Vax

<p>Tried to make an apt for S at Dr for his physical because I read somewhere that he should bring his vaccination info to BB. I thought the Dr would tell me what he needed. Sad to find out the doctor he’s had for 18 years has left, but anyway they said he wasn’t eligible to come in until Aug because of insurance.
Any idea what shots are required for Bama? meningitis, measels, TB? Can I send them in later after his physical in Aug?</p>

<p>The immunization form is on the Student Health Center page. S can’t have his physical till June but just went by the office to get TB skin test, meningitis vaccine and tetanus shot. I think it just requires all immunizations to be up to date + TB test.</p>

<p>You don’t have to have all the immunizations before Bama Bound…just as long as you get them sometime this summer, I think. (But don’t quote me!)</p>

<p>CVS Minute Clinic, Wal-Mart Med Clinic, a local Med-Check and some pharmacies have TB Screening available. Our local pharmacy has 2 Nurse Practioners on staff and they completed my vax for Africa and my daughter’s vax for Alabama summer program. The cost was much cheaper to go through the pharmacy than a visit to the dr’s office.</p>

<p>Our family doctor didn’t stock the meningitis shot, so we called the Bama health center and they told us to come in during BB and sons could get the shot there. </p>

<p>Meningitis is req’d to be in dorms.</p>

<p>Hepititis ( I think ) is recommended.</p>

<p>All other shots must be up to date.</p>

<p>TB test is a multi-day deal…get the “injection” and then the location has to “read and recorded” a few days later by a RN.</p>

<p>I talked to the data clerk at the school where I teach – she looks at those forms all day long. The big change in vaccination schedules for our kids (as far as “required”) is a booster for the MMR and the addition of the Varicella (chickenpox) vaccine. We did the Hepatitis as well and it’s a 2 shot deal (6 months apart).</p>

<p>I don’t think we have any of those types of pharmacy’s in CT. In fact I couldn’t even get S a flu shot there this year, they changed the rules, no one under 18. I will try the pediatricians office and see if they can just do the vax soon (after graduation, we can’t do another thing before graduation).</p>

<p>The Student Health Center at UA should be able to administer all vaccines/tests if needed. I just went to my pediatrician’s office and a nurse practitioner gave me all the required shots and TB test. I remember being told that my insurance would only cover the meningitis shot if I was under 18.</p>

<p>ldinct, your county health office may be able to administer vaccinations. Otherwise, it may be easier to go to a nearby state to get them done.</p>