Vanderbilt vs UT Austin

Hi! So I got into both UT Austin and Vanderbilt’s music schools, and both gave me full rides. UT Austin gave be about 33k, and Vandy gave me about 92k. I have no idea what to do. I’m a first-gen student so the prospect of attending Vandy (4.2% acceptance rate this year) is really thrilling, and the ridiculous amount of money they’re offering is also very enticing, but also, I have a support system at UT Austin already and I would probably get home to Houston more easily. I would like some advice.

You should post in this thread specifically dedicated to helping music majors decide which school to attend

There are many music major parents who should be able to answer your questions. Congratulations on your stellar acceptances!

Lots of non stops from Nashville to Houston - both Hobby and IAH.

There’s something to be said for being away for college vs. being able to go home often.

Obviously, the schools are different - UT being large and super urban and Vandy being smaller and while urban, it’s not in downtown (close though).

I’m not a music major dad - but Blair at Vandy is very well known - for what that’s worth - probably not much.

I would choose the school environment that you feel is best for you to excel.

The cost differentials don’t matter - both are giving you a free education - so whether it’s $90K or $30K, the output is all the same.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you!! I wasn’t sure where to post this

Congratulations on your great acceptances! Have you been able to connect with the primary professor/teacher on your instrument at both of these schools? As a music major, your primary professor will have a major impact on your experience. You will want to be sure that there is a good fit with respect to teaching style, communication, playing tone and technique. If you have not done so already, I suggest you contact each program and ask for a sample lesson, either in person or remotely.
I saw from one of your other posts that you are a clarinetist. I believe @kokotg has a son in the clarinet studio at Blair/Vanderbilt and may be able to chime in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.