Vanderbilt Admissions Regular Decision Fall 2022

Daughter Accepted for Engineering. She had applied to Computer Science but no merit scholarship.

6 Likes

Very interesting info regarding RD stats.
4.7 % acceptance rate

3 Likes

When will the additional scholarships be released?

What ones do you mean? They released the rest of them in admissions decisions I believeā€¦I received a small one and I was rejected previously from the Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarship.

I was specifically curious about the Fred Russell - Grantland Rice sportswriting scholarship.

Both are tremendous options. Heā€™s leaning towards UCLA since we live in Southern California. Also, UCLA now guarantees 4 years of housing. Weā€™ve heard that housing can be tough at Cal.

1 Like

Vanderbilt has started to make offers of admission off their Waitlist. Classmate heard today. There was need based financial aid with the offer as well. The school is giving them a very small window of a few days to decide.

5 Likes

Interesting. DS committed to Duke, declined all his schools (Cornell was painful for me as I went there for graduate school, but Iā€™m looking forward to spending some time in the South) and then withdrew his waitlists at Carnegie Mellon and Northeastern. He stayed on the waitlists for Vanderbilt and Rice. I think this weekend if he hasnā€™t heard, heā€™ll withdraw from Vanderbilt too. As each day passes, he becomes more and more invested in Duke. But, thereā€™s a lot to love about Vanderbilt ā€¦ Good luck everyone.

1 Like

Congrats!!! But curious was there something specific (a program) about Vanderbilt and Rice? Just seems like far more optionality with Dukeā€¦

I think personality wise he feels Rice would be an easier (not necessarily better) fit. He was drawn to the residential program at Rice, but Dukeā€™s new program feels quite similar. Vanderbilt is a sentimental favorite, his favorite cousin attended and he grew up hearing about it. He also applied for the Cornelius Vanderbilt - knowing it was a long shot, but that if it came through, it would have been fabulous. And, I donā€™t have to sell all of you on the joys of Nashville! Finally, as a potential mechanical engineer, heā€™s a little worried that the Duke program is small - the majority of students in Pratt (the Duke engineering school) seem to be studying biomedical engineering. But you are right ā€¦ Duke is actually a very good fit for him and being part of a smaller program has tons of benefits, including research opportunities, something heā€™s very interested in.

To be honest, in this crazy year of admissions, my son did not expect to get into Duke, Vanderbilt or Rice and because of COVID we didnā€™t get to visit them, or Michigan (weā€™ve since been to Duke). We focused on schools we thought he had a better chance or were easy to drive to - visited Case Western, Purdue and Carnegie Mellon in one long driving trip, Northeastern, Binghamton, Cornell, Union and Tufts (he ultimately didnā€™t apply to Union or Tufts). We have old spreadsheets, but havenā€™t gone back to really do a deep dive on the schools he was waitlisted at. Itā€™s interesting - DS was so thoughtful about developing his list, but at some point you have to stop analyzing and make a choice. If Vanderbilt or Rice comes through, I suspect weā€™d have a tense few days but end up back at Duke. I did, after all, buy a t-shirt. But who knows? Again, good luck all.

2 Likes