Videos for arts supplement - help?

D24’s instrument is violin.

First question is whether it is sufficient to use an iphone camera/microphone for the recordings, or whether most people buy some kind of better microphone to capture the sound better and then sync it with the video?

Second question is what is the easiest way to add the name of the piece/composer to the video itself? Did anyone use YouTube, Vimeo, etc., or can this be done directly in Photos with an iphone?

thanks in advance.

I would not use iPhone to record. The audio is not good. My son and several friends use Zoom Q2n recorder. The recording sounds much better than iPhone. It costs $200. We’ve also used laptop+yeti blue, also good audio quality. It costs about $100. Some schools require raw recording without any editing. To avoid misunderstanding, it’s better not do anything to the video file.

1 Like

We used Zoom H-2 several years back. It is good to have one anyway for future performances.

We had some of S24s pieces professionally recorded we had others recorded at home. For the home ones we used a iPhone and a zoom recorder and merged the video and audio onto one file with iMovie. He did not edit the video at all to add anything. He named each piece in the arts supplement his name, composer name and name of piece. Please feel free to message me if you want more help

2 Likes

My son recorded his at a college music room (his voice teacher teaches there) with iphone I believe. We uploaded to youtube and sent out those links. (He was accepted to all schools he applied to).

@helpingthekid73, are you in nyc by any chance? If so, can you recommend the professional you used for the recording? If not, can you send me a link to the zoom recorder you used? thanks in advance!

I will pm you

We used laptop+yeti blue mic and my kid did well with admissions and got through competitive pre-screens. If your student is planning on minoring in music, having a decent recording mic available isn’t a bad idea.

ETA - my teen introduced me to a free tool called HitFilm Express for video editing, can add text and fade into the video. There are a bunch of tutorials on YouTube. Works on apple or PC.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VideoMicMeC--rode-videomic-me-c-usb-c-directional-microphone-for-smartphones

I have used this microphone with great success with my iPhone. There is a usb c version and a lightning version. Put the iPhone on a tripod with a holder and you will be all set. If you want to get really fancy, you can use an app from Davinci that allows more control over the video. Here’s an example…

Just for laughs

1 Like

My son used his iPhone, the only thing we bought was a nice tripod. He got substantial merit aid at two music schools (one was a conservatory). If memory serves, some of the schools even explicitly said not to buy any special equipment or rent a studio. He is a percussionist, so had to play where the equipment was — in the high school band hall.

1 Like