Vaccine reluctance & General COVID Discussion

The vaccine trials checked for symptomatic, severe, and fatal disease. The trials did not check for asymptomatic infections, so the vaccines’ effects on asymptomatic infections are unknown.

The unknown factor means that someone who has been vaccinated but is being cautious to protect others will continue to practice social distancing and masking measures unless in a private location where all other people present or who could be present are also vaccinated.

3 Likes

I won’t comment except to say that if someone doesn’t understand something starting the conversation by saying the information is available and you should have understood it is a non-starter.

Just for the record I have read a lot on the subject. So if I’m not fully understanding it, how many people are?

1 Like

I apologize for the tone. I’m not in the medical field, but I have a son who is and another who likely had Covid back in March ending up as a long hauler. I have another uncle who likely died from it. I make a point to try to keep up with as much information as I can get hold of - and I probably see more than most since med school lad shares his AMA updates with me all the time. I forget that not everyone is as up on the info. Again, I apologize.

Part of the “rush” of this vaccine is not being able to fully assess just how much protection it confers. We don’t know about asymptomatic cases or spread. We only know that, to date, no one has died from Covid once fully vaccinated and it greatly reduces severe cases.

There have been rare severe side effects, most of which end up being treatable.

There have been rare deaths post vaccine, but again, to date, no one knows that they have been caused by the vaccine. Humans die every day, so statistically with millions vaccinated, some will have died anyway, but whether or not the vaccine seems to have had any role is still being studied.

What is known is many people have been hit hard with Covid and no one knows who will draw the short straw ahead of time. Far, far more draw the short straw with Covid than the vaccine, both with deaths and after effects that could linger for years or come back to haunt in older age. This is true of all ages >16/18. They’re not even on the same scale really. Since the vaccines work at stopping the greater problem for adults, they have been granted emergency use authorization while the more minor things, including how it affects kids, are still being studied.

One of the potentially good minor things is immunity might be longer lasting - as with the measles vaccine. If so, getting a double dose now could help everyone younger as they age. Over time we’ll find out if it’s true. It would be great if it is true, but only time will tell.

7 Likes

I have read a lot on the subject, focusing on information provided by scientists and medical professionals. I avoid reading information from people who are not experts in science or medicine. I don’t have a medical background, but I do feel I understand the basics of how the vaccine works and what it does/does not do. I don’t say this to make myself seem better than anyone else … I simply offer it as a data point (I am not a medical professional and I do feel I have an understanding of the vaccine & its limitations).

3 Likes

At my wife’s hospital, they discovered people were spreading infection by sitting near each other in the break rooms. So they’ve moved tables further apart and limited how many people can share a room. (On the COVID floor the limit is 1.) Anyway, it’s best to take precautions and get vaccinated.

6 Likes

@Happytimes2001 I edited my post because I never meant to shame anyone. I’m glad you pointed it out. Sometimes it’s difficult to see how something written can be taken. My apologies again.

1 Like

What your wife’s hospital saw with spread in the break rooms (and over lunch, after work, etc) is what my med school lad’s hospital system saw too. People were getting stressed out and trying to relax by being around one another and that’s where Covid spread.

1 Like

No worries and thanks for the apology. I do realize that we are often writing and thinking at the same time. Often happens with texts as well. As I said, I do appreciate the info/understanding.

2 Likes

My husband had that happen at his place of business, despite being forbidden to gather in the break room.

… especially very old people who need nursing home care who are among the early priority groups to get the vaccine.

4 Likes

Thanks so much! We are all just trying to share information and keep this open. I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Seems like if one wants to socialize during breaks or after work, or remove PPE to eat lunch, it would be safer to do it outside at a distance rather than in an enclosed (possibly small) indoor break room.

4 Likes

@ucbalumnus but winter! Many parts of the country have temps well below freezing and snow on the ground and falling - not easy to step Outside to eat a sandwich! :blush:

Have to say I work in a hospital and when I walk past the cafeteria it sort of freaks me out to see the various people-
Mostly employees - sitting unmasked and eating , even with tables apart. I’m very thankful I have my own office to sit in.

But true that break rooms are usually small and over the course of 24 hours potential used by three shifts of people, even IF cleaned.

3 Likes

At this point, I hope that many (most?) medical personnel in the cafeteria have had their 2 doses of the vaccine.

My husband’s business tells their employees that they need to eat in their cars. The break room and gathering are not permitted and if caught, will be written up. It stinks but they are invested in not spreading the virus.

I heard a physician say that he usually did not eat while at the hospital but if he did, he would go to his car in the parking garage and eat his lunch.

I understand that this can be impossible at many medical institutions as your car can be a mile or more from your work site.

But my husband’s essential business has gone above and beyond to keep its employees safe. It’s been difficult and expensive but they haven’t had to shut down.

Not trying to be difficult but also understanding that keeping the virus from spreading is also hard.

5 Likes

In our system I would say in the next couple of weeks “most” will have had 2 shots. But the cafeteria thing has been going on for weeks - don’t worry I bring ALL my food from home! :blush: And while visitors are limited there are visitors and people on the campus for lab work, doc appts etc so who knows who is eating in there!

There are niche places to grab a quiet alone a spot if you know where to go.

And I don’t blame employers for fully discouraging break gatherings

2 Likes

This is pretty much how I felt/feel now.
H was inclined to wait until one of my doctors told me to postpone my appointment for several biopsies due to her hospital being overwhelmed with C19 patients. She suggested waiting until I’ve been vaccinated. Now H is ready to get it as soon as we can.

4 Likes

It’s just frustrating when medical personnel says (not calling out @CC_Jon as I’m happy he said what his wife’s explanation is and it’s an explanation I’ve heard before)that they don’t want to get vaccinated because they are protected by PPE and they know how to prevent spread.

But then they need to eat in break rooms while taking off their PPE.

It’s just the same as me going to a family holiday gathering. Or eating at a restaurant. Or any other gathering. Except that medical personnel in the hospital is doing this every single shift. And that they know there is virus in the building.

Of course that’s how it’s spreading. Of course.

2 Likes

Or your car can be at home (Some people do take public transportation to work). Or you could not own a car. Or you could be in Minnesota and it could be -2 degrees in your car.

My daughter is now working from home, but I know her company doesn’t allow any food to be shared, and I’m not sure if they’re allowing any at all. The employees don’t have offices but can ‘check out’ a work space (table, conference room, desk area) if they are in the office (and they need an appointment)

1 Like

Definitely agree with you @twoinanddone.

I live in Northern Michigan, while not as cold as Minnesota, it’s still pretty cold. People still have to eat in their cars. Actually most people drive trucks but same. My husband’s work sites are in pretty remote areas so no public transportation. Mostly no cell phone coverage either lol!

But as you pointed out, there can be solutions to communal break rooms.

1 Like

My daughter takes public transportation to her job as a hospital nurse. She can’t sit in a car to eat, never mind that wending her way out of the hospital and back to the exit would eat up half her break. And often she already only has time for a 5 min break. The nurses were trying not to gather but for goodness sakes they are on their feet for 12+ hours. They have to eat.

2 Likes