Vanderbilt Class of 2025 — Regular Decision

can some please chance me for vanderbilt ED2 :,)

Hii. I recently switched my application from RD to ED2. I am applying as a violin performance major (BM) to the Blair School of Music. Here are my stats. Btw for music ik that stats aren’t everything, it’s more about your auditon, interview, and connections. Just wanted to know if u think I have a chance

Demographics: White, female, public HS in Georgia, middle-class & dad owns a small business

GPA: not on a 4.0 scale… so 95 W and 93 UW

ACT: 32 (one day score & superscore lol) ik it’s not high, but considering I started at an 18 (not even kidding) i’m satisfied with it haha

AP Tests: AP Lang (5) & currently taking AP Music Theory online

Essays: Pretty decent. Personal statement was really good and revealing of a lot of struggles I’ve had in my past; I def opened up a lot but not too much. I connected it to music/violin. Vanderbilt essay about extracurricular activity could have possibly been better. My idea was good; I wrote about playing my violin for senior citizens and how it brings them joy and it’s nostalgic for them and whatever. I think the prompt was just kinda boring so my essay wasn’t super interesting lol

Rec letters: I got a letter of rec from Emory University’s music dept head so that’s good I think. Also got one from my violin teacher who went to Juilliard and Curtis. From school I got one from my lang teacher and anatomy teacher.

Activities: Emory Youth Symphony Orchestra Principal Player, Cross Country runner, French Club President, Yearbook Photographer, DECA Vice President and Member, Notes of Joy Club Member (community service club with music), high school orchestra Concertmaster, Leader of the music services at my synagogue, Babysitting/Nannying over the summer

Honors: Accepted into Governor’s Honors Program junior year, and Nominee sophomore year (if ur not from GA maybe u don’t know what this is but it’s a pretty big deal here and the acceptance rate is like 1% oof), State competitor for DECA in Advertising & Vice President of the club, National Honors Society Member, Honor-Roll student, Student Council Representative for 10 years.

Connections: I’ve been in contact with the Dean at the music school and we’ve conversed pretty frequently. He helped me switch to ED2. I also had a trial lesson with the professor I want to study under for my lessons, and I had a rly good interview with the violin faculty. My current violin teacher has also been in touch with the professor I want to study under for my lessons, and the professor apparently spoke very highly of me and my pre-audition recording and she loves my teacher so that’s good.

Also, I got waitlisted from UNC and I got into Indiana which is rly good for music. I got into their honors college and I got a scholarship. And, full ride to URI but that’s my safe school. That’s all I know.

Ik stats could be better but like I said music is top priority so basically I just practice a ■■■■ ton instead of studying :,)

My son recently changed his ED2 to RD. At first he was absolutely positive about doing ED but has gotten nervous about the commitment because of the cost. We live in WI and in Oct. we took a quick trip down. In and out in 24 hours. We were able to connect with someone from our area who is a senior at Vandy. She spent the entire afternoon showing us around. Better than any generic campus tour ever would have been. Her boyfriend met up with us and showed my son all around the engineering building. If you can have your D/S talk to the school counselor to see if a recent grad is at Vandy I would highly recommend trying to visit. You will NOT be disappointed. Good luck!

1 Like

My D21 also applied for a merit scholarship and I’m pretty sure they do not require interviews. He did have an interview back in December but that was just with an alum. They say those interviews really have no bearing on acceptance but the interviewer did say that he would submit notes on their interview. My son said it was pretty laid back and really just an informational interview where he could ask questions and the interviewer shared their experience. I wouldn’t stress if you don’t get an interview. They did say that not everyone would have the chance to be interviewed. Best of luck to all!

1 Like

That is reassuring. Thanks. We are from New England & it is possible that there are not many Vanderbilt alums available in our region. My daughter has applied RD and the other reason could be that they are focusing on interviewing the ED students first. Goodluck to your son too!

I believe the interviews are all virtual so location wouldn’t be an issue.

I am not sure how Vanderbilt schedules their alum interviews. But for the other T20 colleges my D21 interviewed, all alums were local to our state and fairly close to where we live. That being said, Vanderbilt and this year could be different.

I keep commenting about that as well, but all of my D’s interviews have been with alums in our area. So those schools (she has not had a Vandy interview) must be using region in some manner even with the virtual format.

1 Like

Is Mosaic happening this year?

1 Like

@spfather What is Mosaic?

I am an ED2 applicant, and my interviewer lived in Pennsylvania, but I live in Tennessee. It might just be random this year!

Great question, we were wondering the same thing. I recall seeing those packets going in the mail around this time.

I was hoping they would do it again this year and that my kid would get an invite since that would be a good sign re admission

1 Like

Does anyone know when RD decisions will be released?

According to their website, late March. That’s a LONG time away. :frowning:

2 Likes

Last year, decisions released on March 25th at 5 pm CT!

1 Like

Well this will be torture… 6 weeks!

1 Like

I’m sure you could call admissions and just ask about Mosaic.

1 Like

True
I don’t know why but it seems needy to do that … tho not any more than asking the question on a measure board .

You don’t have to identify yourself. Just ask whoever answers the phone.

Current Vandy student. MOSAIC is definitely happening (check out MOSAIC’s instagram at @vumosaic), but I’d expect delays in notification. Feel free to DM if you have any questions!

1 Like