Venting About Out Of State Travel

<p>That is what my son has found too, Mike. We did purchase the return from airport to campus this time, but he found a ride to campus once he got to the airport and did not have to wait 3 hours for the shuttle. He did not have a problem finding a ride to the airport on the way home.</p>

<p>DS had found rides each time, except for today. He lands at 3:00 and he’s booked on the 4:00 shuttle.</p>

<p>Okay, I will post my two cents for OOS parents. I have written to the UA shuttle service for a change in scheduling. Some changes have been already been made but I am only one voice, parents whose needs are not being met for their students need to write directly to the university and politely voice their opinions and their proposed changes. One email does a little, lots of emails can accomplish a lot more.</p>

<p>robotbldmom, please tell me who you’ve found to be the most effective person to send the message to and I am on it. PM me if you prefer not post names.</p>

<p>In response to the other messages - my son has gotten a ride from a fellow student before. I’ve also seen that Facebook group, where students post scrambling for a ride because the student they were supposed to ride with forgot them or is delayed or etc. Frankly, I would much prefer a public transit option (which obviously is not a choice) or a regularly scheduled UA shuttle, operating say every 90 to 120 minutes or so, around the clock, on shuttle days. I think the current system of scheduled times and waiting for delayed flights is nonsense, so much so that I scheduled a taxi for my son when his flight was a close call to the shuttle at Thanksgiving time so that he wouldn’t inconvenience anyone else.</p>

<p>On a positive note, the shuttle dropped D at her dorm yesterday so she didn’t have to walk 1/2 mile with two bags and a backpack. Also positive was that she was able to catch an earlier than scheduled shuttle.</p>

<p>I know DS didn’t like the “chance” of any problems arriving at 4:00 Monday - sounds like the right decision. He and I made the decision to pay the extra and fly in Sunday . . . I figured he’s “paid” his dues and earned this perk, a lot of hard work … note to self - make dad’s favorite dinner when bill arrives. ;)</p>

<p>Seeing his big grin on facebook post from T-town post game, worth it!
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I’ve responded to some PM’s with the services I’ve used. Hope they will be of help to you in the future.</p>

<p>I wanted to say that the Limo service, that I got from the housing service, does charge a reduced rate if they have other passengers around the same time. I had to ride it alone, so it was top price, but I really enjoyed the ride, got a lead on an internship for son, even, and was entertained with stories of life as a college van driver. Even though the tip was included in my credit card charge, I tipped him extra cash as I was so relieved to have a nice ride. Got to ride in a Mercedes Benz Van, like the American Pickers ride in, but much nicer! Talk about luxury!</p>

<p>The cab service I’ve used from the train and hotel to campus to pick up my son’s car had flyers up at Riverside, so I hope he gets some more business. I got his card from the hotel I stayed at, and I will use him next time I go to the airport. His wife is a nursing student, he’s got three little kids, so I’m happy to help a hard working young man. Nice clean car and felt very safe riding with him. I have to use a taxi to get to the airport even from home, and I’ve been in some trashy cabs, so I’m thrilled to recommend this guy as a taxi service.</p>

<p>Hope all your kids have a safe and fulfilling spring semester!</p>

<p>Here is a little known tip (sshhh…) if you are staying at the Hotel Capstone, they have a van which will take you to the Amtrak station free of charge, just remember to tip the driver, they can fit in a suitcase as well. This is available only if the driver is not busy, so inquire first. Don’t have an expectation that they can do this but if they can, it is very very convenient.</p>

<p>I agree that a finding ride with a friend is a good idea. For this trip my DD insisted on flying in on Saturday so she would be assured to make it into Tuscaloosa by Monday evening to watch them game. No snow storm or other bad weather this year, so all went as planned.</p>

<p>As a student who has taken the shuttle three times, I just wanted to throw in my opinion! It’s not fun having to wait a few hours for the shuttle (I have waited 3+ hours at the airport every time I took the shuttle), but it’s much worse for the passengers to wait on a cramped bus for an hour for the late passengers, especially when it is not the last shuttle of the day. At least, the airport has comfortable seating, food, and room to move.</p>

