Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

I guess I am part of the problem, because getting the vaccine is about the farthest thing on my radar screen. Maybe in a year or two, but honesty probably not.

2 Likes

Mind telling us why? Is it because you don’t think you need it or it’s too difficult to sign up right now? Really curious.

Sure, but I don’t want to get into any great debate. Just in looking at the experience of the country over the past year, I am not very concerned about the risks posed by COVID to myself or family or to the people with whom we come in contact with regularly.

1 Like

@Mcastrellon thanks for replying. And I will respect your position.

But I do wonder if you feel that your life or that of your family feels at all restricted by the provisions in place right now by the pandemic?

And I also wonder if it will make any difference if proof of a vaccine will be required for fly for instance?

I don’t want this to be a condemnation of your choice. I am truly curious if any restrictions that may be placed on those who choose not to be vaccinated would change your mind?

Right now I think many colleges require a meningitis vaccine. Elementary schools can require other vaccines to enroll.

But I guess a vaccine for Covid will be down the line as they become available

3 Likes

Per the terms of this thread, I don’t and I won’t get into a fight about vaccinating or not.

I would like to have some polite, insightful conversation

5 Likes

I didn’t read all of the comments on the thread (on my laptop this board is slow as molasses) but I read enough to be disturbed by people who think for instance that being “very healthy” is a ticket to not getting or suffering badly from COVID.

Impossible I know, but I wish that everyone had to receive some sort of COVID counseling to get up to date educated on the why’s or why-nots of getting the vaccine. If you decide no after the educating, well, I guess we try to deal. Too much info out there on the “airwaves” to know what source is turning someone on or off to getting the vaccine.

3 Likes

For sure, I and my family feel restricted by what is in place right now for COVID.

I don’t have a philosophical position against vaccines, so to the extent that proof of vaccination for COVID were required for something we deemed important, then we would get the vaccine.

I hope it doesn’t come down to that, though.

3 Likes

Do you not worry about the people who are in the chain of contacts created by those you actually do come in contact with?

3 Likes

Again @Mcastrellon thank you for being so honest. It’s very helpful.

I remind people to be respectful of this topic and for one of our members for being honest. Even if we don’t agree, we must respect that many people have reservations about the vaccine.

My opinion is that we can learn from other’s opinions

10 Likes

my parents (79/80) probably won’t get it. My dad had CV and pretty much thinks he’s immune. No idea why my mom won’t. it frustrates me, but I’m going to have to figure out a way not to show my anger. I regret badgering her this week; i dont think that helped her thought process. They are in our bubble, so its not like I’d exclude them down the line . . .

i have had major reactions to shots and I’m allergic to bees; but i’ll certainly get a shot when it’s time. I know a college kid who’s recovered from CV, but concerned about the fertility talk going on around it. I’m not up to speed on that one.

Who cannot get the vaccine? I undertand that those under 16 haven’t been tested but that is so low risk as to be negligible. Other than that, the mRNA vaccine is not live, alergic reactions are rare, and I haven’t seen any CDC recommendation for any group not to get it.

The lack of data here is what is concerning, was it 10 or 1000 that had been previously infected. Without any data I consider these statements absolutely meaningless.

We just have to wait for the full data release. With that said, pharma companies tend to be pretty conservative wrt their communications
so if those data were small and/or insignificant numbers, I doubt it would have made it into their top line report.

1 Like

Maybe, but my trust in big Pharma is not exactly without reservation. Remember this is a corporation we are talking about and skewing data one way or the other can affect there bottom line which, IMO drives virtually all their decision making.

3 Likes

My 75yo sister (not at all good health) and my bil both got theirs last week with no issues. My best friend (a childcare worker) got hers Saturday. She was VERY against it. I talked to her and explained what an immunology professor who has researched the vaccine told us and then had her talk to her Dr. She has severe bee allergies and a couple other issues. Her doctor told her that her issues had nothing to do with this vaccine, agreed with the professor and told her to go get it! She did great. Her husband is getting one from Dupont this week. Her daughter, young with a kindergartner (single mom) who works as a dental hygienist will not get it. Her friends told her it is too dangerous, one of them is trained to draw blood so she trusts her above anyone else. Two people she knows had reactions. She won’t do it. She will only listen to her friends who are totally against it. They even are closing her office for a day after the staff gets the shot because they are worried that many of the people will have bad reactions. That doesn’t help.

I wish I could get it. I worry most about my almost 1yo grandson who won’t be able to get it for at least another year, maybe longer and can’t wear a mask but hi mom is going to have to go back to work because his dad is a deadbeat!

1 Like

I have relatives who have a “ wait and see” attitude. When one asked why I didn’t feel the same I said “Wait and see what happens to other people”? So you believe I should expect someone else
not me 
to be the guinea pig. Why, exactly “ not me ”? We need as many people as possible to get the vaccine as quickly as possible. This isn’t like heart medicine where what I do could have no effect on others. I ask “ myself Why not me”?

At least my 75 year old cousin said she hadn’t thought of it this way and would think about it from that perspective.
“

9 Likes

My 83 yo aunt does not want to get it. She wants others to go first. She is afraid that since this is a new vaccine, there could be some as of yet unseen side effects. When she told my dad her opinion, he was incredulous and angry. He tried to talk her into getting it.

I watched Bill Maher the other night and he had folks on who had the same attitude as my aunt. They expressed it more eloquently, but basically they were nervous about getting a new kind of vaccine. They said they’d be happy to take an old tech version.

1 Like

The JNJ and Novavax vaccines are ‘old’ technology
meaning there are already marketed vaccines for other diseases based on the same technology. Hopefully one of those will appeal to your aunt (assuming they make it to market), and others who feel similarly.

3 Likes

My 80 year old mom is a retired nurse and she was very reluctant to get the vaccine at first, preferring the “wait and see” approach. She rarely gets a flu shot, though she did this year. She takes COVID very seriously but felt the vaccine was rushed and didn’t trust the “new” technology no matter what anyone told her.

When it came time to register her for the vaccine in our state since she’s over 75, she was still reluctant but asked me to find her the info sheets on both Pfizer and Moderna, like a nurse gives you at an appointment for any vax. I found those online, plus some other data about the vaccine trials and mRNA technology. That was all she needed to feel comfortable I guess, because she happily went to the appointment days later for her first shot. No symptoms at all, not even a sore arm really.

As an aside, she has since read an article about COVID long haulers that really affected her and said she’s thankful she’s able to get the vaccine now.

6 Likes

I think a great deal about the tragic “Cutter incident” with the polio vaccine. If the mindset of today had been present then I think we’d still be dealing with polio. Back then people recognized that we had to accept some risk of problems for the greater good.

8 Likes