrated a 50-80% lower odds of vaccinated individuals developing PACS when compared to unvaccinated controls, while one study observed no significant difference in the prevalence of PACS. Evidence was mixed regarding the impact of COVID-19 vaccination administered after acute infection on the improvement of PACS.”

I was looking through disclosure documents Pfizer sent out. So far, they’re not good. Of course, I want plenty of time to digest this. Here’s the link for anyone who wants to see the actual studies for themselves.

https://phmpt.org/pfizers-documents/

FDA limits use of JNJ vaccine:

The US Food and Drug Administration announced Thursday that it is limiting the emergency use authorization of the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Covid-19 vaccine to people 18 and older for whom other vaccines aren’t appropriate or accessible and those who opt for J&J because they wouldn’t otherwise get vaccinated.

The FDA said in that the change is being made because of the risk of a rare and dangerous clotting condition called thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) after receiving the vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/05/health/fda-johnson-johnson-vaccine-eua/index.html

1 Like

So much for vaccine diversity in the US.

Likely also means that the Oxford - AstraZeneca vaccine (another viral vector vaccine with reported higher rates of TTS than the J&J vaccine) will not be approved in the US.

AZ has no intention of completing the filing for EUA for their vaccine in the US. (AFAIK)

Next different US vaccine possibility is Novavax, which FDA committee reviews June 7.

Anecdotal comment here, but my hematologist (who I saw for my ITP which was very likely triggered by the Pfizer booster) treated several patients with major thrombosis caused by the J&J vaccine. No one died, thankfully, but his description was seriously terrifying. One woman had blood clots everywhere, including in her brain.

1 Like

Not good as in they failed to disclose material problems with the vaccine contained in the studies?

1 Like

That is correct.

I think this may address the issue:

My mil has been struggling with a mystery illness. At least 3 negative Covid tests.

We went to dinner 2 weeks ago, she didn’t feel well and had the shakes at dinner. Took a Covid test before, negative. She’s still feeling terrible 2 weeks later. Elevated white counts, chest and sinus xrays are negative. More negative Covid tests. Maybe a bacterial infection, started an antibiotic.

We call yesterday, she complains that everything tastes awful, can’t smell. Feels restless and can’t get relaxed. Trouble sleeping.

Today, her heart rate is elevated and her O2 levels have dropped, goes to emergency, once there her heart rate is good and her O2 levels are good. Emergency doctor says it looks like post viral symptoms that I’m seeing. Going to run another blood screen.

Covid? Another virus? Bacterial infection? It’s so confusing. My fil did not get sick, neither did my husband or I but we had just received our 2nd booster. Mil did not. Despite being exposed twice before with close contacts my fil has never contracted Covid.

This is one weird disease or it could be something else. So hard to figure these things out.

I continue to have the feeling that we as a society (in terms of our behavior) and even folks describing their Covid routines give inadequate weight to the probability and consequences of long Covid. It makes me more cautious than I would otherwise be.

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/07/long-covid-next-health-crisis?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosdeepdives&stream=top

https://www.axios.com/2022/05/07/what-we-know-long-covid?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosdeepdives&stream=top

7 Likes

Thanks for that data which is much closer to what I have been hoping to see.

I think about the probability and consequences of Long Covid, but I have seen a lower incidence in my “village” of Long Covid than what was reported for fully vaccinated individuals (9.5%) possibly due to most in my immediate view being fully vaccinated and boosted (or double boosted) which most likely lowers the chances of Long Covid even more. I am personally willing to take some calculated risks for an increased quality of life.

I also believe that since a large number of Americans have possibly been infected ~60% (along with ~75% of children) along with no end in sight for Covid has caused some (like myself) to move on in some ways. I would not be shocked to see that ~60% of the population being infected increases to 90%+ of the population in the next 2 years.

2 Likes

Venting… My co-working/underling was sick yesterday. Said it started out as allergies/cold late last week and got significantly worse Sunday evening, and was moving into the chest. Tried to come in Monday, but left after a couple hours and went to her doctor. The doctor did NOT test her for covid, flu, or strep. He just gave her an antibiotic for a sinus infection/bronchitis because her sinuses were swollen. She is not better today and still running a fever. 99*, but that’s the morning temp. Really? No tests at all? She wanted to come into work this morning, but I said no. And tomorrow she’s off to pick up her D from college.

Meanwhile, my S was sick sinus last Thursday. he thought it was allergies, but when meds didn’t help he figured he was sick. He heard several people in his office (he went in on Wendesday) had strep. Saturday he went to urgent care. They tested for everything, but everything was negative. He pressed saying that twice in college he had strep that showed up negative the first time. So they sent a sample to the lab, along with a PCR test. Both came back positive - he had strep and covid! A few hours after the antibiotic, he felt tons better. He said he never felt THAT bad, and it never got into his chest thank goodness. I’m sort of surprised he never came down with it before now. He’s vaxd boosted, but they go out to eat all of the time and he works out in a crowded/poorly ventilated gym.

I was diagnosed with Covid on Mother’s Day. (so glad I wasn’t with my daughter!) I woke up with wheezing and coughing and went to urgent care figuring it was bronchitis. I was very surprised that the Covid test was positive. I am taking Paxlovid in addition to meds for bronchitis) and feeling much, much better.

I am a therapist at a community mental health clinic. We have very strict Covid protocols for ourselves and for our clients, but this variant is so contagious–three people out of the usual 10-15 who come into the office were infected laset week. Be careful out there!

FYI, this is in Brooklyn, NYC where the risk level recently rose from green to yellow.

Handy map showing vaccination rates. Hover over your county to see local stats. Map was updated yesterday.

Even in highly vaxxed areas, not all show high booster rates.

Years ago when my kids were sick, they always did a quick strep test AND one that took longer. Is that no longer normal protocol for strep?

I’ve never had that done for any family member in 25 years. But I wouldn’t say we have the best medical facilities here (understatement).

Our docs do the quick test, medicate for strep if appropriate while waiting for the longer test.

Similar issue with COVID where tests may be negative at first, and also the PCR should be done if home test is negative but symptoms fit.

1 Like