<p>I used the shuttle to return home from winter break and was incredibly disappointed. Although they charge a fairly high price for the shuttle compared to how much it would cost for a private taxi, they were too cheap to send out multiple buses and instead tried to fit everyone and all of their luggage onto one bus. We were packed like a bunch of sardines. At least 10 passengers were not able to fit on the bus and were left at the airport for the next shuttle to come. Then the shuttle drops you off at the transit hub and expects you to walk to your dorm with all of your luggage. I will not be using the shuttle again, because it is not convenient, comfortable, reliable, nor is it affordable considering the poor service.</p>

<p>A HUGE thank you to for this info! I had thought that when my D starts to UA next year she would use the shuttle. Based solely on oxfordsandcommas post, she would HATE it! She will have a car on campus but do not want her driving to/from Birmingham if she were by herself. I won’t mind if she ride shares with others for a taxi or limo service. I know there are going to be a good number of kids she is already meeting from the Dallas area so if they got on the same flights that would be great. </p>

<p>Cars: When/if D leaves her car on campus to fly home for Thanksgiving, Spring Break, etc. how safe is it? Is there a good campus security patrol even during breaks in the parking lot? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>S drives to BHM all the time, easy drive. He has also used Birmingham Door to Door which has been great. H used Tony’s airport transfer for his 7:30 am flight today. $60 one way for students.</p>

<p>TxNewCollegeMom, as ldinct says, it’s an easy drive and I would not be concerned about your D driving her car to the airport alone. That being said, I am confident she could always have passengers with her should she choose to do so. Having her own car at the airport will give your D so much more freedom as far as flight schedules go. If you look at the times offered for spring break, you’ll see the choices are not all that great, especially for someone like my S who has a Friday afternoon lab. </p>

<p>Son used Tony’s for Thanksgiving. As there were 3 kids sharing, it was $35 each student plus tip, which is a hair more than the school shuttle but worth the difference for peace of mind 10 times over.</p>

<p>^^ Agree with the previous 2 posters. The airport is an easy drive, and BHM is an easy airport to navigate. My D drove to and parked at the airport for fall and T’giving breaks. She’s done it alone and with other kids, and it’s not something I worry about.</p>

<p>Where does one park at the airport and how much does it cost?</p>

<p>Some private shuttles will not do a very early morning pickup; like a 3:30am pickup for the first flight of the day. Others will, but charge a premium which is understandable. However this is very pricey. The first flights of the day are usually the cheapest if you are traveling long distances. Some parents feel that they will just book a later fight and add the less expensive shuttle service. Early morning travel works much better for our scheduling, and is often the only nonstop flight of the day minimizing travel times for my student. </p>

<p>I have again contacted the UA shuttle service about parent’s concerns, and if you PM me I will provide an email to use when requesting proposed changes or voicing complaints.</p>

<p>As for parking at the airport, I don’t know if BHM has this, but I use Park N Fly when I visit my mom in Houston. I book and pay online, and get a discount with Triple A. It usually runs me about 9 bucks a day. I think some airports provide long term parking in their garages, and last I looked, which has been awhile, it was about 15 bucks a day. I’m thinking of taking advantage of this myself, as these drives to and from Ttown are too much for this old lady nowadays.</p>

<p>BHM has some small off-airport parking lots in addition to the airport lots, none of which are overly expensive compared to what you’d see in bigger cities, think $9+tax per day.</p>

<p>ldinct, I’ve always been charged $65 for Tony’s shuttle. I think he said $60 this last time, but with tip I pay $70. </p>

<p>I’ve always complained that the people who schedule the shuttles must never fly anywhere as the shuttle times do not correspond to flight times. It took me 3 years to get a 6am shuttle, yet UA keeps a 5pm shuttle that doesn’t work for any flights (there are shuttles the day after the 5pm shuttle). Only having shuttles on the most expensive flight days, the Sunday after spring break comes immediately to mind, doesn’t help either. </p>

<p>I’m torn on having the buses wait for late flights when there are other shuttles later on. As one who typically lands a couple hours before a shuttle, I don’t like having to wait even longer, but I know all to well that flight delays can really mess up schedules. I try to land in BHM early in the day so that if there are any flight delays or opportunities to get bumped off a full flight, I’ll still be able to catch a shuttle.</p>