Virginia Tech Class of 2025 — Decision Release Date: Mar 1-15

VT seems to be heavily using the waitlist offer as a gauge of demonstrated interest for high stats students since they so badly screwed up on yield two years ago. But, I looked at the CDS for this year’s freshman (who also had a lot of waitlisting of high-stats kids) and it looks like there’s plenty of reason to be optimistic about the waitlist. Last year, about 2/3 accepted the waitlist spot and over half of those were ultimately offered admission.

9 Likes

Don’t know but they have 1800 honors total students so I assume 450/6700 so that’s like 6-7 percent of freshman class.

1 Like

VT routinely admits the same general average number of IS and OOS students, with IS representing approximately 70% of the student body. There’s no data to support your assertion. Please try to keep in mind that the results you see posted on CC represent a statistically insignificant picture of the overall process. On average, a fraction of 1% of the applicant pool posts their results here. A majority of posts on this thread being from OOS applicants means nothing in the big picture.

5 Likes

I feel so bad for all of the terrific kids who were waitlisted or denied this year and agree. My son’s stats weren’t nearly as high, but this waitlist really stung as he really invested his whole heart into VT after falling in love with it when we visited during his junior summer: Going to many virtual events, researching majors and minors, talking to his admissions rep and an academic dean about double major and internship opportunities, and working on his essays. In hindsight it was probably a big mistake to let him apply to a major that essentially only has 15-25 out-of-state students in it each year, and getting in off the waitlist for one of those coveted spaces would be like getting into Harvard (as a side note I wish Virginia Tech admissions would share past waitlist movement stats by major as I would be curious if small majors ever move). That being said he still wants to accept the waitlist spot and hope for a miracle. Thankfully he has some other very good options that we will push him towards as we expect this inevitably will not play out in his favor.

1 Like

The best way to demonstrate interest at VT is to apply Early Decision. High stats kids being waitlisted at EA is not new or unique to this class… same conversations took place on previous year’s results threads.

2 Likes

Son also accepted from Tennessee.
Gen Eng/ ME
Congratulations!

2 Likes

Correct. For more IS reaction, you can go to the DC Urban Moms board for NOVA feedback. More IS, fewer OOS acceptances, in a different pattern.

But not as much difference as you would think.

Also, the self-reported info on both boards is heavily skewed to Engineering, which historically has the lowest admit rate.

In any event, it’s a weird year, and we’ve seen it both from the accepted and deferred POV.

So true. Last year’s results thread was what made me so nervous for yesterday’s results since its currently my S21’s top choice. According to his school’s Naviance data, VT looked like it should be a “safety” for him but I remember all the high stats kids last year who were blindsided by being waitlisted. It doesn’t seem to be a true safety school for anyone. Luckily we were able to celebrate an acceptance last night but it could have gone either way.

3 Likes

Congratulations, from another Tennesseean. My son also accepted in engineering. Go Hokies!

1 Like

I had the same worries for my S21 and really thought he should apply ED. He wanted to also try for UVA (denied there) because he didn’t have a clear first choice between the two so opted for EA at both. Fortunately, it worked out for him and he’s happy that he’s going to VT. I think if he’d been able to go to more in-person events like the Spring Open House that got cancelled that could have given him more confidence to pick it for ED. I’m sure he’s not the only one who was in that situation given all the cancelled in-person events.

Thank you! He is excited. Congratulations to your son!
My son will double major in Spanish and undecided science. He has two more schools to go in RD (no EA there…and he didn’t want to do ED). I have no idea what he will decide.

1 Like

Absolutely! ED was a risk at any school this year for those reasons.

Congratulations to your son! And thank you.

1 Like

My son is in the same boat…a very strange admissions year!

waitlisted - gen ed/computer science. OOS. 4.3 W test optional, so sad rn :frowning:

Hi, how would I know if I’ve been accepted into the honors program?

It’s listed right under financial aid in portal.

Thank you for replying! I don’t see any messages regarding the honors college under fin aid. Can you please tell me what kind of message I should expect to see?

It’s the next section. There is a checkbox on the app. Maybe it wasn’t checked on app.

D accepted in-state for chemistry major
30 ACT (25 M, 26 S, 35 R and 34 E, lopsided scores due to only one chance to take test)
4.04 W GPA, class rank 11/391
Some academic awards and 3 APs with 3 more on schedule this year plus a DE class
Legacy (grandfather got a master’s there)
Performing arts academy high school
Not a ton of ECs but strong devotion to one, about 20 hours a week, which included weekly volunteer hours
Part-time job

For comparison’s sake: She is also accepted to JMU, ODU, VCU, and Radford. Deferred from UVA ED and waiting on UVA and W&M before she makes up her mind.

1 Like